RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Looking through old threads on this board (and the Atheism board), there seems to be a tendency to frame discussions between religions in terms of differences in belief (or lack thereof). Unsurprisingly, these discussions produce a lot of strong stark contrasts, but not a lot of common ground.

I was wondering if it might be worth reframing the Comparitive religion and philosophy question in terms of what matters to people rather than what they believe.

We might find a lot more commonality there and it might be easier to see the role of religion and philosophy in each other's lives from that perspective.

I should probably start out with what matters to me.

People matter
Human suffering and its alleviation, matter.
Understanding matters to me and how to expand it.
Figuring out what I'm doing wrong and fixing it matter relative to the above.

That's probably enough for a beginning.
Anyone else?

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Now that's a good idea! Good to think positively rather than negatively.

1. We'd better look after the planet, as it's the only one we've got.
2. Give more than receive.
3. Tolerance.
4. Always be prepared to learn.
5. Someone else's opinions, emotions and values are inviolable. I may not agree with them, but I cannot dispute them.
6. Change the things I cannot accept. Accept the things I cannot change.
7. If in doubt, defer to my wife.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Any common ground is going to be pretty abstract; that gives us an interesting dilemma:

a) Too abstract, and the abstraction is so vague that almost anything can fit under its umbrella.

b) Too specific, and you risk creating minorities you systematically suppress.

The idea is finding a balance that works, but here you have problems with people being different and working well under different levels of abstraction (and that might carry across cultures, too).

I don't work well under abstractions, and the more abstract I get, the colder I get, which is ultimately why I can't follow people into -isms (except maybe relativisms of some sort, since their not content-based), and why me thinking things through can be pretty brutal. As a result believer-me always comes across as more cynical than I actually am.

Let me tackle your list:

People matter

Very abstract. Your next two points could be sub-points of this one, for example.

Human suffering and its alleviation, matter.

This is most likely not abstract enough. I think you'll find more common ground if you delete "human" here.

Understanding matters to me and how to expand it.

That, I think, is just the right abstraction niveau to facilitate discussion.

Figuring out what I'm doing wrong and fixing it matter relative to the above.

This, too.

I'd add:

Personal relationships matter.

So, for example, I'd prioritise the family cat I've known since she was 8 weeks old over a random stranger. It's not a given that this is ethically correct, but your list of things that matter dismisses my family cat. There's no place for her in it. (It's an example. There's no family cat right now.) But if I delete human priority from your list and add personal relationships, we have grounds to debate the ethics of it.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Any common ground is going to be pretty abstract; that gives us an interesting dilemma:

a) Too abstract, and the abstraction is so vague that almost anything can fit under its umbrella.

b) Too specific, and you risk creating minorities you systematically suppress.

The idea is finding a balance that works, but here you have problems with people being different and working well under different levels of abstraction (and that might carry across cultures, too).

I don't work well under abstractions, and the more abstract I get, the colder I get, which is ultimately why I can't follow people into -isms (except maybe relativisms of some sort, since their not content-based), and why me thinking things through can be pretty brutal. As a result believer-me always comes across as more cynical than I actually am.

Let me tackle your list:

Very abstract. Your next two points could be sub-points of this one, for example.

This is most likely not abstract enough. I think you'll find more common ground if you delete "human" here.

That, I think, is just the right abstraction niveau to facilitate discussion.

This, too.

I'd add:

Personal relationships matter.

So, for example, I'd prioritise the family cat I've known since she was 8 weeks old over a random stranger. It's not a given that this is ethically correct, but your list of things that matter dismisses my family cat. There's no place for her in it. (It's an example. There's no family cat right now.) But if I delete human priority from your list and add personal relationships, we have grounds to debate the ethics of it.

Hmm. I see your point about abstraction. In my own mind, personal relationships matter was part of people matter, but it is not obvious from what I said.

Bear in mind that my list was personal so I did not intend to dismiss your cat.

But we do seem to have an ethical divide not so much about the cat as about the stranger.

While I tend to think that I do not have equal responsibility to all people (my wife and children are more directly my care than anyone else), I do not hold with the idea that a stranger is none of my care. I may not be able to practically do anything for them, but they are still my care and concern.

And, if say someone close to me harmed a stranger wrongly, I would think it wrong to protect them from the consequences of their actions.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
I'm a Buddhist Agnostic Former Christian Flawed Middle Aged White Man Born in the West.

To me, the No. 1 aspect of What Matters is Fairness. If we're Fair with each other, all other things fall into place.

Yes, I know that Fairness can be defined in a variety of ways, as well. But I think that you know what I mean.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Freedom matters. If you're not free, none of the other things that matter are yours.

Too abstract? Freedom to live your life without interference and to express yourself without repression or censorship.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I see your point about abstraction. In my own mind, personal relationships matter was part of people matter, but it is not obvious from what I said.

That's the thing, really. A list of what matters is hard, because we don't tend to think in those terms. These things form the very basis of what we are; it's not easy to even see that, sometimes.

For example, notice how - in my above post - I immediately jumped on ethics? But that's not the only function religion sastisfies. Take, for example, "life after death". The question of whether such a thing exists may matter to people, although the answer need not be directly ethical in nature. That is, the primary reason why it matters is comfort rather than a decision aid.

Bear in mind that my list was personal so I did not intend to dismiss your cat.
I know. When you said, "Human suffering matters," I didn't actually think that you meant to say that non-human suffering doesn't matter. But there has to be a reason you added "human".

My objection is methodological: if you're trying to get at commonalities by listing things that matter, you're making things trickier by putting a lot into one statement. For example, you might break down "Human suffering matters," into:

a) "Suffering matters."
b) "Being human matters."

Unless one of those two is conditional (e.g. being human only matters if you're suffering), you should end up in much the same place. But you've taken things apart analytically: you've become more abstract.

I read your original post when you posted it, but I left the thread alone, because I simply didn't know what to say. Anything I could think of seemed either trite or untrue. Then I forgot about the thread until it was revived today. And I still don't know what to say, except when riffing off of your list.

So, for example, I know I would never have said "human suffering matters." If it's valid to break that down into a) and b) above, for example, we could find out why: I think it's because I assign a lower priority ot "being human matters". That is: after we have a list of things that matter, we can assign rankings to the things that matter.

I'm not sure "being human" matters to me all that much. I think, if I ever find myself agreeing with that it's probably on account of a hidden variable, such as "things I can understand matter more than things I don't understand" (which is maybe pragmatically sound since you'll be less anxious about "messing up", but potentially has troubling implications with respects to -isms and perceived).

But we do seem to have an ethical divide not so much about the cat as about the stranger.

While I tend to think that I do not have equal responsibility to all people (my wife and children are more directly my care than anyone else), I do not hold with the idea that a stranger is none of my care. I may not be able to practically do anything for them, but they are still my care and concern.

And, if say someone close to me harmed a stranger wrongly, I would think it wrong to protect them from the consequences of their actions.
I don't disagree with anything you said here. That's what makes even mentioning things that "matter" so difficult.

You said: "Human suffering matters."

I thought to myself: well, yes it does. But why single out "human" suffering? The result of that train of thought found its way into my post, but it wasn't exactly thought through.

For example, when I said, "I'd prioritise the family cat I've known since she was 8 weeks old over a random stranger," I've probably over-generalised what I'd do, precisely because I reacted against the "human". And now you've probably had the same reaction to "stranger". And that makes it so hard. I'm not even sure what I should have said. Proabably something like:
I can imagine situations in which I would prioritise the family cat over strangers.
But is that really closer to the truth? Or am I understating my case? I find this difficult. What did I really mean?

I think that what matters to me is "personal relationship". That is: I've put effort in maintaining it. That would be consistent with other feelings of mine. If it suddenly turned out that I had a brother I knew nothing about, then that brother would mean little to me, probably because we have no personal relationship. Saying "Personal relationships matter," feels consistent with saying "Blood ties don't matter" (which is something I've often said). So, maybe that's what I was saying?

I have an easier time forming attachments to some animals than to some people, and that should matter, too. Or rather: don't priviledge humans just because they share your species.

Again, this is all very abstract, and in practise we won't disagree about a lot of things (judging from your posts). But we do react differently to each other's language. Which is interesting. And something I've never quite worked out.

Perhaps I could summarise my reason to post like this:

1. A list of things that matter is probably incomplete.

2. A list of things that matter will include things that matter more and things that matter less (and the more something matters the more likely it's going to be in the list)

Thus, a list of things that matter implies a way of ordering experience: a set of implicit priorities. (See your "human suffering" instead of "suffering", and my "personal realtionships" instead of "relationships")

4. A list of things that matter will include things that are more controversial, and things that are less controversial (and the more controversial something that matters is, the more likely it is in the list)

Thus, a list of things that matter hints at who are used to talking to. (See my reply to your post, which reflects personally acquired bugbears with humanist rhetoric and - possibly - ethics.)

5. You'll never know if something's on the list because of (3) or (4) (or some other reason I can't think of), and thus it's best not to make assumptions. Also, (3) and (4) are not independent of each other: who you talk to a lot has an influence on how you order your perceptions.

6. So bearing this in mind, how do we figure out commonolaties based on lists of things that matter? Somehow, I don't think Venn diagrams will work...

ETA: @Fairness: So, let's say, you think you're fair, and I think you're unfair. Could it be that it's because we think different things matter? (I don't mean to be difficult. I just am.)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I came in here to say simply, "People matter." But seeing the depth and variety of answers here, I'll amend it to, "People should matter to eachother above all else." Human bonds, the survival of life on this planet, human happiness, compassion (for all beings, not just humans), human experience (knowledge, memory, interactions, etc), human diversity.

I do not believe a hermit (or, in a more black&white example, someone in total isolation) can be totally free. To me, freedom is the ability to control one's interactions with others, to neither abuse nor be abused in any way. You can't be free by being alone any more than you can eat healthy by not eating. Which, one could argue, is to a degree.

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Buddhist Agnostic Former Christian Flawed Middle Aged White Man Born in the West.

To me, the No. 1 aspect of What Matters is Fairness. If we're Fair with each other, all other things fall into place.

Yes, I know that Fairness can be defined in a variety of ways, as well. But I think that you know what I mean.

I'm not sure I do know. I immediately think of judgments about what other people "deserve," which is dangerous territory and I don't believe it's what you mean. Do you think that doing your best to treat others fairly is what matters, or that creating a world that is fair is what matters? They are so vastly different, to my mind.

As to the original question: That question is hard for so many reasons, not least of which is the lack of distinction between what MATTERS and what matters TO ME. And even in the smaller realm of what matters TO ME, there is what matters in theory and what matters in practice. In theory, suffering matters a lot. In practice, even though my children aren't starving, they still get new toys at Christmas, bought with money that could have put food on someone else's table. I know that a new lego set doesn't MATTER the way life MATTERS.

Then there is the question: How do you know that what matters TO YOU actually MATTERS AT ALL? And that's one I really can't answer.

On a rare faith-inclined day, I'd probably say that God matters, and because God matters, humanity matters. But other days I don't have any place for the buck to stop. Matters to whom?

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
My OP was meant to be a question of what matters to each person, not what matters universally. The idea was to see if there is more common ground from this direction then there is from a more theological and/or philosophical perspective.

My list of what mattered to me, included things that are common concerns of many religions and of humanists (suffering and understanding). They also are my major concerns.

The matter of suffering has been elaborated as has personal relationships. While they have not come out to agreed upon attitudes, they exist in the same universe of discourse and people with disparate viewpoints are talking about them.

Fairness and freedom have been brought up. I'd like to request some elaboration from the posters who did so. Single words rarely have clear meanings. A more elaborated view of these can bring them into discourse.

The example of the children with toys brings up something subtle that I think people are often embarrassed to say. Joy matters to a lot of people. Not always their own joy, but the joy of those they love.

Which brings up the other thing I left off from my list.
Love matters.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Hmm ... freedom? Or as Mel Gibson's historically-suspect Wallace said, freeeedom.

I don't think any of us are truly free. We all live in the constraints of society, laws, relationships. And, given the alternatives, I'm quite happy to keep it that way.

So I think I'm with Richard on this point. What exactly do we mean by freedom? I have a feeling that there is something about freedom that I do want (I don't want to be unfairly imprisoned), but I'm not sure what it is.

Love does indeed matter. And it strikes me that a lot of the things that we have been talking about boil down to love in one form or another.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I'd elaborate on freedom, but I'd probably get another "I'd noticed" shot by way of disapproval, so I'll let you folks bump it around.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I'd elaborate on freedom, but I'd probably get another "I'd noticed" shot by way of disapproval, so I'll let you folks bump it around.

I promise that if you elaborate it. I will treat it seriously. I'm not saying I won't question for elaboration or object. But I will treat it seriously. Otherwise, one word is not helpful. Freedom is too broad a word on its own.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My OP was meant to be a question of what matters to each person, not what matters universally. The idea was to see if there is more common ground from this direction then there is from a more theological and/or philosophical perspective.

*snip*

Which brings up the other thing I left off from my list.
Love matters.

And that's how I took it.

And love is the first thing that popped into my mind. Love matters, above all else, IMO. If you have love, then everything else falls into place because love should affect the way you treat other people, your outlook on life, your beliefs...it colors everything. Or should.

Acceptance, also, but that, as I said, would be colored by love. Real love. I don't mean the same kind of love for everyone. I certainly love my husband differently than I love my sisters or my best friend.

But acceptance matters too - acceptance of others' beliefs and thoughts and ideas. Whether vastly different than your own or very similar.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
An interesting discussion. I would like to remind everyone, though, that the opening post does not set the terms of the conversation -- it can wander wherever folks would like to take it.

As a Quaker, my religious compass is that of our Testimonies: Simplicity, Peace, Truth, Community, and Equality.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing. Nothing truly matters. Except that it is human nature to make things matter to us, and I think that's potentially a good thing. There is no 'meaning to life' except those we invent. From my perspective, I sure hope your invented meaning is "stuff that doesn't hurt me." My invented meanings are all stuff that doesn't hurt you, I hope. These include:

1. Try to do as little damage as possible. (just being alive means doing some--there is no zero carbon imprint while alive.)
2. Know myself.
3. Don't give unsolicited advice to other adult human beings.
4. Understand as far as I can the nature of the universe (physics, geology, astronomy) and grok my (infinitesimally small and brief) place in it.
5. Understand that all my understandings, in factual knowledge, beliefs, etc. are in process, temporary, and useless or dangerous if they can't change and grow as I read more, listen more, live more.
6. Feel as much pleasure, joy, and contentment as I can squeeze out of my brief life (keeping in mind meaning #1).

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
So on the subject of common ground. Well, everyone regardless of creed strives the be a decent person (with few and very notable exceptions, I think we call those "psychopaths"). Most or all of the time it's just a matter of difference in what one's definition of a decent person is. Sometimes so different that we even use a different name for it- think for example of the gulf of meaning between "I want to be a good person" and "I want to live a good life", yet both clearly have good intentions.

If I were to make a list of what matters to me it would have been awfully similar to yours, Richard, almost word for word. Yet I'd bet based on the sheer diversity of this message board that the odds that we have similar personalities in application are pretty slim. Maybe I'm a vegan who believes most war is justified (I'm not) and you're a butcher by trade and a staunch pacifist on international matters (you're probably not, it's just an example).

One thing that's universal is that all people aspire to a higher standard than they live up to. No nihilist ever behaves as if truly nothing ever mattered, no ascetic ever entirely rejects every aspect of the material world, etc. A hermit isn't absolutely isolated, no community is ever shared in its entirety- hell, even people who strive for moderation will have one or two traits in extremes. Being human seems to be mostly an experience of deciding which inconsistencies we can live with and to which degree.

I'm imagining you've already heard of the idea that when we both use the word "green", and both agree that a pine needle is green, the colour I'm seeing could actually be your "blue", but you call it green because everyone else does. And the colour you're seeing might actually be my "yellow", but I'd never know because we all call it green. It's "the colour of a pine needle" to everyone who speaks the same language to describe the same object, but indetectable physical differences in our eyes could very well mean a radical shift in what the pine needle actually looks like from one POV to the next. You think of yellow as the colour of a lemon and so do I, but to someone who percieves the wavelengths of light a pine needle reflects as yellow, the lemon may look like your "orange". In that case my "orange" would be your "red", et cetera.

In a similar way all philosophies might derive from the same unnamable something, too broad to cover in a single phrase, and vary only in the ways in which each person's concept and therefore treatment of that something is imperfect.

After all, when a person shows one of their imperfections, do we not reveal our acceptance by saying "That's what makes you who you are?" Life (whether you're secular, spiritual, religious or something else) is that unpredictable, beautiful, heartbreaking, universally shared gap between you and the something. That's what all people of all creeds have in common- they all are more complicated than their ideas.

Your comment had just seemed a little rude, in a "I'm quoting this dissenting viewpoint Raventongue brought up because it's utterly stupid" way. It was more that that I was showing disapproval of, not the actual content.

I'm willing to assume it was all just a coincidence born of the fact that we can't convey tone of voice over the internet. Or to keep disapproving, if you want to get insulted every time someone has an opinion on beliefs you happen to hold.

Last edited:

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
I'm not sure I do know. I immediately think of judgments about what other people "deserve," which is dangerous territory and I don't believe it's what you mean. Do you think that doing your best to treat others fairly is what matters, or that creating a world that is fair is what matters? They are so vastly different, to my mind.

As to the original question: That question is hard for so many reasons, not least of which is the lack of distinction between what MATTERS and what matters TO ME. And even in the smaller realm of what matters TO ME, there is what matters in theory and what matters in practice. In theory, suffering matters a lot. In practice, even though my children aren't starving, they still get new toys at Christmas, bought with money that could have put food on someone else's table. I know that a new lego set doesn't MATTER the way life MATTERS.

Then there is the question: How do you know that what matters TO YOU actually MATTERS AT ALL? And that's one I really can't answer.

On a rare faith-inclined day, I'd probably say that God matters, and because God matters, humanity matters. But other days I don't have any place for the buck to stop. Matters to whom?

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.