Mystery or Suspense?

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've enjoyed reading some good threads here--a new place for me on AW. I'm thinking about taking my writing in a whole new direction.

Can someone please tell me the difference between a mystery and a suspense novel?

Thanks!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
There's a lot of overlap since each contains elements of the other. A mystery novel normally centers on a crime or series of crimes. The emphasis is on figuring out whodunit. But it often contains suspenseful scenes.

A suspense novel often takes places as a crime happens, not always. It's emphasis is in scaring the living daylights out of you--suspending your heart rate. Like in Hitchcock films, they often contain a mystery.

So it's confusing. Y'all correct me if I'm wrong.

Lucie

PS: The main element of suspense, I think, is anticipation, using your imagination to create horrible images of what's about to happen, while you're glued to your chair cause you just have to know whether that's what really happens.

Last edited:

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, wonderactivist. That's helpful.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Higgins Clark - mystery or suspense?

Yes. :)

I'm guessing you'll get different answers depending on who you ask and which of her books. The ones I've read can easily be shelved either way.

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. :)

I'm guessing you'll get different answers depending on who you ask and which of her books. The ones I've read can easily be shelved either way.
Right :D
Thanks. Yes, I thought she is a bit difficult to place.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
That's the thing; so much of what we write is impossible to categorize. What's a mystery to one is a thriller to another, even among editors. :Shrug: Who knows. :)

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
That's the thing; so much of what we write is impossible to categorize. What's a mystery to one is a thriller to another, even among editors. :Shrug: Who knows. :)

Right. I have a story developing in my head, which I think is moving towards the MTS-area (to my surprise, since I did not think I would ever try to write something in this genre, even though I like reading it), but I'm not sure yet. So far what I 'see' doesn't involve any police or detectives.

I know it doesn't matter until after I've written it (if I ever do) what genre it is but I can't help thinking about it, it interests me :D

GeorgeJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EbooksByAuthor.com
Most distributors have a genre heading 'Thriller & Suspense'. Then a few tags that are added, however whether you feel your writing is either 'thriller or suspense' your book will still come under that label. It is not perfect by any means and often you will find yourself unhappy that there is no perfect genre there even with the tags for your work. The other danger is if you do get the perfect tag under the main heading your book may not be discovered. So better to let it go under that main heading 'Thriller & Suspense' at least it will be seen.
I know the above is not differentiating between thriller and suspense, but your book will end up there anyway whatever it is. I am of course talking ebook/ibook distributors.

Regards

GJ

Last edited:

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
HeyJude, I think you hit it on the head with that ost where you said, "You know you’ve written a suspense novel when: Your protagonist is in terrible personal danger and fighting for his or her life against disproportionately high odds. Suspense novels are breathless page-turners that focus more on a pivotal character, but often include high-stakes elements of thrillers."

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I wrote those words, but that sounds right. :)

The thing is, there's no point in sweating the specifics. Everyone's going to have their opinion. Take your best shot, tailor to the specific agent you're querying (he likes thrillers? That's what it is!), tag it with all the right tags, and you're good to go. Too many of us (myself included) spend too much time overthinking this one.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
A few notes from Truby, who make a character-centric argument:

-- Detective --

In a detective story, the Hero is a loner who is somewhere outside the organization, and a bit outside the law as well. He's used to be assigned the dirty work, which exercises his wits. He works alone because he trusts no one - that's his job definition anyway - and thus his personal relationships suffer from it. He will be thrown into the story to investigate a small corruption which will grow, little by little, into a huge corruption, by checking out a cast of suspects, one of which is the criminal. In the end, he will have to choose between what his left brain tells him (succomb to emotions) and what his right brain tells him (do the right or honorable thing), which are not real choices.

-- Thriller --

Similar to the detective story where the Hero will encounter many characters who may or may not be the killer. But with each of those character, the Hero has to choose between faith at the risk of death, or skeptism at the risk of personal loss. Example (Basic Instinct): love the woman who may turn out to be the killer versus distrust the woman who might as well be innocent and become a lover. Example (Silence of the Lambs): trade or not trade inner demons for information about a serial killer, trade or not trade with superiors for career advancement.
The plot line is not about escaping attacks; it's about considering and reconsidering the dilemma over and over. Yes. No. Yes, she's the killer. No she's not. etc. That's where the twists and turns originate.

-cb

Cacophony

Hashtag
Registered
Reaction score

-- Detective --

In a detective story, the Hero is a loner who is somewhere outside the organization, and a bit outside the law as well. He's used to be assigned the dirty work, which exercises his wits. He works alone because he trusts no one - that's his job definition anyway - and thus his personal relationships suffer from it. He will be thrown into the story to investigate a small corruption which will grow, little by little, into a huge corruption, by checking out a cast of suspects, one of which is the criminal. In the end, he will have to choose between what his left brain tells him (succomb to emotions) and what his right brain tells him (do the right or honorable thing), which are not real choices.

-- Thriller --

Similar to the detective story where the Hero will encounter many characters who may or may not be the killer. But with each of those character, the Hero has to choose between faith at the risk of death, or skeptism at the risk of personal loss. Example (Basic Instinct): love the woman who may turn out to be the killer versus distrust the woman who might as well be innocent and become a lover. Example (Silence of the Lambs): trade or not trade inner demons for information about a serial killer, trade or not trade with superiors for career advancement.
The plot line is not about escaping attacks; it's about considering and reconsidering the dilemma over and over. Yes. No. Yes, she's the killer. No she's not. etc. That's where the twists and turns originate.

-cb

Well... my work here is done.

:gone:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

-- Detective --

-- Thriller --

-cb

Wow. That's very helpful.

Thanks. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

-- Detective --

-- Thriller --

-cb

Hey, cbenoi, can you link to the source of this quote? Thanks!

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
Does a mystery have to have a murder in it?
Or a crime of any sort?

Might be a stupid question, but could it involve a death that is caused by someone and needs to be investigated, but the incident wasn't meant to cause death?

I've tried to read up on it here and elsewhere but couldn't find the answer to this particular question. If it's something that has been answered before and I just haven't found it, I apologize.

*I'm at the end of outlining or writing a first, short draft of what I think is a mystery, or it might be a mix
between a mystery and a cozy but I'm not sure.
I will carry on with it and make it the story
it is no matter what kind of genre it is or isn't, but I'm still interested in these genre questions.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I'd say no, it doesn't have to have a murder, but I can't think of an example of a mystery without a crime of any kind.

Anyone?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The Detective form is about looking for the truth. Solving a crime is the usual Desire line because it's the one that tends to maintain tension best. Or combining the form with a love story or action.

Saving Private Ryan is both a Detective story (finding Ryan) and Action (fighting in occupied territory).
Courage Under Fire (Lt Walden's hero status)
Erin Brockovich is a Detective form (investigating a corruption)
Desperately Seeking Susan is another (seeking one's identity)

Many mix Sci-Fi / Fantasy with Detective as the main story spine.

Contact (are we alone?)
Star Trek I (searching for Voyager)

Similarly, you can also have Thrillers without murder. Ex: The China Syndrome (will the nuke reactor implode?)

Hope this helps.

-cb

Last edited:

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
If a death has occurred from an accident which was caused by someone's actions without malicious intent, and a person - not a detective although she in one way becomes a 'detective' as she happens upon some information that makes her investigate that death - finds out the truth, is it still a mystery?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
If a death has occurred from an accident which was caused by someone's actions without malicious intent, and a person - not a detective although she in one way becomes a 'detective' as she happens upon some information that makes her investigate that death - finds out the truth, is it still a mystery?
Yes for the story form. Your Hero will have to go through the same steps as a cop investigating a murder: gather evidence by questioning witnesses, finding clues at various locations, eliminating scenarios, and then finding that one clue that points to the truth.

As for selling this to an agent, it depends on the other arcs and the themes you have in there.

Courage Under Fire could be considered mainstream while Deperately Seeking Susan might be more YA. Contact and Star Trek I will definitely be sold under Sci-Fi.

-cb

Last edited:

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
^^ :D Right.

Yes, I was just wondering if the genre mystery strictly needed a murder or a crime per sé to be called a mystery.
Seems not. Thanks :)