Kindle Daily Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how Amazon selects which books will be the Kindle Daily Deals?? I've been looking all over and can't find out!! :Hammer:

I wonder if it's a paid advertising thing? Anyone? Bueller?

(Forgive me if this has been asked before...) :)

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I would assume they are chosen from a) e-book publishers, b) e-books that have high ratings and have sold many copies. I did a quick Google search, but found no criteria for how the e-books are chosen.

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Merri,

I wonder if you have to publish through Amazon to be selected? I was looking on Google too and didn't have any luck.

:(

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Someone else posted about the Kindle Daily Deal and there was a link to offers to pay to be "selected" for several different promo options. I'll try to find it. It was in the last couple of days.

As a side note, over on the Kindle forums there are complaints about KDD being of poorer quality than they used to be.

ETA: Found it! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244823

Last edited:

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Merri, this is awesome! (although I don't think they're affiliated with the "Daily Deal" that I was thinking of) http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000677541 :)

I may still give this a try however! They have 56K fans on FB so it looks like they're pretty popular... you think it's worth it? maybe i'll start with the cheapest one and see what happens... :D

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Oh, you're right, they are not the same! I saw Kindle Daily and thought they were the same thing. I see now that they are not.

I'm toying with the idea. I signed up to receive their daily deals and thought I'd check sales ranks for a week or so of the titles that are highlighted. I'm not a big fan of spending money on advertising, so am always skeptical.

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
hahaha I hear you there! That's a good idea, i just signed up to receive it too.

if i decide to try it before you I'll be sure to let you know... :Hug2:

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Thanks, Victoria. It seems like it might be a helpful resource. I'll report back in a week to see if sales rankings improved for the authors who had titles listed.

ETA: Okay, it's May 20th. I've followed a few of the authors who advertised with Kindle Nation and found nominal results. A couple authors were ranking in the 20,000 range and were still doing so after six days. Others were ranking in the 100,000 range and are still there. It didn't seem to draw sales, although it didn't detract either. It seems to have maintained the status quo.

My little sampling is by no means exhaustive and I did not follow all authors who paid for advertising, so make of it what you will. The lowest priced option was around $25, IIRC. It might be worth trying, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I think money would be better spent in other areas (editing, cover art, expanded distribution, etc.).

Last edited:

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
You are AWESOME Merri! Sounds like it's nothing special i guess... :)

Were you looking at people who just did the $25 option?

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I looked at books that interested me. Ha! I couldn't tell you which plans people had purchased. I was just checking sales rank a couple days after I saw the post on Kindle Nation Daily. I also looked at the dates of the reviews. They were mostly from prior months. Of course, someone who just bought the book wouldn't have had time to write a review yet.

If anyone wants to do their own research, just sign-up to receive their daily e-mail and then click on the links and start tracking. It only takes a few minutes each day.

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Merri,

So I thought about doing the Kindle Daily and decided against it... for now! :)

What is weird though, is that Amazon made my eBook $.99 for two weeks via another promotion that they offer (not Daily Deal)....

They didn't even notify me that this was happening!! :Wha:

They must just do what they want, whenever they want with these types of promotions...

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure that you didn't have your book for $.99 through another distributor? From what I understand, Amazon will AUTOMATICALLY match the lowest price your book is listed for on other sites.

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, i never thought of that Wesley!

I'm about 99% sure that it's not at that price anywhere else... although now I'm definitely going to email my publisher to make sure... lol!

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no problem. I've been scanning the self pub / e-pub / promotion forums, and that seems to be a pretty common issue. It's definitely not intuitive.

Hope you get it straightened out whatever it is. :)

victoriafoyt

Registered
Reaction score
Well I don't really mind it actually, I was originally trying to figure out how to do the same thing with the Daily Deal! (although that one's only for a day and this one is two weeks) :)

The frustrating part is that there's no documentation about how Amazon makes these decisions or when they do it. If they'd given me some notice I might've been able to promote it a bit or something...

I actually only found out because a blogger posted it on Twitter! If not for them I wouldn't have known at all probably. :D

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to post that I just did a promo for a kindle fire book of the day on Kindle Nation and am happy with the results. I went from a ranking of 308,000 to 5,000 at the peak. (this is a newly published book by the way) After the 1 day promo expired, (it's Sunday the promo was Thursday) i've sold another 11 books since it expired. I don't know how this happens, but apparently it makes you more visible I assume, which generates sales. So, because I had my book at the lowest price, I only made half my investment back, but still, it's helped me, and I will do it again. It's just another tool to use in the marketing toolbox which may or may not help you as well. Kind of a crapshoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.