STANDING UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexx Starnes

Registered
Reaction score
As an author should you stand up to the publisher who has breached your contracts, or Should you just bury your head in the sand and wait out the length of the contract to get your rights back? Multiple breaches are of an incurable nature. One author I spoke to suggested letting it go until the contract runs. I know what I think would like some additional feedback

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
If the contract is breached, and the publisher is not willing to remedy their breach, it usually means it's time to get your rights back. Certainly time to speak to a lawyer who knows about intellectual property (specifically, publishing).

Good luck! (also, see if the publisher is listed in the BR&BC. Perhaps you could save someone else making the same mistake.)

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
As an author should you stand up to the publisher who has breached your contracts, or Should you just bury your head in the sand and wait out the length of the contract to get your rights back? Multiple breaches are of an incurable nature. One author I spoke to suggested letting it go until the contract runs. I know what I think would like some additional feedback

Sure. I think the best way to start is writing them an e-mail outlining specifically where the contract was breached and suggesting solutions. That should open up a dialogue between you. If that doesn't work, try a certified letter. If that doesn't work, you may want to try the lawyer route, but that is expensive with most (US) attorneys charging @$300 an hour.

That being said, if the contract runs out in a decent amount of time (i.e. six months after not reaching XX books sold), it might be easier to wait them out.

Also, it would depend on where they're breaching the contract. For example, if they said they would pay monthly royalties/statements and you haven't seen anything in 3 months, that's a high priority issue and depending on your units sold, it may need judicial action.

Good luck!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes what we consider a breach of contract is not a breach based on how the contract is actually written and not what we think it says.

Have you had a literary lawyer look at the contract carefully?

Have you searched for the publisher if B&BC thread?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It really depends. What the breaches are, what they're costing you, what the cost will be if you do fight, what the cost will be if you don't fight, what you could/would do with the rights if you got them back.

I've got a story contracted to a publisher who has failed to send royalty statements, has missed two annual royalty payments, ignores my emails, etc. But it's not a story I could do much else with, and they owe me maybe a hundred dollars, so it's not worth getting a lawyer involved. YMMV.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this Publish America by any chance?

If so, things seem to run a bit differently than with any other publisher. Here at Absolute Write there is a separate section all its own for PA, and it could be helpful to introduce yourself there if this is your particular area of interest.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
As an author should you stand up to the publisher who has breached your contracts, or Should you just bury your head in the sand and wait out the length of the contract to get your rights back? Multiple breaches are of an incurable nature.

Certainly, a complaining letter is in order. Multiple breaches and a refusal to remedy them in a timely fashion indicates 'bad faith', which means entering into a contract with no intention of honoring the terms. This is grounds for punitive damages and even lawyer fees. But it's risky, difficult to prosecute, and very expensive.

To put it in perspective, our lawsuit against an insurance company for breach of contract, where the evidence was clear and uncomplicated and the company's actions definitely in bad faith, took four years and $22,000 to fight. We won in settlement eventually, which meant that we only got part of what we were owed. But by then, we were exhausted and alarmed at the vast cost of the lawsuit. If it had gone to court, it would have cost much more.

The legal system lets people like you and I use it, but it's really meant for large companies to fight one another and to squeeze little people like you and I.

On the other hand, you can do a lot with formal letters and phone calls, and it doesn't cost much to get a lawyer to send an appropriate letter on legal stationery, even if you have no intention of actually suing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There is no automatic should or shouldn't here. Such things are always on a case by case basis. Sometimes you need to take a stand, and sometimes it simply isn't worth the money, time, and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.