Jewish Guide to Middle-Earth

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
I also would not publish any part of it on line...

I'm a bit late to the game here, and IANAL - but I thought that if you didn't profit from it and they couldn't show a loss, the copyright holder would have no legal grounds to sue you on.
I realize that doesn't mean that they couldn't make your life miserable for quite a while.
It is a shame, your concept sounds like a fun idea.

Deleted member 42

I'm a bit late to the game here, and IANAL - but I thought that if you didn't profit from it and they couldn't show a loss, the copyright holder would have no legal grounds to sue you on.

They absolutely totally would, and they can hire all the lawyers they want.

There's nothing in the statutes that specifies the infringer has to make a dime.

Last edited by a moderator:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Your legal defense is "fair use", as a parodical treatment. Which by no means protects you from being sued. As they have already told you they won't grant permission, I think you'd be well served to write something else, or make your work more generic, not specifically tied by reference to Tolkien's work.

caw

ASC McLaren

Intended for mature audiences
Registered
Reaction score
Your book sounds very interesting. As I understand it, the dwarves in The Hobbit and LoTR are an allegory for the way Tolkien perceived plight of the Jews.

MrTed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.locksmiths-of-islington.co.uk
I'm honestly gutted as this sounds really interesting. I've got jewish relatives and I'm trying to understand a lot more about my past. Would've loved to have read it mixed with great pop culture. Guessing this never got released?