Virus/Malware Removal Guide for Windows

Brian12

Computer Security Enthusiast
Registered
Reaction score
Virus/Malware Removal Guide

Hi everyone,

I would like to share my malware removal guide with the forum community. It contains step by step instructions on how to remove malware from a computer. It's a work in progress. I would appreciate any feedback. :)

Guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide/

This guide will help you remove malicious software from your computer. If you think your computer might be infected with a virus or trojan, you may want to use this guide. It provides step-by-step instructions on how to remove malware from Windows operating system. It highlights free malware removal tools and resources that are necessary to clean your computer. You will quickly learn how to remove a virus, a rootkit, spyware, and other malware.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hang on a few moments - we're just going to go take a look at the guide itself and come back with a decision!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The decision has been made to let your link stay.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Thanks, AC, and thanks for your patience, Brian. We try hard to be careful and protect our members.

Brian12

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both very much.

bernster

Registered
Reaction score
Depending on how sophisticated the virus is, virus clean-up might work, it might not. Best is not to get one in the first place. I've never used antivirus s/w and I've never gotten a virus. Keep windows update up to date all the time. Be very very careful about downloading .exe's. And keep your teenage kids off your pc.

Brian12

Registered
Reaction score
Update:

- Added a last updated date
- Revised the introduction
- Replaced FixNCR.reg with RKill
- Moved Safe Mode to the Preparation section
- Removed aswMBR
- Updated the PDF version

Hi bernster,

I couldn't agree with you more. ;)

Last edited:

Brian12

Registered
Reaction score
Update:

- Revised introduction
- Changed Step 3 (Added ESET)
- Removed note about the Internet connection
- Replaced Exehelper with FixExe.reg
- Added instructions on how to clear the Java cache (Fix Post-Disinfection Problems)
- Updated download links
- Updated file sizes

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Depending on how sophisticated the virus is, virus clean-up might work, it might not. Best is not to get one in the first place. I've never used antivirus s/w and I've never gotten a virus. Keep windows update up to date all the time. Be very very careful about downloading .exe's. And keep your teenage kids off your pc.

Do you scan your computer? There are many viruses that you can have, and spread, without ever knowing it, unless you scan.

And you can pick up some pretty nasty things just by visiting the wrong website. Some of these sites are writing related. Windows update isn't full protection, and neither is avoiding .exe's.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
The best protection I know of are regular image backups of your hard drive(s) in conjunction with file backups of your documents etc. If you get infected you can roll right back to an image before that happened and restore the docs from your file backup.

And James is absolutely right. Even the websites you trust can get hacked and become a vector for viruses and other nasties. Common sense will get you a long way, but you can still get infected.