Cover for my debut novel

CrystalCierlak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalcierlak.com
So I came up with the idea for this cover the other day and quickly made a mockup in Photoshop (for a few hours). I have to use my older Dell laptop since my Macbook Pro doesn't have Photoshop on it, and the color differences between the two are very noticeable. I went back and forth between the two and have come up with a version that I really like, but I still see some places where it can be improved.

I'm concerned with title placement and visibility of the text. I'd also like to read any thoughts on initial impression of the graphics, if they pull you in or not. Any comments/constructive criticism in general would be very appreciated.

Image: http://www.crystalcierlak.com/Zoe/ZOEbookcover-7.jpg

I'm also playing around with the idea of flipping the image 90 degrees, which I have an example of here:

http://www.crystalcierlak.com/Zoe/landingimage2.jpg

The font on this image is one from the first image, but I feel like it could be better. In fact, I think all of the text needs work to increase visibility.

Edit: I added a new version in post #18
Edit 2: I added a new version in post #33
Edit 3: I added a new version in post #40

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm impressed. I think the text needs a little work, to make it a little more readable. But other than that, that's pretty awesome!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The text should be clearer and you don't need "a novel by". Other than that the graphic is nice. It makes me think YA sci fi with female protagonist. Is that on target?

CrystalCierlak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalcierlak.com
Frankly, I'm impressed. I think the text needs a little work, to make it a little more readable. But other than that, that's pretty awesome!

If I may ask, why "impressed"? I take it that's a good thing. I do agree about the text and it's something I've worked on for about 8 versions of the cover. The perfectionist/OCD in me wants to get it just right.

The text should be clearer and you don't need "a novel by". Other than that the graphic is nice. It makes me think YA sci fi with female protagonist. Is that on target?

Thank you. Does "A novel by" make it sound as if it's some sort of great announcement? Like, "and now, a novel by Crystal Cierlak, whom you've obviously been aware of your entire life." It seems a bit wonky to me, lol. I can definitely change it.

You're not far off on the subject. It's new/adult (the MC is 25) and definitely sci-fi/romance with a bit of fantasy.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
25 isn't "New Adult". It's plain adult. New adult is the categorization for college years, so you're looking at 18-22.

CrystalCierlak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalcierlak.com
25 isn't "New Adult". It's plain adult. New adult is the categorization for college years, so you're looking at 18-22.

Well people seem to have differing opinions on that. Why is a three year age difference (22 to 25) so significant in terms of genre when a story about someone in their 40's or 50's (two or three decades in difference) is also considered adult? I'm mostly going by generation so if it helps, consider it a book for Millennials (which is 18-30).

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I actually like the cover and the text treatment. It took me a moment to read "Thanatos" but Zoe felt clear. You might check it at thumbnail size, but I think it looks intriguing. :)

Edit: I'll note that your last name is a bit hard to read, though.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
This is a nitpick, but I hate it when I see stars overlapping planets is these kinds of images.

Other than that, it looks good. The text is hard to read though.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
The collision is stronger in the 90 degree version, but it will be a challenge to get the image in the right dimensions for a book cover since it is wider across than from top to bottom. I like the blue and pink, reminds me of a young woman and young man colliding emotionally, as well as literally (as in the blowing up of two worlds).

CrystalCierlak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalcierlak.com
The collision is stronger in the 90 degree version, but it will be a challenge to get the image in the right dimensions for a book cover since it is wider across than from top to bottom. I like the blue and pink, reminds me of a young woman and young man colliding emotionally, as well as literally (as in the blowing up of two worlds).

I had never even considered the blue and pink as gender references. That kind of blew my mind as there is definitely that kind of dynamic between the female MC and the male MC. Very interesting.

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
I'm impressed. The image and the title are gorgeous, but I would recommend adding a white border/shadow around the letters for your author line. Your last name is particularly hard to read because that one spot on the blue planet is darker than the rest. Simple fix, though. Great work. =)

(Also, I like the original version better than the 90 degree angle thing.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Well people seem to have differing opinions on that. Why is a three year age difference (22 to 25) so significant in terms of genre when a story about someone in their 40's or 50's (two or three decades in difference) is also considered adult? I'm mostly going by generation so if it helps, consider it a book for Millennials (which is 18-30).

Because the maturity / experience difference in a 22 yr old vs a 25 yr old is vastly wider than that of a 40 yr old vs a 50 yr old.

22 is the average graduation age for undergrad work. By the time someone's 25 they'll either be in grad school or well established in their career path. The "finding yourself" stage is over. Many, if not most, are considering families and it's more likely that they've already got kids of their own.

CrystalCierlak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalcierlak.com
Because the maturity / experience difference in a 22 yr old vs a 25 yr old is vastly wider than that of a 40 yr old vs a 50 yr old.

22 is the average graduation age for undergrad work. By the time someone's 25 they'll either be in grad school or well established in their career path. The "finding yourself" stage is over. Many, if not most, are considering families and it's more likely that they've already got kids of their own.

Well that wasn't my life experience and research actually shows that that traditional path is no longer actually "traditional". Many people are going to school later in life, they're more likely to put off having children and getting married (IIRC 1 in 3 are more likely to put it off). And that's just in the Millennial generation alone.

I was 26 when I graduated with my BA in Art and I'm now 29 and working on a MA in Media Psychology. When I graduate with my PhD I'll likely be between 34 and 36 years old. My boyfriend of 4 years and I very much want to get married but are putting it off, as we are with having children.

So there's no typical experience for a person of a particular age. Yes, at 29 I'm a different person than I was at 20/21, but between 22 and 25 I was still trying to figure out my identity. So that's how I cater to my characters... through my life experiences.

Plus I did say it was "new/adult" meaning new-slash-new-adult.

Last edited:

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
This is a nitpick, but I hate it when I see stars overlapping planets is these kinds of images.

I see what they're getting at. It bothers me too a little bit.

Maybe if you had the more concentrated planet area denser, and starless? The middle where they begin to merge with the mist could maybe have some stars, scarely, but there. But the little twinklelights on the planets bugs me a bit too.

Your surname is hardest to read, as it merges into space.. but if you took out the "a novel by", as already suggested, and centered your name, then the problem would fix itself.

Nonetheless, it's beautiful! Definitely impressive for a DIYer, and if you have the skills to, why the heck not.

CrystalCierlak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalcierlak.com
I made a few changes, mainly to the stars overlapping the planets, the "a novel by" text, and how my last name appears. To me it still looks as though the last part of my surname is disappearing. I may start over and re-build from scratch. Hmmm...

Here is the newer version:

Link to full-size image

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Well what if you extended the white cloudy area behind the name? Is that portion of the picture a fixed point, or can you still add to it via a layer? I think maybe if you extend it down to your last name, specifically the K and maybe a tiny bit beyond, so that it's not obvious that the sole purpose of it being there is because of the name, then I think you're golden.

Also, still nitpicking but there's still 10 stars or so in the blue planet. XD Sorry, but it is yours, so if you like those there, keep them. But I think that now the planets have been purged of stars, they look even more out of place.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
The cover seems empty to me, but that's probably more because I'm used to books with blurbs on the front and little images from the publisher.

So besides that the cover looks really professional and well done! I noticed that the title letters are slightly shadowed but your name doesn't seem to be shadowed. It's really a very small thing, but as a suggestion you could try and see if it looks better one way or the other.

Really awesome cover!

CrystalCierlak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalcierlak.com
Well what if you extended the white cloudy area behind the name? Is that portion of the picture a fixed point, or can you still add to it via a layer? I think maybe if you extend it down to your last name, specifically the K and maybe a tiny bit beyond, so that it's not obvious that the sole purpose of it being there is because of the name, then I think you're golden.

Also, still nitpicking but there's still 10 stars or so in the blue planet. XD Sorry, but it is yours, so if you like those there, keep them. But I think that now the planets have been purged of stars, they look even more out of place.

Yeah I'll definitely try that out to see how it works! I still have the original .psd with all the layers to play around with so that's not going to be a problem.

So without the stars the planets look empty? But it looks better when the stars aren't there?

I like the newer version better. Very nice job applying feedback.

Thank you! :D

The cover seems empty to me, but that's probably more because I'm used to books with blurbs on the front and little images from the publisher.

So besides that the cover looks really professional and well done! I noticed that the title letters are slightly shadowed but your name doesn't seem to be shadowed. It's really a very small thing, but as a suggestion you could try and see if it looks better one way or the other.

Really awesome cover!

That's something I was thinking about recently. It doesn't have a tagline or anything of the sort on the cover. That's not really something I thought about but I'm going to look at other book covers and see how I can learn from them to make mine better.

The letters around my name have basically a color outline that's sort of like a drop shadow. That's the piece of text I'm having the most difficulty with so I'll have to just play around with it until it looks good.

I'm really touched you think it looks professional. Guess I'm putting my art degree to good use! LOL

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
When it comes to commercial design, whitespace can be a godsend. I advise to compare your image to bestsellers in similar genres and see if it is more or less naked than most.