• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Montag Press Collective

MikeBWriter

Registered
Reaction score
montag press (merged into BR&BC thread)

Does anybody know anything about Montag Press? I was thinking about submitting my YA novel to them.
They want a full mss.
Just trying to find out if it would be worth trying.

Michaël Wertenberg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
My ms has received interest from Montag Press.
Has anyone here had any interaction with them?

Before I sign, I'd like to hear some testimonials from other authors.

Thanks

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Did you read through this thread first? Because unless they've changed how they operate, they don't seem like a good choice for anyone.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Read the whole thread before you say yes to them.

In general terms, publishers 'express interest' only when authors query them. Or occasionally when publishers (usually dicey ones) troll blogs and writing display sites.

This is why it's so important for authors to research publishers *before* querying or responding to their overtures.

Last edited:

Michaël Wertenberg

Registered
Reaction score
The thread is 5 and a half years old. I didn't see anything that caused me concern. I have reached out to some of their authors to get a feel for how happy they are with them as a publisher ...

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The thread is 5 and a half years old. I didn't see anything that caused me concern. I have reached out to some of their authors to get a feel for how happy they are with them as a publisher ...

You didn't see any problem with an under-capitalized publisher siphoning off your royalties to pay their operating costs? Okay then.

Filigree's Rule illustrated.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts as much of an update, but I just got an "offer" from these guys. Still 30% net to the author, and they own it for ten years. I politely (meaning writing with gritted teeth) declined.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted back in April without doing my due diligence as usual. I only found this thread after getting the offer last week. When I didn't reply immediately they texted me, tried to call me and used the contact form on my web page, so more than a bit insistent I'd say, so I dont feel like I'm missing a great opportunity by declining it. I'll share the text of the offer with anyone who wants.

Afalstein

Registered
Reaction score
Website
afalsteinjdkloosterman.wordpress.com
Montag Press

These guys seem to be hit-and-miss. When I got a book offer from them last year, I checked them out and emailed some of the authors, most of whom were pretty happy with the services rendered (though they said it was what you'd expect from a small publishing house.) So certainly they had some happy clients. But another person said she'd received many complaints from other writers about how they would hold manuscripts hostage and force authors to pay high rates to get out of binding contracts.

Well, I signed the contract and was introduced to one of their editors, who assured me how excited he was to start working on the project "as soon as I'm finished with these other three books I'm editing." In the meantime, he suggested I look through the manuscript and made sure it was in as perfect form as it could be before he took a look at it.

That was a year ago. I have literally not heard a word from him since. I haven't attempted to contact him, because I'm not interested in working with an agent who's either forgotten about my book or is just himself waiting for me to do his editing work for him. My book is locked up with them for the next ten years, but I'm not super crushed about that--I couldn't get any other agents interested in it anyway.

But they're very suspect. Avoid them.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion about them here. Throws up a sea of red flags.

What's the specific wording of your contract? Has the publisher violated it? I'd check that. You might be able to get your book back.

Also, remember that editor and agent are completely different jobs. If the people at the press are using those terms interchangeably then there's yet another red flag for you.

Last edited: