• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Double Dragon Publishing, Inc.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I just found this not very happy recitation about Double Dragon. It seems though, that he was expecting things they don't offer.
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewarticle.asp?AuthorID=169697

The copy editor who thinks that what you really wanted was an uncredited co-author is not, alas, a problem limited to small electronic presses. Fortunately, with larger presses, you routinely get the manuscript back after the copy editing pass so you can employ your "STET DAMMIT!" rubber stamp.

Paying the copy editor from royalties is ... weird, and often a sign of an under-capitalized press.

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
I have two books with them. They edited the one that came out last year, but not the one prior to that - I'm pretty sure they're back to editing everything again now (but I'm happy to be told I'm wrong about that). I've chosen not to finish the series at this time. After the second book was accepted, I heard nothing from them and didn't even know it had been published until I was on my author page for a different reason and saw it there. From a personal point of view, they have been lovely to deal with (if you ignore the non-contact around book two), but I've done no marketing with book two and neither have they - and the numbers show it. For now, I'm writing something else and trying to get published elsewhere. However, I need to add that I probably would have given up writing if they hadn't given me a contract, so I could never say to anyone that you should not go with them - sometimes there are other things at play and other reasons to accept a contact. If you have any questions about DDP, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Thomm

Registered
Reaction score
The publisher's message to the authors

I have four books with DDP. I can echo some of the above reservations.

Here is the message he just sent us to reassure us as to DDP's stability.

Well, it seems every 10 years or so that a rumor spreads on the "Grapevine" that DDP will be closing. The short answer is no. I have no plans or intentions of closing the doors on DDP at this time. And although these rumors had encouraged many offers to purchase DDP, one of them being pretty lucrative from a major player, I've decided to continue.

So while the market is currently in a downturn and sales are suffering, I see no reason to abandon ship at this time. After all, I have thousands, if not millions of man hours in the conversion and creation of art for DDP titles.

Cheers,
Deron

Thomm

Registered
Reaction score
I have four books with DDP. I can echo some of the above reservations.

Here is the message he just sent us to reassure us as to DDP's stability.

Deron has emailed the authors again to assure us that DDP is not closing, but he will not be taking submissions of authors or books, or publishing anything, through 2019. This may stretch into 2020. He is prioritizing his art for the time being.

Rebnatan

Registered
Reaction score
My novel with DDP was released today.

single.php
He just released my novel Quantum Cannibals. Deron is good to work with. I suggested a painting, which he integrated into a terrific cover.
single.php

Thomm

Registered
Reaction score
I asked Deron about reopening submissions.

Double Dragon will no longer publish any new books, except when authors pay to be published. Deron is transitioning into selling publishing services instead (making covers and formatting books), since he was not making much as a publisher. He will still mail out books that were already signed to DDP, but that is all he will do for them.

He is not closing Double Dragon yet, but it is no longer a traditional publisher and submissions will not be reopening.

Thomm

Registered
Reaction score
Double Dragon is closing up shop. I will report what happens with the UK buyers.

Here are excerpts from Deron's letter:

This is a very hard email for me to write and I have been floundering on this action for more than 3 years. As most of you are aware, sales have been low, very low. I blame this on Amazon. Unfortunately this year has been worse and it leaves me with no choice but to close down DDP. I will begin the process this week and it should take me until the end of the month.

As an author this means that your contract is no longer in affect and your book rights automatically return to you. For some this is good news, and for others it is a great blow. I apologize, I have hung on as long as I could.

[...]it is time to put DDP in this incarnation to rest.

I was able to sell the domain name and the imprint to a fellow publisher in the UK. So DDP will continue in some form. More on this shortly.

GeoWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the UK publsher that has bought the domain name and imprint for Double Dragon Publishing? Fiction4All appears to provide some publishing support for authors under a reasonable (not vanity press) model, but don't provide free editing services which raises some red flags. Has anyone worked with them, or know how successful the are with sales (excluding their adult categories)?

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just an updated for the thread:

Running through the web site I've had to go through multiple links to other sites - and who tf uses center alignment for a web page? Nightmare fuel.

They seem willing to be open about their practices, but I've heard that "net" is a bad word and run away.

From their page (terrible formatting theirs):

Where customers are derived from Fiction4All’s own advertising –

royalties will be calculated as follows:-

Digital sales – 70% sale price

Paperback sales – 50% Net sale Proceeds

Where the customers are derived from affiliate advertising using special codes associated with each affiliate, and thus identifiable on each order,​

the affiliate will earn 30% of the sale price for digital sales or for paperbacks 30% of the net sale proceeds.

For affiliate-related sales, Author will be credited with 40% of sale price (digital) and 40% of net sale proceeds (paperback).

Sales on Amazon and Kindle – 70% of proceeds paid to Fiction4All for both digital and printed sales

Sales on other 3rd party sites, such as Smashwords – 50% of proceeds paid to Fiction4All.
This also concerns me: "We do not charge you to publish your book with Fiction4All provided you comply with our requirements and style guide! If you need help with editing your book, or sourcing a cover image we can put you in touch with the right people to help."

Fortunately the "style guide" is just formatting, but according to the publishing agreement there are fees for the editing:

2) Level 2. Your book has had a certain amount of input from others but you need an editor to check for things like name consistency, grammar and spelling checks. This is a surface read option and the cost of the editor will be recouped from your initial royalties by a royalty reduction of 10% until the cost has been recovered.

3) Level 3. This is where your work is raw and needs a full edit. This is a chargeable service which you will negotiate directly with one of our approved editors.

So I think this makes them a step above a vanity press? I'm not sure of the hierarchy.
Took me forever to slog through that mess, I'm staying away.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Link, for those interested: Fiction4All

From their About page:

We expect authors to take pride in their work and to take time to proof read and correct what they write. We will format books to our in-house style and use proofing tools to remove some grammatical and spelling errors. We do not charge a fee for this service, but if a book is not adequately presented, we will hand it back to the author and suggest they either fix it themselves, or pay an independent editor to sort it out. We have ones we can recommend, but who the author uses is entirely their choice....

We prefer you, the author, to market your book along with our own efforts, if you can, and the most successful authors are those who do market their works.

In other words, they run your stuff through a spell checker, and that's it as far as their editing goes. They don't do promotion.

The website is, indeed, amateurish - on a par with most of the featured covers. And that royalty language Brigid Barry cited above is absolutely incomprehensible. So many avenues for "Hollywood accounting."

"Net" is a bad word in publishing if it isn't defined. Unspecified “net royalty” clauses are dangerous for the author, because the publisher can deduct all kinds of costs that the publisher should normally bear.

Reactions: Brigid Barry