A GAME OF THRONES (HBO) -- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I agree that some of the chit-chatting scenes are good and necessary. But too many of them *this season* feel pointless because the story isn't following through on plot-threads. The entire Episode 1 was just moving people into Winterfell. It felt wasteful. I do much prefer the pacing of the early seasons, which included a lot of chit-chat, but it always felt meaningful and loaded with both information and undertone.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Now I want it all to be a nightmare of Ned Stark's as he contemplates becoming King Robert's Hand. He wakes up and refuses the job. The End.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not mad about where any of the characters ended up.

How they got there...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
There are at least two (two!) plastic water bottles visible in the main council scene.

Also, Drogon alone knows that men cannot prosper until they throw off the yoke of monarchy.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
There are at least two (two!) plastic water bottles visible in the main council scene.

Also, Drogon alone knows that men cannot prosper until they throw off the yoke of monarchy.

Exactly.

Really makes me question again just how sentient the dragons are. Hope he's not really the last.

Also, their new system has worked sooo well for the Vatican... :sarcasm

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor Drogon. Lost his brothers, lost his mom and given the lifespan of dragons, he's still just a baby. Poor baby boy.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Poor Drogon. Lost his brothers, lost his mom and given the lifespan of dragons, he's still just a baby. Poor baby boy.

May he find a portal to the Hidden World....

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was disappointed. Yet another example of domestic violence, ending with a man killing a woman because he didn’t like something she did and/or said, and whose ‘prison sentence’ is rather light (IMO) when he horse-rides off into the snowy woods with his dog. (BTW, isn’t that what he wanted anyway?)

I don’t need to watch high fantasy for that, we have print and broadcast journalism giving detailed accounts of this daily reality.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was disappointed. Yet another example of domestic violence, ending with a man killing a woman because he didn’t like something she did and/or said, and whose ‘prison sentence’ is rather light (IMO) when he horse-rides off into the snowy woods with his dog. (BTW, isn’t that what he wanted anyway?)

I don’t need to watch high fantasy for that, we have print and broadcast journalism giving detailed accounts of this daily reality.

Game of Thrones has had many disturibing factors. This is probably the most disturbing and telling.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I have some spoilers....

Okay, but she slaughtered hundreds of innocents. Perhaps the way in which Jon ended her life wasn't ideal, but she did need to go. I was getting so angry with him "You're my queen..." that the first words out of my mouth when he killed her was, "Thank God."

Honestly, I'm happy with the ending. I didn't want my favorite characters to die, and aside from Jamie, they didn't. I loved that Brienne filled in his pages. He didn't deserve for them to be blank. I absolutely loved the scene with the council. I'm so happy with the people on the council, and I thought it was really cute and human to show Tyrion straightening the chairs.

I was glad to see Yora and Pod again. I think it was good for Greyworm to be shown going to Naath - he didn't have Massandei with him, but he had a dream for peace.

I also love that Sansa is Queen of the North and that Arya is off to be Christopher Columbus. That suits her too.

Yup. The Starks win, minus Jon going north, perhaps. But I think he belongs there with the Wildlings and Ghost. He didn't belong on the throne either, so I think the only other option would have had him as perhaps Commander of the Winterfell army or something. Advising Sansa.

One question though - do they still need the Wall? We're all friends with the Wildlings now, and the Others and NK are gone. So...what's the point?

I may be the only one, but I am happy. The more I think about it, the more I am pleased with the ending.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not mad about where any of the characters ended up.

How they got there...
Yep.

And for me, that meant this final episode--unlike the final season--was fairly satisfying.

I'll maintain that far too may characters survived the battle with the White Walkers--Brienne, Greyworm, and Jaime all should have gotten offed in the battle, along with maybe Davos and Sam as well--which left too many strings. But given that reality, things were tied up as best as they could be, imo.

Dany had to die and Jon was the right person to do it. And Drogon flying away was far more satisfying than having to kill him, having Jon take over for Dany, or having Bran warg into him. That whole sequence felt right to me. Similarly, sending Jon north--back to Ghost and Tormund--also felt right.

Then there's Sansa refusing to "bend the knee" to anyone (fully supported to Arya, who also sets Yara straight), Brienne finishing out Jaime's history, Tyrion being made Hand essentially as punishment for all of his mistakes, and Arya sailing off into the unknown. All good stuff, with plenty of great lines..."You Master of Grammar now, too?"

Bran as king is okay with me, it's just that--consistent with the tweet above--he doesn't seem to really earn it, at least as far as what everyone can see. But that's a failure of previous episodes, imo.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
For all the "breaking of the wheel" talk, I thought it was pretty interesting that Arya, Sansa, and Jon ended up...well, back where we basically started with their characters. Sansa meant to be a queen, Jon meant for the far north, and Arya insisting on going her own way. I came away relatively satisfied (mostly because I've been grading on a steadily declining curve for a few seasons, now, but whatever), or at least not as outraged as many people I see online.

What I appreciate most is that I can see the threads GRRM pulled through to the ending, and how those will be so much richer with better storytelling. If he wants to finish the books, I think they will be worth reading for the completion of the story tapestry, even though fans know the ending. There is a funny horse meme that has been making the rounds, used to describe the writing on the show. I think it's probably the most accurate depiction there is. You can still tell it's a horse, but...yeeh *grimace*

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
This tweet is pretty spot-on.

I feel like they leaned pretty hard on the 'The best ruler is the one who never does anything' trope at the end there. Sounds awesome on paper. No issue whatsoever with the whole elective monarchy bit, comes with its own set of problems but has precedence IRL. And I can see how, on some level, Dany didn't break the wheel but at least dented it.

I wonder if future kings are gonna have to link to the RavenNet tho.

BTW, can somebody PLEASE start a petition to change the new king's name!? Bran the Blessed, Bran the Unlikely, Bran the Raven, No-Drama o'Brama, ANYTHING is better than Bran the Broken.

It made me feel gross. I actually really liked Evul Dany, as much as she felt like a different character and they never give her a chance to own it. Lot to unpack there. Jon has a problem killing his gfs, poor fella. :rolleyes

My GF had a funny takeaway: "So glad we can rush through a zombie invasion and thermonuclear crisis to have a bunch of middle-management types making decisions in a conference room".

Also, I missed the deep foreshadowing where Arya says she'd like to sail off into the sea for some reason and we were told that dragons like symbolism/dislike chairs. At least Sansa.

Ultimately, I'm still more satisfied than I thought I'd be. Guh that's a low bar then.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I keep forgetting to mention the best part of the night...the WESTWORLD trailer!

QIAiZ9qm.jpg

Last edited: