evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
Useful offsite references for grammar and style:

Purdue Online Writing Lab: Grammar
: a nice overview of some of the more basic -- but often problematic -- elements of English grammar.

FactMonster's Grammar and Spelling Reference
: Another good grammar overview.

Alan Cooper's Homonyms: A bunch of words that sound alike but mean different things. A grate resource too help yew chews the write won wen inn doubt.

How to use a semicolon
: the Oatmeal's guide to "the most feared punctuation on earth"; combines memorable examples with unforgettable illustrations. (via Shadow Dragon)
How and why to use whom in a sentence: the Oatmeal again, this time on "who" vs. "whom". With monocles. And steeds.

Last edited:

F.E.

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The first two chapters in the 2002 reference grammar by Huddleston and Pullum et al., The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, is available to read for free on their website.

Their Chapter One gives a quick explanation about the difference between prescriptive and descriptive approaches to grammar, and discusses stuff like dialects in standard English, and about informal style vs formal style. It also discusses some other basic concepts used in modern grammar, such as stuff related to syntax. It's an easy read, about 40 pages, and it's free.

Their Chapter Two gives a rapid overview of the modern grammar that is presented in their 1,800 page reference grammar. This chapter gives a good taste of their grammar. It's a relatively easy read (imo), it is about 25 pages, and it's free.

Perhaps some nighttime reading material for those who want to procrastinate in a "productive" way. ... :)

Reactions: Uni Ver Sally

F.E.

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
And those who might like access to more free online stuff, here's H.W. Fowler's The King's English, 2nd edition at Bartleby.com. This is more like a usage commentator's opinions and thoughts on English usage. (That is, it is not a reference grammar.)

And there is also a free online version of an early edition of The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr., at Bartleby.com. (Note that this is not the more familiar 4th edition which is authored by both William Strunk, Jr. and E. B. White.) This is a very simple usage guide, a very small book.

bean60

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for these helpful grammar sites; they will come in useful for me. I use them for myself and for teaching.

Gunga Din

Banned
Reaction score
Excellent stuff, thanks. Now I know that what I know is not always what I thought I knew. Now I just have to learn how to punctuate that last sentence!

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any extensive guides on comma use?

David B

Ironhide
Registered
Reaction score
Wish I'd come here sooner... excellent resources all. thanks.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I appreciate each and every comment.

Every single website link that you guys posted here, have so useful information. I am reading them myself as well as teaching these English rules to my students.

NancyB16

Registered
Reaction score
I book marked all of these sites. Thank you. I was fighting with lay and laid yesterday.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
well crap. I tried guys, sorry. :Shrug:

No worries, but the reason it's public domain is that it's ancient, and not the edition that people expect when they see "Strunk and White."