• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Noura Books / Mizan Publishing

writergirl29

Registered
Reaction score
I self-published a book about a month ago. It's doing pretty well for being up a short amount of time. I got the following email today.

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Shera Sihbudi, the Foreign
Rights Acquisition Editor at Noura Books, an Indonesian publishing
house under Mizan group.

I've read some reviews on XXX, and they got me
interested in your book. I'm especially curious about how people seem
to be very fond of the character, XXX :)

So I was wondering, are the translation rights to this title still
available? If they are, would you be able to send a reading copy for
us to review ourselves?

Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

I found the following website as well. Anyone know anything about them? http://nourabooks.mizan.com/

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
The first thing to be sure of is if the person sending you the email is actually from Mizan publishing. So, is the email address from an (at)mirzan.com address?

The second - is Mirzan a "real" publisher (their website lists a few gmail.com addresses among the staff), they also appear to do self-pubbing and POD.

Third - is it a fair point (are people very fond of character XXX, or is that just what's been said in the reviews at the top of the page?)

To be honest, I'm curious as to why they want to to send them a reader copy. If they are interested, wouldn't they have bought the book and read it before contacting you?

I'd tread carefully. Don't send them anything. Ask lots of questions up front.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Also, you should be entitled to an advance for the foreign market. In most cases, it's at least $1,000 per country or groups of countries. I would ask them what advances do they pay and if it is for Indonesia or for other countries and check with them on their royalty rate before sending anything.

They're selling Rick Riordan's book (He's a pretty big name in YA fantasy). So if they've got the rights for it, that's a pretty good sign.

Good Luck!