Pants on Fire

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Stuffed beef heart was one of my grandmother's comfort food treats. I haven't had it in 50 years but don't remember it being as yucky as black eyed peas, which I find almost as nasty as lima beans. So I am going with #2 as the lie--purely on personal taste.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You tasted black-eyed peas and fell in culinary love.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going with #1. Just a guess. If you're vegan or a vegetarian, then beef hearts would definitely be out.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two of these foods I tried for the first time ever -- and liked!! -- within the past eight months. One, however, will never pass my lips again for any reason whatsoever. Which is it?

1. Beef heart

2. Black-eyed peas

3. Japanese persimmon

NUMBER 3 is the lie!

I had a Peruvian dish that consisted of marinated beef heart chunks on a skewer, and it was delicious. A month ago I prepared black-eyed peas in the Indian fashion, with coconut milk, and that was also very good.

But persimmons? There's two kinds sold in my area, Fuyu and Hachiya. Fuyu are squat and shaped like tomatoes, and can be eaten fully ripe, or just a little ripe. Hachiyas are heart shaped, and MUST be eaten when soft and fully ripe because otherwise they have too many tannins and taste awful. The persimmon I had eaten was an unripe Hachiya one.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
May I join in, if this thread is still alive? (Not that this is probably a good date to resurrect it).

Three things about me. All of them perfectly true. :D

1. I was the youngest pupil at my school for a whole year.
2. I was the inkiest pupil at my school.
3. I became head girl at my school.

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
May I join in, if this thread is still alive? (Not that this is probably a good date to resurrect it).

Three things about me. All of them perfectly true. :D

1. I was the youngest pupil at my school for a whole year.
2. I was the inkiest pupil at my school.
3. I became head girl at my school.

Number 1 is plausible. That leaves 2 and 3. I almost have to flip a coin here. #3, the inkiest, probably not. So I'll say that #2 IS THE LIE! The mouse was not head girl! :banana:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like you inverted 2 & 3 Nym. I think we'll need a rule check. :) Ima go with the real #2. Not the inkiest, relying on Nym's flawless logic.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like you inverted 2 & 3 Nym. I think we'll need a rule check. :) Ima go with the real #2. Not the inkiest, relying on Nym's flawless logic.

You're right, N. B. Thank you for employing your impeccable observational skills. Corrected, my guess is that THE LIE IS #3. She was not head girl! :snoopy:

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I should have known better than to try to outwit such master liars as Nymtoc and Nathan! You are correct, sirs!

I WAS the youngest pupil at my school, aged a tender seven years.
I WAS the inkiest pupil at that school one year, and was punished and publicly humiliated by being made to wear an ink-dyed apron - instead of the usual red check one - for a whole week.

#3 is a lie! I was never head girl!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have been thinking about my cousins lately. They are a remarkable crew and fairly incredible. Here are three cousin statements. Two are true. One could not possibly be true.

1. I have a cousin named Johnny Mike who believes that bees live in trees. This would not be so alarming but he aspires to be a bee keeper.
2. I have blood cousins who live in Coolidge, Kansas.
3. My mother's family is of Czech ancestry. When we investigated her town of origin, we found that we are direct descendants of Gregor Mendel.

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Number one and three just sound so ... fantastical, I'm going to have to go with "One of these things is not like the other". That would be two. :tongue

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I have been thinking about my cousins lately. They are a remarkable crew and fairly incredible. Here are three cousin statements. Two are true. One could not possibly be true.

1. I have a cousin named Johnny Mike who believes that bees live in trees. This would not be so alarming but he aspires to be a bee keeper.
2. I have blood cousins who live in Coolidge, Kansas.
3. My mother's family is of Czech ancestry. When we investigated here town of origin, we found that we are direct descendants of Gregor Mendel.

I'm gonna say 3 is the lie. I believe the Czech ancestry (but if your family is like mine they still called it Bohemia when they landed in Kansas), just not buying the Mendel ties.

Although, I want to agree with NB that it's 2, but I know that area of KS too well (my wife was born in Stafford) and your cousins probably do live there.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Number 3 is the LIE!

Gregor Mendel, Augustinian friar and abbot of St. Thomas' Abbey in Brno, Margraviate of Moravia, [thanks, Wikipedia] didn't have direct descendants (at least not unless...never mind...:roll:)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was sweating that someone would know that Mendel was a monk! Good job guys. And yes, I do have cousins in Coolidge Kansas but unlike the Griswold cousins, mine are fairly normal. Not so poor Johnny Mike who has decided not to turn his trailer into an apiary after all. --s6

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Damn! Got here too late. I knew Mendel was a monk and couldn’t (well, shouldn’t) have had any descendants!

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here are a few about my cousins. Two are true, one is not!

1. A first cousin is an expert model airplane builder and has a garage stuffed full of them.

2. His wife was once elected postmaster general of their town.

3. Their son writes self-published thriller novels about the Iraq war.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They all sound plausible, but I'll say Number 2 is the lie!

I could be wrong (I often am), but I'm picking this one because of the terminology. As far as I know, a postmaster of a city or town is not referred to as the "postmaster general," but simply as the "postmaster." The longer title is used for the Postmaster General of the United States.

:e2stooges

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I live in a small town and don't think Postmaster is an elected office. Post Office is closed on Saturday afternoons so I am hazarding a guess that #2 is a lie, without walking down to the PO and checking it out. --s6

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
2 is the lie. Like Nymtoc said, Postmaster General runs the big operation and oversees the lower postmasters non generals, but the PG is also appointed, not elected.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to take both 1 and 3 as a lie, to maximize my chances. :rulez Fine. I'll just take ... 1 then. You're reasoning is definitely plausible but ... I love to be contrary and expert model airplane builders would never keep their stuff in the garage. :Shrug:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I had to take the twins, Zinnia and Zilpha, to the Vet this morning. It is a 30 mile trip on US Route 281, a narrow, two lane highway. The traffic was heavy this morning-- 8 or 9 vehicles and I had two close calls.

1. I had to pass a huge flatbed carrying a couple of doghouses. It took up half the oncoming lane and was only going 55 mph because the wind was blowing.
2. I had to pull into the opposite lane to avoid hitting a 4 foot long salt and pepper snake that was crossing the highway.
3. At the stoplight at the intersection of Highway 56 and 281, I had to brake and back up to avoid being hit by a wind turbine blade.

Even if only two of these are true, it was an eventful ride.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
While I’m sure the first image to come to mind for most people is a small enclosure meant for the use of the family dog, or a husband on the ill tempered side of his wife, to sleep in, doghouse may also refers to the cab portion of a truck body, less the bed and front end componants. Still, a doghouse isn’t so big as to require the ‘wide load’ treatment, and they aren’t so heavy as to be difficult to haul- a pickup truck has enough oomph to do it.

When it comes to not running over a snake ‘had to’ is a matter of perception. Your specimine would have been full grown, at four feet long, and should have still been in hybernation for another two months or so. Plus it’s only common to a few counties along the Mississippi river in Missouri.

My first question about number 3 is do 56 and 281 even meet- they do, in a T intersection. If that wind turbine blade were on a flatbed truck turning left, I could believe the swing would threaten other vehicles on the road.

I’m more in inclined to wonder if you actually went to the vet on a Saturday. I’m married to a vet, and Saturdays are usually chock full of everyone who couldn’t get in during the week. It’s a madhouse. My wife’s clinic is only open till noon on Saturday because of the chaos.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Countryside Veterinary in Great Bend, Kansas is open Saturday mornings till noon on a first come, first serve basis. I had an appt. to have the kitten's sutures removed for Thursday but had to postpone because of the ice storm. I was anxious to let them play outdoors after 2 weeks inside. --s6

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well...I'm calling BS on #3, the wind turbine blade. How does it happen that a wind turbine blade is flying through the air, nearly hitting you on the highway--even if there is a stiff wind? But then, I don't live near wind turbines, and I'm sure there are things about them that I don't understand.
(But I do understand a few things about TrickyShakey. :ROFL:)

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like lies? have been researched. I have to go with 3 as well. I do see that some turbines can be placed within topple distance of the road, but I imagine you would have described said toppling.