One Sentence Stories

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A bunch of my friends and I started a crazy contest on Twitter, challenging each other to write long(ish), meaningful stories that are exactly one sentence long.

You can read my entry and links to several others here, and there's still time to write your own!

Our hashtag on Twitter is #1ss

New blog entry: One Sentence Stories (includes a free story!)
http://alexshvartsman.com/2012/05/28/one-sentence-stories/

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Before I read Alex's whole post, I thought it was supposed to be a one *short* sentence story. :tongue And I was all: :hooray:
Because, you know, I love the microfiction. :D

But, man. HOLY SMOKE, you guys. I'm not sure I can pull this off or not. I have yet to read all that have been posted yet. But I'd like to *tentatively* participate, too.

Is there a deadline on this? Like a monthly blog thing, or...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sealey,

Technically the deadline was Wednesday night, but if you post your #1ss I'll still be happy to link to it!

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Sealey,

Technically the deadline was Wednesday night, but if you post your #1ss I'll still be happy to link to it!
Oh, dang! Actually, I think I'll just skip it this time. Maybe you'll do it again. It'll take me at least a week to put one together anyway. Was a bit overambitious to think I could pull anything together right now. I just got excited when I saw how neat it was. :D

Fun idea. I will be making the reading/commenting rounds!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
You know, if I still taught creative writing, I'd use this idea as an in-class writing assignment, adding, it must have conflict, two characters or more, come to some sort of end or conclusion. It's useful practice at many levels. Thanks for the interesting links and idea.

toomanycarbs

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how I stumbled over here, but glad I did. What fun. Just lost a good half hour to reading the entries.

toomanycarbs

Registered
Reaction score
Soapdish-I love the idea of a picture prompt. Would be so interesting to see the same image interpreted several different ways.

Decker

Old fish; alligator skin
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is an older post, but I couldn't help but read it and think of Hemingway. My facts are a little shady on this, but basically a journalist challenged him one time to write a story using only six words. He wrote:

"For sale, baby shoes: never used."

Depressing? You bet. But he's still the king.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is an older post, but I couldn't help but read it and think of Hemingway. My facts are a little shady on this, but basically a journalist challenged him one time to write a story using only six words. He wrote:

"For sale, baby shoes: never used."

Depressing? You bet. But he's still the king.

Yes, this figured into the Twitter discussion that led to the One Sentence Stories challenge.

I recently thought about this and wondered if it might be fun to write a flash story that expands on Hemingway's prompt. I wonder that's been done yet.

Cornelius Gault

New writer since 07/2012.
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Is there some reason the entries can't be posted directly in a thread here instead of going somewhere else?

I read a few of the offline examples and I think it is difficult to define what a sentence is. If you can run-on a sentence to 400 words by using ";" and "-'", I don't see the point.

However, limiting the sentence to 30, 40 or 50 words might be something I could get into.

... jus' sayin' ...

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, fly in the ointment. Anybody can write 500 or even 1,000 words without a period and call it sentence.

I thought it was something along the lines of Hemmingway's "Baby shoes for sale, never used."