• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kate Hordern Literary Agency

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Looking over their webpage, this concerns me:
Please consider carefully whether your submission is ready to be perused by an agent. Aspiring authors may obtain information, editorial advice and assessment, before contacting agents, from the following sources:

It then goes on to list several editorial services. Why should they care if your ms is professionally edited or not?

Edit: apologies, I did not research the recommended services as I should have. Others have chimed in to point out that they are perfectly legit services, and it says nothing bad about this agent that the site links to them.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Probably because they've seen too many manuscripts that were in poor shape.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Probably because they've seen too many manuscripts that were in poor shape.

Telling authors to have others read their work before submitting and to only send their best work is one thing. Advertising a specific paid service is another. Plus, one of those recommendations is for an author submission service. That doesn't sit right with me.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that such services are viewed differently in the UK than they are in the US. To whit, there isn't nearly the aversion to them o'er there that we have here.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
All three of the Lit services mentioned are completely legit and there are *no* red flags at all regarding their mentioning there as far as I'm concerned. It's the equivalent to going to Random House's website and finding them saying "You probably need an agent. Fine Print Literary and The Andrew Wylie agency are worth looking at". As Caopax says, it's not a weird thing in the UK (unless, naturally, they were promoting a dodgy service, or their own).

I can't tell you anything more other than I've physically seen a couple of Will Randall's books somewhere (probably my local library).

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Thanks for the info. I'm sorry if I jumped too quick. I thought manuscript submission services were an unneeded expense regardless of the country. Guess I'm still learning.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
I used to work for Kate, she's a good agent with great contacts in the industry. They're a very small agency and she's interested mostly in historical / women's fiction, but every submission gets read, I can promise you that

Martina

Registered
Reaction score
I used to work for Kate, she's a good agent with great contacts in the industry. They're a very small agency and she's interested mostly in historical / women's fiction, but every submission gets read, I can promise you that

My novel is historical and also explores female identity. It is good to hear that every submission gets read. According to the website the agency is based in Bristol. Most of the agencies in UK are based in London or Edinburg. Is the location an important factor to consider?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Provided they know people in publishing and go to London to meet up with them location is not important.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
With so much done electronically nowadays I wouldn't worry about location of the office. It's in Bristol simply because that's where Kate lives with her family

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Keep in mind that such services are viewed differently in the UK than they are in the US. To whit, there isn't nearly the aversion to them o'er there that we have here.

This. I was just going to say, it's more common in the UK than in the US, where it's considered a waste of time and money.

PS, my agent is in Colorado, down the street from another big-name agency (and they are friends). There are a few giant agencies in San Fran and San Diego, CA. In the digital age, it really doesn't matter anymore.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody had any interactions with this agency recently? Know what their stance on Fantasy (mix) MSs is?

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Guessing they're not interested in Fantasy, since I got my one-line R 29/10/14 on a query sent 9/8/14. Much quicker than the six months they [have said] say on the site, though!