"Too Preachy"? Or: Is a Little Knowledge a Bad Thing in MG Fiction?

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Another question relating to my WIP 'The Enigma Files', folks! Hope you're not getting bored of them...

Anyways, I was wondering what the term 'too preachy' means in regards to children's novels? Is it solely concerning when your theme/morals become too blatant to the point of bring emblazoned on neon? Or can any knowledge/facts within fiction be considered 'too preachy'?

Case in point: for those still unaware, 'The Enigma Files' is my attempt at 'The X-Files for kids', and the protagonist, Karl Breslin, is the Mulder of the two (the MC, Mason Scott, is the Scully, but he's more 'average boy sarcastic' than clinically sceptical). About a third of the way in, and they're examining the scene of recent activity for any signs of trickery. When Mason asks why, Karl explains that many similar cases - poltergeists, for example - have been revealed to be nothing more than parlor tricks. He then goes on to briefly describe one 'famous' case from the past (well, famous for anyone with knowledge of the paranormal).

My question is, would this be acceptable? I know there are books like Percy Jackson that have roots in historical facts on mythology, but is this different? Would having Karl describing past investigations from the real world be a bad thing?

They did it all the time in the X-Files, to set the tone for each episode (Mulder would go over similar incidents to Scully via a slideshow or press clippings), but I understand that's a different medium, let alone a different age-range. Its just that there's such a wealth of information out there, and I really want Karl to sound like he's an expert despite being 11.

Any help with this dilemma would be deeply appreciated!

Dave

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm no expert, but it wouldn't be a problem to me. I think there's a lot of difference in allowing your readers to learn a few new facts and being preachy.

When I think of preachy, I think more on lines of moral dilemmas, and a character telling another character that they are making lots of wrong decisions and such as that, with it clearly understood that the author shares these opinions.

But I could be totally wrong on that. Sorry I can't be more help.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
It's fine and necessary to fill the reader in; just try to do it without too much of an infodump. Break the info up through conversation, action, interruptions, etc, so Karl isn't going on and on for pages and pages. If he is a naturally pedantic sort of person, you can have the other character react like, "oh, another of his lectures!" But you don't want him to go on too long without action, or you run the risk of boring the reader.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I think it's a fine line. I admit, The Lightning Thief got really frustrating for me at points because the action stopped to fill the reader in on Greek mythology that I already knew. Now, would the average reader of that book know that info? Probably not. So it's up to the writer to determine what info is really needed to understand the plot and what info falls under, "I suffered for my art, and now it's your turn." (Referencing the Turkey City Lexicon, which can be found here: http://www.sfwa.org/2009/06/turkey-city-lexicon-a-primer-for-sf-workshops/ )

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
What they said. It sounds like it's in keeping with your character, so leaving out the explanation completely would be wrong. But yes, you have to make it natural, not like a lecture to the reader. And it helps if the reader needs at least some of the information to answer a question or solve a puzzle you've already raised. Create the need for the information BEFORE you provide it, instead of after. Then keep it brief, so you don't lose the forward momentum of the plot.

Save the Cat calls it "The Pope in the Pool." He talks about having something else going on at the same time as the lecture, so that the audience has something to keep them entertained while they get the information. If I can think of a good example, I'll come back here, but I can't right now...

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
Pope in the Pool??? I have to get this book.

In my WIP, the grandmother owns a metaphysical gift shop and herb garden. I only used commonly known herbs because I was concerned that kids wouldn't know them. The MC uses the herbs to make potions. I made it simple. If I wanted to talk about something that might be unfamilar, then I just said it like this. She remembered making made pesto with her dad using fresh basil and olive oil. This couldn’t be that different.
Some kids know what pesto is, but others might not. She also uses a mortar and pestle. I made a quick reference to what that does, just in case some MG readers might not know. I tried not to over define things, but wanted them to have enough info to go on with the story if something was unfamilar.

Is this a good way to handle giving them new information? Can you assume kids know things? How do you all handle it without info dumping?

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I would consider how specific you need the line to be in order for it make sense. For example, if you said, "She used a mortar and pestle to grind the leaves," I might not know what it looks like, but I got the important information. It's some sort of tool that can grind leaves. If I want to know more, I can look it up.

Remember to give your audience some credit that they can infer what they need to. Speculative fiction writers do this all the time, throwing their own made-up terms into the narrative, but giving enough context that the audience can figure it out without a blatant explanation.

Speaking from a teacher's point of view, a book is considered at an independent reading level if the reader knows 97% or more of the words. Or to put it another way, it's expected that most students can read something without understanding 3 out of 100 words, and still feel perfectly comfortable reading.

AuthorJ

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.odesk.com
In my own experience it is difficult to tell a story without betraying your own voice, opinion or position especially when it comes to controversial topics. Every reader knows a book cannot write itself, so your input will always play a roll in shaping their understanding of your story.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I don't think a writer has to betray themselves in their writing. I could certainly write from the POV of a serial killer and yet am not a serial killer.

In fact I write from several different POVs from energetic, exuberant, positive characters to those who feel more comfortable in a dark ditch. From born again Christians to atheists.

Even with controversial topics. That's how writers create and develop their many and diverse characters.

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I would consider how specific you need the line to be in order for it make sense. For example, if you said, "She used a mortar and pestle to grind the leaves," I might not know what it looks like, but I got the important information. It's some sort of tool that can grind leaves. If I want to know more, I can look it up.

Remember to give your audience some credit that they can infer what they need to. Speculative fiction writers do this all the time, throwing their own made-up terms into the narrative, but giving enough context that the audience can figure it out without a blatant explanation.

Speaking from a teacher's point of view, a book is considered at an independent reading level if the reader knows 97% or more of the words. Or to put it another way, it's expected that most students can read something without understanding 3 out of 100 words, and still feel perfectly comfortable reading.

Yes, that is true. I was a teacher, I homeschool my son now, and I know he doesn't know all of the words he reads. He used to ask me if he came across an unknown word. Now, I think he skips it or uses context clues to figure it out.

I was thinking more unfamilar concepts. But, I guess that is part of why you read a book, to explore new concepts and unfamilar things.:)

I keep trying to remember that though my MC is 12, the readers would be 8-12. But, they want to read about a 12 year old doing 12 yr old things. Things which would be new to them.

Funny, kids read up in age, some adults (me) read down. I like YA.

It's a good thing writers aren't what they think about. That would be scary. It's like a debate. Sometimes you have to debate an opinion that is opposite of your own. You can still do an effective job of debating it or telling that story.