Good Manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowball2695

Registered
Reaction score
I need something to read!
I've been so bored recently after I caught up on Kasamiki Koto.
Anyone know some good Manga I can read to pass the time? It doesn't really matter what it is, I just need something.
ANYTHING!

Chiron

Registered
Reaction score
I recommend "Berserk", but also advise you to have a fairly strong stomach.

Question

Soon I will be invincible
Registered
Reaction score
Fine!
All my friends have been recommending it, but I've never really bothered.
Guess I probably should.

You need a REALLY strong stomach. I'm going to recommend two of the big three, One Piece and Naruto. Not Bleach, that goes downhill so you'll probably be disappointed after a while. One Piece takes quite a while to get good but when it does get good it becomes clear why it's the number one manga in Japan. I watched the crappy anime when I was younger and it took my friend two years to talk me into giving it a try. Now I'm a huge fan. Seriously, keep reading til the Arlong Arc. It just keeps going uphill from there (there are sooo many Crowning Moments of Awesome) :) Naruto isn't mindblowing or anything, but it's consistently interesting.

soopykun

Registered
Reaction score
Basara, Mars, Blue Exorcist, Bakuman, Rurouni Kenshin, Yakitate Japan, Immortal Rain, Moribito, Battle Royale, Negima, Honey and Clover, Fullmetal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, Basilisk, Pluto, Monster, 20th Century Boys, Yotsuba...it really depends if you prefer shounen or shoujo, though. Or seinen or even josei.

memoriadeclarativa

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my completed/dropped manga are romance, or have romance subplots.

I used to spend big hours reading manga, but right now I'm just following three:
1. Beelzebub
2. Baby Steps
3. Ocha ni Gosu

Plus one webtoon:
1. Girl the Wild's

They are light-hearted. I get a comfortable feel reading these titles.

Chiron

Registered
Reaction score
Basara, Mars, Blue Exorcist, Bakuman, Rurouni Kenshin, Yakitate Japan, Immortal Rain, Moribito, Battle Royale, Negima, Honey and Clover, Fullmetal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, Basilisk, Pluto, Monster, 20th Century Boys, Yotsuba...it really depends if you prefer shounen or shoujo, though. Or seinen or even josei.

You have just reminded me how out of date my manga knowledge is! I know such a small handful of those titles.

soopykun

Registered
Reaction score
You have just reminded me how out of date my manga knowledge is! I know such a small handful of those titles.

Actually, I haven't read any new manga for about a year now. Any of the older ones are my recs; anything remotely current is what my husband and and my kids are enjoying at the moment :)

NecoFin

Registered
Reaction score
If you like light-hearted love stories, you could try Kaichou wa Maid-sama. +_+

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com

Clicked on the thread to recommend Pluto, Monster, and especially 20th Century Boys! Beaten to the punch.

The beginning of Gantz is all right, but I felt it grew tiresome after some time.

DeathNote is interesting.

FLCL is hilarious (and short, both in Manga form and Anime)

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Death Note is great until a certain character's death. You'll know when you get there... I suppose it's kind of a thriller?

I ADORE Fullmetal Alchemist. Action, angst, comedy, all around interesting plot.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Ghost In The Shell, Crying Freeman (highly recommended), Doraemon... I also tell people to pick up Akira way too much, and everyone has probably read that these days anyway. Oh, Fist Of The North Star as well.

RoughDraft

Amateur Tale-Smith
Registered
Reaction score
Berserk is awesome.

Is it gory and graphic? Yes. Does it deal with some horrific and dark issues? Of course. Is it still worth a read?

You bet your ass.

Gutts is pretty much the Byronic hero personified. His personal history is so dark and tormented you almost want to give him a hug, except you know that would be a horrible, horrible thing to do.

It's a fantasy manga, but the fantasy elements are used more as setting rather than plot elements, like in say Lord of the Rings or your generic fantasy story.

It has a very complicated plot, all of it driven by character motivations at cross-purposes trying to feed their own ambitions and desires.

It is honestly in my top 3 favorite stories of all time.

Clicked on the thread to recommend Pluto, Monster, and especially 20th Century Boys! Beaten to the punch.

They're all fantastic, but at the same time, they are all sooooo sloooooow. Not to say that they aren't worth the overall story-arc, if you can handle the slow moments.

Seriously, the ending to Monster? I have never felt more sympathetic and practically heartbroken about any character like I have Dr. Tenma. Seriously, brought a tear to my eye.

20th Century Boys is a book that goes on forever and then just when you think it's about done, you realize you still have another three storylines to read. They're all tied together so wonderfully though and the character that "Takes a Level in Badass" is fantastic.

Pluto was my least favorite of the three, but I should probably reread it. Can hardly remember it now.

The beginning of Gantz is all right, but I felt it grew tiresome after some time.

I was so disappointed by Gantz. The original story idea was great, they just ran with it waaaay too long and kept throwing in really creepy weird sex shit. It is hilarious the random ways the artist will do his best to get some tits into every issue.

DeathNote is interesting.

The complicated traps and plots the protagonist/antagonist set up for each other are simply brilliant. A great example of two chessmasters dueling for superiority.

ClarissaJohal

Don't talk to me while I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.clarissajohal.com
Death Note by Tsugumi Ohba and artist Takeshi Obata, hands down. A double thumbs up from my 12-year-old manga obsessed daughter. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Saiyuki and Saiyuki Reload

Blood +

Diabolo (more angst than you can shake a stick at, but I lurve it)

Adding another vote to Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist, and agreeing that Bleach goes downhill :(.

Also agree about Death Note going downhill after the death of a certain character :(.

Speaking of angst, you can't beat Vampire Knight. Oh, the scenery-chewing! So much fun, tho, for the most part.

ETA: Descendants of Darkness. Caveat: the author injects some odd humor into what starts out as dark and angsty. I ended up unsatisfied after the 11th vol. (AFAIK, the last)

Last edited:

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I *beilieve* Descendants of Darkness recently restarted in Japan. No idea though if that'll ever get brought over here (and honestly, I find it hard to get into the new chapters from what I've seen. It's just been too long :( )

ETA: If you want to be kept busy for a loooooong time, I second One Piece. I personally found it preferable to its two closest brethren, Bleach and Naruto, as far as overall narrative consistency and character development. (Though I too would put Naruto above Bleach - It has its problems, some of them pretty big, but it also maintains a consistency so if you like the first handful of volumes you'll probably continue to like it)

Last edited:

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Petshop of Horrors (Matsuri Akino), Hana Kimi (Hisaya Nakajo), and Rosario+Vampire (Akihisa Ikeda) are some of my favorites.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My top three:

Lone Wolf and Cub - dark, literary, violent, disturbing, historical
Fruits Basket - feel-good teeny-bopper romance and angst
Kare Kano - cute, occasionally dark but mostly sweet romance

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Lone Wolf and Cub - dark, literary, violent, disturbing, historical

If possible, I advise people to steer clear of the digest collections and look for the oversized editions - such beautiful artwork deserves to sprawl across the page rather than be squinted at.

missouridalton

Propoganda wrapped up in a scarf.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
missouridalton.blogspot.com
I can't believe no one has mentioned Nastume Youjin Chou. *Natsume and the Book of Friends. It's is very good.

I'm also going to recommend an old one, Les Bijoux.

Host Club was delightful, I echo FMA is awesome. There's also a Manwha called 1/2 Prince that is hilarious and weird with romance, the only other recommendation I can make is Ghost Hunt. A warning about that one though, the only way to get the last volume (at the moment) is online.

Seth?

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and about Death Note, I am going to be REALLY lame here (and go against almost every DN fan...) and say that the character some people are speaking of was definitely in my list of least favorite characters. IMO the series was still really good after that point. :Shrug: It was realistic that that character died. Fit the story you know what I mean?

That was off topic. Anyway I would recommend it. :D

-Seth

RoughDraft

Amateur Tale-Smith
Registered
Reaction score
I never understood all the love for Soul Reaper. I watched part of it with my roommate and while there were some funny moments, it seemed pretty lackluster to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.