• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

A billion stars

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Impressive.

Of course, there are from 200 billion to 400 billion stars in the Milky Way. And there may be 200 billion to 400 billion galaxies in the universe.

It makes our problems (writer's block, rejectomania, etc.) seem rather small. ;)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Pssh. Counting to a billion is a job for droids, not humans.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
One of my favorite lines from my own writing goes something like,

"There are an estimated hundred billion stars in our galaxy. There are estimated to be at least a hundred billion galaxies in our universe.

For each of those stars, there is a story. This is one of them..."

Yeah, it's corny as hell and I'll never use it in a published work, but damn I thought it was good when I wrote it.

:)

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought that cosmology, preferably starting with Carl Sagan's pale blue dot speech, should be mandatory at school. The perspective it offers just might change a few lives for the better

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought that cosmology, preferably starting with Carl Sagan's pale blue dot speech, should be mandatory at school. The perspective it offers just might change a few lives for the better

Me too.

I teach geography and history, but I alway make time to explain the basics of our universe. I mean, come one, it's not as if were from Krikkit.

I always love the incredulous looks on the faces of my students. Some of them finish elementary school without learning Earth revolves around the Sun. Or that the moon doesn't give off light itself. And so on.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
And maybe a billion worlds in our galaxy just like ours

The scale of the universe humbles and inspires me.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me too.

I teach geography and history, but I alway make time to explain the basics of our universe. I mean, come one, it's not as if were from Krikkit.

I always love the incredulous looks on the faces of my students. Some of them finish elementary school without learning Earth revolves around the Sun. Or that the moon doesn't give off light itself. And so on.

Since you are in the Netherlands, I'm assuming that is where you teach. If so, I am astonished to learn that students over there know so little. I am under the impression that this kind of lamentable ignorance is found more often among children in the US than in Europe. :Huh:

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Since you are in the Netherlands, I'm assuming that is where you teach. If so, I am astonished to learn that students over there know so little. I am under the impression that this kind of lamentable ignorance is found more often among children in the US than in Europe. :Huh:

The focus of our educational system is on languages, math, economics and practical skills. These are the moneymakers, at least according to the Department of Education, so they are generally taught very well.

In our elementary school system, all subjects are taught by one teacher. Usually, they tend to focus on the "important" ones. Geography and history can be left out a bit.

Cosmology is mostly reserved for physics, which most students study when they're in high school and then usually from third grade into their final year.

I believe geography is about mankind and its place in nature. History is about mankind and its role in time. I think in order to get the right perspectives, students must at least be familiar with their place in the Universe. That's why I teach cosmology, or at least the basics of it.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The focus of our educational system is on languages, math, economics and practical skills. These are the moneymakers, at least according to the Department of Education, so they are generally taught very well.

In our elementary school system, all subjects are taught by one teacher. Usually, they tend to focus on the "important" ones. Geography and history can be left out a bit.

Cosmology is mostly reserved for physics, which most students study when they're in high school and then usually from third grade into their final year.

I believe geography is about mankind and its place in nature. History is about mankind and its role in time. I think in order to get the right perspectives, students must at least be familiar with their place in the Universe. That's why I teach cosmology, or at least the basics of it.

I think that's an excellent philosophy of teaching. Learning without context leads to narrow-mindedness. History, geography, and cosmology (along with biology I would say) are great providers of that context.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Me too.

Wow, you're teaching them the most important lesson of all - wonder. Brilliant. Well done.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score