Sarah Palin's comment about secret service agent.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Palin has to be nudging up on fifty, yet most of the quotes I read from her sound like something a tweener would say. Have you watched her in videos? Between her sentence structure, word selection and logic jumps, I get vertigo trying to watch her in interviews.

Ah yes, this is a writer's board isn't it? How refreshing. I remember trying to explain to people that she made no sense. They'd stare at me blanky and say they understood her just fine. Of course everyone had a different interpretation of what she "meant." Never mind what she actually said.

That, of course is because she didn't SAY anything. Her debate with Biden was a complete disaster. Just reading the transcripts was maddening. Seriously, what is this woman evertalking about?

Okay. I'm calm.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. Of all the things we can mock Sarah Palin about, her choosing to use the word "bodyguard" to describe Secret Service agents doesn't exactly rate.

I still don't think anything tops her view of 1000 BC, where dinosaurs roamed the world... a theory she gained by reading all of the newspapers, no doubt.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Meh. Of all the things we can mock Sarah Palin about, her choosing to use the word "bodyguard" to describe Secret Service agents doesn't exactly rate.

I still don't think anything tops her view of 1000 BC, where dinosaurs roamed the world... a theory she gained by reading all of the newspapers, no doubt.

You have a point, but contempt for bodyguards is actually pretty contemptible.

Frankly, the idea that there are people willing to give their lives to protect you should be pretty darn humbling.

And, in case anyone asks. No, it doesn't matter that it's their job. They are still willing to die for someone else. That should be respected.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
If she.... what?

When criticizing the eloquence (or lack thereof) of others, maybe one should be especially careful to check for typos.

great catch. i will now take my rightful place in the intellectual hierarchy behind sarah palin.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
You have a point, but contempt for bodyguards is actually pretty contemptible.

Frankly, the idea that there are people willing to give their lives to protect you should be pretty darn humbling.

And, in case anyone asks. No, it doesn't matter that it's their job. They are still willing to die for someone else. That should be respected.
Well, lots of people are willing to give their lives for others. Cops, firemen, soldiers, etc.

But that doesn't--or at least shouldn't--give them a free pass for anything they might say or do in the meantime, however.

So, I don't think anyone needs to humbled, here. Not even Sarah Palin.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Well, lots of people are willing to give their lives for others. Cops, firemen, soldiers, etc.

But that doesn't--or at least shouldn't--give them a free pass for anything they might say or do in the meantime, however.

So, I don't think anyone needs to humbled, here. Not even Sarah Palin.

There is an "I-thou" error here.

I think the point was not the transitive verb, "to humble" someone else (which really means "to humiliate"), but the passive "to be humbled.".

Of course people should not be permitted to act outrageously just because they risk their lives.

But that a human being is prepared to risk his life for me should be a cause for gratitude and respect from me.

This was not a prescription for others to be humbled, but an awareness that one's self should be humbled.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
great catch. i will now take my rightful place in the intellectual hierarchy behind sarah palin.

If I had a dirty mind, or where say a secret service agent, I'd question what it was you were really doing behind Sarah Palin.

Alas, as I am not a secret service agent, nor do I have much of a mind, I shall leave that up to you.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Granted, I'm no Sarah Palin fan, but is the purpose of this thread to bash her because she used the term 'bodyguard' when celebrating the firing of a secret service agent who stared at her ass when he was supposed to be protecting her?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Granted, I'm no Sarah Palin fan, but is the purpose of this thread to bash her because she used the term 'bodyguard' when celebrating the firing of a secret service agent who stared at her ass when he was supposed to be protecting her?
Apparently. Nobody got upset when Whitney called Kevin a bodyguard, though.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I must admit that I find it VERY interesting that we have a Secret Service agent who is a bona fide creepozoid and yet the thread turns into yet another tiresome Sarah Palin is an idiot thread. She may be an idiot, but that doesn't make the Secret Service agent any less of a creep. Strangely enough, it's almost a knee-jerk reaction now. Sarah Palin makes a statement about something just to stay in the spotlight and everyone knocks themselves out to talk about how stupid she is.

And yet...Palin achieves her purpose because here we all are talking about her again. Kind of have to ask yourselves--didn't Palin succeed at her objective? Isn't she still in the spotlight, referring to an incident in which she had no involvement (SSA hooker scandal) but putting herself and her opinion into the news and right in front of us all?

She might be smarter than you're giving her credit for. *shrug* And I personally can't stand anything about the woman.

Just sayin'...

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently. Nobody got upset when Whitney called Kevin a bodyguard, though.

That's because no one believed Kevin. He's not exactly the most in-depth character actor. ;)

Still good movie though.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I must admit that I find it VERY interesting that we have a Secret Service agent who is a bona fide creepozoid and yet the thread turns into yet another tiresome Sarah Palin is an idiot thread. She may be an idiot, but that doesn't make the Secret Service agent any less of a creep. Strangely enough, it's almost a knee-jerk reaction now. Sarah Palin makes a statement about something just to stay in the spotlight and everyone knocks themselves out to talk about how stupid she is.

And yet...Palin achieves her purpose because here we all are talking about her again. Kind of have to ask yourselves--didn't Palin succeed at her objective? Isn't she still in the spotlight, referring to an incident in which she had no involvement (SSA hooker scandal) but putting herself and her opinion into the news and right in front of us all?

She might be smarter than you're giving her credit for. *shrug* And I personally can't stand anything about the woman.

Just sayin'...

Sarah Palin is one of those people that some people go nuts over.

Imagine if you will a giant sea monster coming out near the bay. It starts smashing boats and cars. It grabs anyone it sees and swallows them whole.

Sarah Palin is there and runs.

She bumps into someone who is standing there shocked beyond belief and can't move.

Sarah says, "You better run, that sea monster will eat you!"

A portion of people will, unwilling to believ Sarah Palin could be right about anything, go up and try and hug the sea monster. They will of course be eaten.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the same people who rake palin over the coals for her comment about this proven creep of a secret service agent would be orgasming a collective "you go, girl!" if the ass-checking-out had happened to michelle obama or some other darling of the left and they had made the "bodyguard" comment.

'tis the nature of the partisan.

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
My issue with Palin's comment is that she's trying to link this incident which happened while she was on the campaign trail (when BUSH was in office) to Obama's supposed lack of leadership and control of the SS.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
the same people who rake palin over the coals for her comment about this proven creep of a secret service agent would be orgasming a collective "you go, girl!" if the ass-checking-out had happened to michelle obama or some other darling of the left and they had made the "bodyguard" comment.

'tis the nature of the partisan.

What I wouldn't give to be Claire McCaskill's bodyguard. God, she's hot.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
My issue with Palin's comment is that she's trying to link this incident which happened while she was on the campaign trail (when BUSH was in office) to Obama's supposed lack of leadership and control of the SS.

Mine is using it to take a swipe at President Obama for being fed dog as a child. That part of the comment isn't as widely quoted, but to me, it's pure Palin. Not a good thing.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
as for "bodyguard", I have no love for Palin, but that is essentially what the agents are, no?

No, no, and no some more. I've had friends who are secret service agents, and this misperception never fails to piss them off.

Yes, they protect important folks. They provide security at big events like inaugurations, major international meetings (World Bank, NATO), Olympic Games, the Democratic and Republican national conventions. They're law enforcement, not bodyguards.

ALSO, secret service are Treasury agents. They're the ones in charge of counterfeiting and major fraud investigations. They're involved in investigation and prevention of cyber-crime, especially financial, including electronic surveillance to protect U.S. financial systems.

They do a whole lot more than act as bodyguards.

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
They do a whole lot more than act as bodyguards.

Isn't that confusing the issue? The agent in question was assigned to a political figure (candidate for VP)... as a bodyguard.

Yes? No?

The Secret Service as a service is much more than that, but that's what this agent was at the time in question.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
although their investigative roles continue to be related to fraud and financial issues, they are no longer treasury agents, having been moved from under treasury to under homeland security nearly ten years ago.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that confusing the issue? The agent in question was assigned to a political figure (candidate for VP)... as a bodyguard.

Yes? No?

The Secret Service as a service is much more than that, but that's what this agent was at the time in question.

That's true. But there is a wide misconception that this is all the Secret Service does, and that's completely untrue.