Good markets for reprints?

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of stories, one previously published and one forthcoming, which I suspect I may have "undersold." That is I think, based on my (possibly incorrect) feelings and some feedback from people who have read these stories, that I could have sold them to higher-tier markets. Unfortunately when I started subbing my stories I didn't have a method, least not a "work your way down" method.

I would like to put them out there again in some nice upper tier markets. So I went on Duotrope and did a search with reprints and pro payment in the search criteria and came up with a TINY handful of hits. Most of these didn't look quite right for the particular pieces.

So I guess maybe pro-payment isn't the right criteria, but I am after literary fiction journals that are reputable (even prestigious) and take reprints. Any suggestions?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The most prestigious literary magazines have a huge choice of work to choose from. Much of that work is likely to be of a very high standard, and previously unpublished.

You're unlikely to find a prestigious market willing to take reprints. Your best route forward would be to write more good stuff, and concentrate on getting that published.

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
The most prestigious literary magazines have a huge choice of work to choose from. Much of that work is likely to be of a very high standard, and previously unpublished.

You're unlikely to find a prestigious market willing to take reprints. Your best route forward would be to write more good stuff, and concentrate on getting that published.

Ah okay, that's why my search generated a tiny handful of hits.. so you're basically saying prestige and taking reprints are mutually exclusive?

Certainly some reputable or decent (if not prestigious) journals seem to accept them.

I'm happily writing new stuff and sending it out, just thought it would be nice if these particular pieces could be seen by more people.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Most audio markets take reprints and they have pro payment.
Other than that, you could put them on Kindle. Being published they might seem more attractive to the buyers than the dreck this market is filled with.

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
Most audio markets take reprints and they have pro payment.
Other than that, you could put them on Kindle. Being published they might seem more attractive to the buyers than the dreck this market is filled with.

Thanks Goldmund. Those are great ideas!

I haven't serious considered publishing to kindle because of the aforementioned "dreck" factor, but if they are already published it kind of doesn't matter - and some $ would be a nice bonus.