Useful Grammar and Syntax References On The Web

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
I'm having trouble searching for what I need because I haven't taken a class that covers the relevant terms, but I'm looking for a resource on tense conjugation. Specifically, I'm looking for variations on the present tense. I have a feeling that a piece I'm judging is switching between two versions and I need to decipher whether it's actually incorrect or just frustrating to read.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble searching for what I need because I haven't taken a class that covers the relevant terms, but I'm looking for a resource on tense conjugation. Specifically, I'm looking for variations on the present tense. I have a feeling that a piece I'm judging is switching between two versions and I need to decipher whether it's actually incorrect or just frustrating to read.

Not sure exactly what you want, but try googling

English verb conjugation

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Primarily, it's the difference between "Jane runs" and "Jane is running".

There isn't a lot of difference here, in terms of what a reader will interpret, but context becomes important. The first example is simple present tense, the second is present continuous. "Jane runs to the grocery store" implies a goal and a movement to some other action. "Jane is running to the grocery store" implies that something else may be happening at the same time. At least that's the way those phrases read to me. Participials (-ing words in verb phrases), regardless of tense, carry the meaning of continuity or simultaneity.

caw

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
There isn't a lot of difference here, in terms of what a reader will interpret, but context becomes important. The first example is simple present tense, the second is present continuous. "Jane runs to the grocery store" implies a goal and a movement to some other action. "Jane is running to the grocery store" implies that something else may be happening at the same time. At least that's the way those phrases read to me. Participials (-ing words in verb phrases), regardless of tense, carry the meaning of continuity or simultaneity.

caw
The reason I'm looking for more detailed information is because the piece that I'm judging (and I could imagine needing to work with similar pieces in an editing capacity within the next year) will start one paragraph with something like "Jane is walking to the front of the room" and then the next with "Jane walks to the back of the room" and it's driving me batshit reading it. Having the name will definitely help me to Google and see if others have commented on similar situations, thank you.