• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Double Dragon Publishing, Inc.

egem

I'm looking for information on Double Dragon Publishing. Are they only an epublisher? Also if they do have titles in print are their titles publishing through lulu? Does anyone have any info on this?

Last edited:

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
You can find Double Dragon Publishing's website here. They are one of the more prolific e-publishers. Their titles are listed at Fictionwise.com and other e-vendors. It looks like they do some print and they offer audio CDs through Lulu.com. They specialize in speculative fiction and paranormal romance.

Travel_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.journeybeyondtravel.com
Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you have heard anything bad about Double Dragon, the reason I ask is that I sent a novel to them 9 weeks ago and have not received a response yet. Even though they said their response time was 6-8 weeks. I’ve contacted them twice and haven’t received a response.

Have had the same problem with Scrybe Press too any advice on what I should do?

Geraldine

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Disclosure statement: I have seven books published with DDP.

Yes, they are slow, but that's because they're busy and swamped. Give them a bit more time.

Slowness is typical for most publishers.

Travel_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.journeybeyondtravel.com
Thank You

Thanks Dave for the advice I know I probably just impatient first book and all that.

I don’t mean to make myself out to be an idiot but my expertise is mainly in travel writing Navigator so to be real honest I'm not sure what a chapbook is because I'm new to book writing, sorry if this sounds stupid but what is a chapbook?

Thank you both for your response, very much appreciated

Geraldine

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
A chapbook is either a novella or collection of poems or other stuff, usually bound in book shape with a pair of staples and slightly heavier card stock for a cover. i.e. they print it out on a standard size piece of paper landscape and fold it over. It's something you can easily make on your home computer. About 90% of the chapbooks are see are poetry or horror short stories.

chapbook.gif

Matthew Warner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewwarner.com
Double Dragon: Traditional publisher (i.e., competitive submissions and royalty-paying). Publishes trade paperbacks w/ POD technology but mainly does e-books. At least that's always been my understanding. They published my first book The Organ Donor, as an e-book in 2002 and then as a tradepaper a year later. Separate contracts for each. Always been fair to deal with; no major complaints.

Scrybe: Appears to be a dead market. They hired my wife for a web design that was partially completed before they went AWOL. They owe her several hundred bucks that I doubt she'll ever receive. (If this changes, I'll of course append this comment.)

kinvore

<insert witty title here>
Registered
Reaction score
Questions on ebook publishing

Hello everyone. I wasn't sure if this was the right forum but I figured if anyone had any warnings, etc., about ebooks they would be glad to let me know here.

Anyway, I was looking for info on ebooks in general and double dragon books in particular. I was thinking of submitting my novel with them since they seem to have a lot more flexibility, but I wasn't sure how exactly the process works.

When someone purchases the ebook is it pretty hard to copy/pirate? Is there really much money to be made from them? (on one hand I'm not doing it for the money, on the other I'm in a pretty desperate financial situation so sure any bucks that can be made would be nice)

Do they place much emphasis on editing or do they expect you to do it yourself? I see some pretty decent cover art for their books, do they contract their own artists or am I expected to find my own cover artist?

I'm sure I had some other questions about the whole ebook thing but nothing else comes to mind. I appreciate your time.

Johnny

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Ebooks are not that hard to pirate, but there is still a good honest market for them especially on romance and erotica genre. I don't know much about Double Dragon. In general, if you want any kind of substantial income go with the biggest, best selling epress you can.

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
My ebook publisher sells ebooks in a variety of formats from DRM heavy Microsoft Reader to unprotected PDF.

I actually would prefer my books to be DRM free so people can share them with friends like regular books. If more people read and like my work they'll buy more copies of my next book.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Like any publisher, DDP can be slow at times and very quick at other times in communicating.

DDP does its own editing but the author is expected to participate in that the author may be asked to rewrite some sections or will be asked to approve of changes.

Likewise, DDP provides its own cover art. Much of the time the artwork is good. Occasionally, it lacks in some aspects such as showing grit on chains in a desert scene or dust on boots. I figure that's just artistic license since other artwork goes to the extreme in showing detail.

Ebooks do not have a strong market yet, but they're improving gradually. DDP seems to do well with those. I have a number of ebooks with DDP and can attest that you'll probably do better with a large print publisher, but DDP is honest and their checks generally arrive on time. Keep in mind that they're in Canada. That does affect what I call being on time since I'm in the US.

Their publishing schedule is not as good as I'd like to see. At times it seems like they've got too much on their plate. For example, I recently had two manuscripts go through editing, but only one has been released even though the editing took place back in January.

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
I just got an offer from DDP... Am I right in understanding they are a pretty substantial ebook company? Any complaints?

Preditors & Editors has them listed as a reccommended publisher....!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Firefingers. I haven't gone with DDP, but I don't see any problem with them as an e-pub. I know that Dave has several titles with them and they are quite good. I have submitted to them in the past. The have a huge backlist and a large stable of writers. So they might be a little slow on the draw in getting back with you. You might want to look some of those writers up (google) and see if they're running a website or blog, in where they talk about their publisher.

Tri

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
Thanks Tri. I have been running Google searches on them all morning, and so far haven't come up with a whiff of anything negative.

Maybe I'm just twitchy b/c if I sign with them, I'll be leaving my "safe harbor"??

arainsb123

Learning!
Registered
Reaction score
Pirating of fictional ebooks is virtually nonexistent. Sure, you can find Harry Potter and similarly popular novels on LimeWire and various torrent tracking sites, but other than that there just aren't very many people who read fiction online, and thus even fewer who are interested in pirating it.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My partner's experience with double dragon was that they're quite slow in several respects -- responding to submissions, getting a contract signed, and getting a book edited. I'd suggest making sure any contract you sign has in it a 'the book will be released by X date or the contract is void' clause.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They are a reasonably well known epublisher, older, larger and unlikely to do bad things or go broke. I have no idea what their sales are like.

Reaction score
A Bizarre Happening...

I'm not actually a DDP author. However, I'm posting to this thread because something pretty bizarre occurred. I was checking my email today and saw an automated email with the subject line: "Royalty Statments [sic] for 1st-2008". I opened up the attachments and saw an empty statement about how royalties have to be higher than $25 before they're paid. The statement bore my name and address but listed no title or author info.

The bizarre thing: I never signed a contract or published a book with DDP. I submitted well over a year ago and was accepted, but I landed an agent at the same time and decided to go that route instead. I sent a reply about how I decided to decline, to which an editor responded cordially. I've since emailed that editor indicating this and trust that the matter will be resolved. As I googled myself and found nothing with my name published under DDP, I think it was an oversight. But what a bizarre oversight.

Never had anything like that happen before (either with a royalty statement from this publisher or another).

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of bizarre: Google's tagged DDP as an "attack" site (having a trojan or virus). Someone should let 'em know.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of bizarre: Google's tagged DDP as an "attack" site (having a trojan or virus). Someone should let 'em know.

I know an editor there. I'll email her home addy and let her know.

Thanks for the heads-up!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently the Double Dragon site is fixed, but getting Google to stop flagging it takes longer.

Last edited:

woodrow

Registered
Reaction score
I've been waiting for 15 weeks for a response though they sent me an email saying I would get one in 6-8 weeks. As they said they wanted exclusive submissions, I didn't submit to anyone else. Is it usual to wait so loong? I'm beginning to think I am not going to get a response.