What book influenced you?

71writer

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you had to say a book influenced you to want to be a writer, which one would it be?
I've thought long and hard on this and I am writing right now a YA novel and then have plans for a MG novel. So when I think back over the years I believe that it would have to be "Harriet The Spy" that really kicked me in the butt on writing.
I can't tell you how many times I read that book as a kid and wanted to live her life. Who knew it was possible? Lol.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster. The way he plays with words... I was sitting on the couch, listening to my dad read it out loud, and I just had the really clear thought: I want to do that when I grow up.

Also the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. The mix of warm, human characters with epic fantasy--they were my favorite books growing up. I must have read them ten times.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Bill Mauldin's A Sort of a Saga, memoirs of his childhood and teen years in rural New Mexico. I read it as a young boy, and he seemed to be telling my story. I was influenced in many ways by Mauldin's words and pictures.