• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jericho Writers (formerly The Writers' Workshop)

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering whether anyone is familiar with the services of the Writers' Workshop in England. It's run by Harry Bingham, a published author, and offers among other things, editing services.

http://www.writersworkshop.co.uk/About-us.html

The web site information looks terrific, as do the editing services (albeit really expensive). They offer a sample of the type of editorial feedback along with testimonials. They also indicate that they have connections with British agents.

While I couldn't afford a full MS critique I might be interested in sending in a partial if I know it's useful both from the viewpoint of feedback and potential contact with UK agents.

Does anyone had any first-hand (hey, even second-hand) knowledge about them?

Interrobang

Registered
Reaction score
I'd try shopping around before I went with any one editor. Have you looked at the 'Society for Editors and Proofreaders'? They have a searchable database of professional editors.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
They have some very impressive names listed among their critiquers.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They have some very impressive names listed among their critiquers.

They do indeed.

I'm friends with a few of the people who give critiques for the Writers' Workshop: they're good people, excellent writers, and brilliant editors. I've heard nothing but good reports about the critiques they provide, and recommend them often.

(Just to be clear, the WW also organises the York Festival of Writing, which I've attended as a speaker for the last two years, so I do have a connection with them. But even if I didn't, I'd still recommend them. Their work is good.)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I personally know 2 of their editors and a third by reputation. As reputatable as they come.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I know several of the editors who work for the Writers' Workshop, and I've spoken at their annual conference in York. They're good.

They run classes, and there's one I've heard so much good stuff about it's getting a bit ridiculous. It's the Self Editing course run by Emma Darwin and Debi Alper (who are both fab, by the way). If you think it's appropriate for you, do it. It's a really good one.

blackpaws

Registered
Reaction score
[Workshops] Jericho Writers

I was considering doing an Ms assessment but then reconsidered it in favor of an editing/revision course so I have solid skills under my belt instead of always relying on an assessment service. I came across two revision courses that look good but also quite different.

One is super duper comprehensive, to the point where you could probably do some side work editing others’ books afterwards. It’s the Cornerstones Editing Course. It’s 18 weeks and awfully expensive at £1,800. I don’t know if it’s worth that amount of money, but it also includes getting your synopsis and materials ready for a professional submission. By the end, editing my next books would be like carving butter with a hot knife.

Alternatively, the Jericho Writers Self-Editing Course is a fraction of the cost £595 (without discount), run by a very experienced Editor and is 5 or 6 weeks. I’ve heard fantastic things about this course and seen the editor in action. But, will I have to come back to this course with every new Ms I create, or will it give me the tools I need forever more?

I’m not made of money or anything, but I’m willing to sacrifice some things now in order to get the skills I need to make the money back.

If anyone has done any of these courses, please share your opinions. Dying to know.

Last edited:

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done either but I know Debi Alper who runs the Jericho self-edit course, her and Emma Darwin are an awesome duo. A number of friends/people I know have done the course and not one had a bad thing to say about it. The course also has a very good success rate (alumni that I've been published via the trade route).

The thing is with manuscript assessment at a literary agency is that it is all luck of the draw on who your MS gets assigned to and that editor being a correct fit.

I hope this helps.

blackpaws

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Yeah, that Alper / Darwin course sure does have its strengths!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Torrill just came back from a Jericho Writers course and gave an excellent update. You might like to talk to her about it.

I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I suggest taking the no cost beta reader exchange first. Or post a chapter here on AW for feedback.

Find out if you know how to put a sentence together first, before shelling out that kind of money.

I know an editor with mad skills who can sort things out based on the first 10 pages for 10 bucks. Message me and I'll send a link.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You won't regret taking either of the courses, but if I were you I'd take the Jericho Writers one. Debi Alper and Emma Darwin are wonderful. You will learn so much from them.

blackpaws

Registered
Reaction score
It seems the balance is tipped in favour of Jericho.

The fact is, the Cornerstones course doesn’t have a whole lot of reviews. And, for £1,800 - it needs to shine bright. It is a new course, which could be the reason it doesn't have much buzz around it but still. On the other hand, the Jericho course shines very bright indeed and has numerous reviews, all positive. It’s certainly easier on the old budget too.

Thank you for all your responses and feedback. It’s saved me loads already!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Blackpaws - this is a slightly old thread, but I wanted to add that Cornerstones is totally legit, and as well as the course they offer editorial services (which include a free 10 page assessment). They also offer mentoring. I work as an editor for them so can vouch.