Shouldn't I Be More Upset About This Rejection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
On Thursday night I received my first rejection for my book. All in all, I'm quite pleased that the agent commented that she was 'impressed by the quality of the writing, and gives me hope that it will sell eventually.

The thing is, the rejection stung for all of thirty seconds, and then I was completely over it. Had this been 10 years ago, I would have railed against the publisher, ranted against the whole damn industry. In genral had a 'don't-you-recognise-my-genius' hissy-fit. Instead, I sat down with the MSS, and began think where do I want to go next with this?

Which seems strange. I received a job rejection in February and it took me months to get over. It feels strange to be so calm over rejection. This is my second book I've subbed to agents, so is this a sign of maturity. :D

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
Strive to relish rejections. If you're not getting a lot of rejections, you're not getting enough queries out there. Agents reject more than 97%. If you're one of the lucky three to have/get an agent, then publishers will reject your work for various and sometimes comically contradictory reasons. "I loved the characters, but not the plot." "I loved the story, but the characters were not compelling enough."

Best of success in the future. You've got the right attitude.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
This is a good thing that you're not sulking over it. It is very healthy to move on from it and continue on with the process. Good Luck. Hopefully the next agent you talk to will want to rep you.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
If you're not getting a lot of rejections, you're not getting enough queries out there.

The agent wanted exclusivity, of course that meant two months of waiting. I'm not going to fire it straight back out, I want to polish it a bit more and SYW the query first.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a sign of maturity. Good for you, and it's nice to see an encouraging rejection. :)

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yes, good for you!

I've gotten two rejections on fulls so far, and they've both been some of the most encouraging, supportive, reaffirming things anyone has *ever* said about my writing.

I mean, they both absolutely hated the brutality and darkness of the end, which a) could be a taste issue, but b) could also mean I didn't foreshadow and establish tone early and well enough. We'll see what the others say, but honestly, I read them both frequently because they just make me feel so goddamned good, because at least I got them to read til 'the end!'

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been able to get upset over rejections. Of course, I've never gotten a really nasty rejection. They've either said something positive about the writing or been form rejections, which are invariably polite.

Sometimes I feel weird for this because pretty much everything else in life upsets and depresses me. Except rejections. :Shrug:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejections pretty much all mean "No, thanks", so why get upset. Now, if an agent or editor tells you to burn the manuscript, bury the ashes deep, and to never, ever even think abut writing another word, you might have reason to go pout. Otherwise, nope.

Many rejections are nothing more than sending an agent or editor bacon when they prefer a good steak.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you knew it was coming, really?

We submit for jobs at work...and there are some which we go for because it would be lovely if we got them, but really, we know it's not going to happen. And there are some which we think "oh, that would be so right for us, we want to do it" and we write the bid already thinking about doing the work.

Not getting the first one is an expected non-issue. Not getting the second always hurts.

Better luck next time!

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me your attitude is great for your mental health. Hard to keep going if you're upset or depressed.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The more pieces you send out into the world, the more rejections you collect, the tougher your hide should get. If it doesn't, you're in trouble. ;)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. :)

Would have replied earlier, but my computer seems to be crashing whenever I come on to AW at the moment. :Hammer:

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That's the tude! Have you visited The Daily Rejection thread? I loved that place because of the first post by Devil Ledbetter:

Hi. I'm Devil and I'm a reject. It has been 11 hours since my last rejection.

I am learning to live with rejection because rejection means I'm querying, and querying is something I avoided for a very long time. I've managed to double my number of rejections in just two weeks. I did that by increasing the number of queries I'd sent by six times.

My goal is to land an agent in under 200 queries.

It would be nice to know that I'm not alone in rejection. If you were rejected today, please post here.

224 pages -- not posts, but PAGES later -- the thread is thriving!

Status
Not open for further replies.