• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Curiosity Quills Press

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
You might be right. It just seemed strange to say that though they loved the (unspecified) characters what they thought let the story down was the plot development. Can you know much about the plot development after 20 pages of a 300 page novel? Maybe it was just strange phrasing and they meant it was slow starting.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a pretty standard level of vague/specificity for a short personalized rejection. Editors and agents like buzz phrases because they do have a lot to go through and going through subs is not their main job. My guess would be that if you had remembered which novel it was, you wouldn't have thought anything of the fact that the editor said she liked the characters without specifying names. (Incidentally, I read whole novels and go to review them right afterwards, and can't remember anyone's names or how to spell them, so then I have to take time to look back at the story to remind myself. Using specifics might mean risking an author freaking out because the details mentioned were wrong)

It's a very good rejection. Having characters that an editor loves is a high compliment. Either she didn't like your pacing or she didn't feel like the plot was going to develop in a way that she would like, based on the 20 pages. You can absolutely suspect that from the first 20 pages, and can definitely know if you didn't like the pacing.

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
Sounds sensible. I'll take it as a positive sign then. In the latest version the action is ramped up a notch so maybe I was already conscious that the beginning was too long-winded.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yesterday I got the cover for my upcoming CQP release.

O. M. G.

It is gorgeous. The only people who have seen it are me, my agent, the publisher, the artist (duh) and my students.

We all agree it is FANTASTIC.

Cover reveal Jan. 27 on YA Books Central!

inkflamewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone!

I lurk on here from time to time, and I thought I'd take a look to see what updates had been made about CQP since the very beginning, since I was considering them for when I (finally) have a manuscript to send out.

Overall, I like how it looks, though I'm a bit confused about a couple of things and wondered if anyone else noticed and/or can clarify.

First, there's a "participate" section that's essentially just a calendar with launch dates and Goodreads links. How does that allow me to "make my voice heard", as they put it? Might they be intending on adding more to this later?

Also, is it normal for small publishers to have links to series that don't even have covers yet? Take a look at the series page to see what I mean.

Finally, they have a section for submission guidelines under "authors and bloggers" that only refer to author submissions. Does anyone know anything about the bloggers on there, or have been one? I blog as well, so I'm always curious about things like that.

I apologize if anyone thinks I'm being nitpicky, as I've seen some very good things earlier on in the thread. It does seem like they're doing well and many people seem happy with them, I just can't help but ask questions!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Also, is it normal for small publishers to have links to series that don't even have covers yet? Take a look at the series page to see what I mean.

I don't know about your other questions, but this part is quite normal. CQP will have contracted the books, and possibly received the manuscripts (or at least received outlines), but edits, back cover copy and cover design haven't happen yet.

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
The series thing is normal -- they contract but haven't yet finished (or revealed) the cover art.

Not exactly sure what the participate thing is, except I am pretty sure CQ organizes their own blog tours for their books, so it might have something to do with that.

They may still be putting things onto the site, or taking things out. They went through a complete rebrand/redesign and the site says Beta still, so I think there is still some tweaking going on.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's beautiful! I hope to see it in you av soon :D

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It's lovely...but I gotta wonder how well it's going to translate into thumbnail. The title text seems to get lost a bit even at large reveal size. Fortunately, the corset-n-gears motifs should flag down all of us steampunk fans for a closer look.

May you have many sales!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Nice!!! I love the full wrap, the spine is gorgeous!

Also, just thought I'd post that some CQ paperbacks are available on Chapters/Indigo's website (Canada's B&N equivalent). They weren't just a while ago, so this is progress for us Canadians who aren't ebook fans.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Christine, that is gorgeous! I'm totally one for judging books by covers (hehe), and the cover makes me even more eager to read. I didn't realise it was steampunk-y. *squees* Can't wait 'til it's out.
Also, thumbs up to Curiosity Quills for making a steampunk cover more intricate than the usual pretty-girl-with-cogs.

genericnamehere

Registered
Reaction score
CQ

CQ was nothing but professional when I dealt with them. Quick to reply, excited about my MS, though it wasn't for them in the long run. Great covers and active on social media.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I now have 2 books with CQ. I love them. They have been professional, quick to answer any and every concern and question. I LOVE my covers...they're both in my signature--Burn Baby Burn Baby and Half Dead & Fully Broken. It has been an excellent experience. I'd consider myself lucky to have book #3 placed with them. (-:

tyrthunder

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted my manuscript and was asked for the full within a matter of hours.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'd really love to be part of this publisher. I'm a fan of their books and I like their approach!

Congrats to all of you who have been signed!

Cross your fingers, toes and eyes for me!! :)

BinaryCat

Quiet lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisdubecki.com
First, I just wanted to say that this site's been a treasure trove of information when it comes to agent and publisher research.

I got Curiosity Quills' attention during Wednesday the 11th's #pitmad event, and they just requested my full MS an hour ago (new adult/adult urban fantasy). I'm bloody excited (and anxious as all hell).

I'm unagented as of yet. But now I'll be gnawing my fingers off in anticipation/dread until I hear back, I think.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I got a #PitMad favourite from them too. I just came on to check them out.

Well done on your full request!

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
I got a #Pitmad fave from them, too. Have subbed the same MS from a request before (so obviously the concept appeals to them) but was rejected on partial, but having significantly reshaped the beginning few chapters in the last couple of months, I think I might take them up on the rerequest and see what they think. 'Specially since they've grown/matured so much since last year.

tyrthunder

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even realise #pitmad was a thing! If it's a no-go (I was told I'll know in 2 weeks -- 9 days to go!), then I might have a look at that! The responses and concepts all seem really good!

Are there many success stories from the Twitter thing?

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I didn't even realise #pitmad was a thing! If it's a no-go (I was told I'll know in 2 weeks -- 9 days to go!), then I might have a look at that! The responses and concepts all seem really good!

Are there many success stories from the Twitter thing?

Please don't take this the wrong way but I see from your earlier post you're new to subbing, and it sounds like you're days-counting (I used to, and it's madly stressful) - CQ have had my full for about four weeks now (which is fine, btw, subbing is a slow business) and haven't yet responded. So, two weeks might be a bit optimistic. Maybe try to extend that expectation in your mind and then you won't be disappointed if it's missed - and you'll have a bonus if it's met! :)