Can great writing really exist without Eric Cartman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
*puts South Park in the same bin as Eraserhead as something bearilou just. didn't. get.*

really? I made my mom watch it once. Think English lady of the WWII generation. She kept saying 'what is this?' - until the crab-people came out. (Mom might be an outlier. Jackass made her laugh.)

But we could all have done without King of the Hill...

QFT!

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Funny, the Great Expectations episode of South Park was one of the least watched episodes in the history of the franchise, probably because most people in their demo just didn't have the source material read to make it funny.

I watched it in a Victorian Adaptations honors course. I much prefer the robot monkeys.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
*puts South Park in the same bin as Eraserhead as something bearilou just. didn't. get.*

That's all right. As long as you like Barton Fink, you can still claim to be a kool intellectual.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Funny, the Great Expectations episode of South Park was one of the least watched episodes in the history of the franchise, probably because most people in their demo just didn't have the source material read to make it funny.

I thought it was just that everyone hated Pip. He's hated by all the kids at school, and most of the fans. Unlike Butters, who is supposed to be very uncool at school, but he's everyone's favorite character.

"Pip" made Trey & Matt's list of the worst South Park episodes ever.

IMO, the very best episodes of South Park:

1) Imagination Land
2) Go, God, Go
3) Margaritaville
4) Overlogging
5) Coon2: Hindsight/Mysterion Rises/Coon vs. Coon & Friends

The last one is a 3 parter.

Andrea_James

Registered
Reaction score
Peruvian panpipes. "It's so cultural." Yeah, that probably wasn't Cartman, but it should have been.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I thought it was just that everyone hated Pip. He's hated by all the kids at school, and most of the fans. Unlike Butters, who is supposed to be very uncool at school, but he's everyone's favorite character.

"Pip" made Trey & Matt's list of the worst South Park episodes ever.

IMO, the very best episodes of South Park:

1) Imagination Land
2) Go, God, Go
3) Margaritaville
4) Overlogging
5) Coon2: Hindsight/Mysterion Rises/Coon vs. Coon & Friends

The last one is a 3 parter.

Excellent choices. I shall add

The Passion of the Jew

You're Getting Old/ Ass Burgers

Sexual Harassment Panda

The Crack Baby Athletic Association

(plus Fishsticks, Chicken Lover, Die, Hippie, Die and of the course my all time favourite
The Red Badge of Gayness, (Civil War ep)

Last edited:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Can great writing exist without an antagonist?

Yes! The antagonist could be the social setting, the times they live in, the restraints of that society. The main character can be her/his own antagonist... could be a whale... when it comes to the possibilities of just what the antagonist is within any particular piece of writing the possibilities are endless!

*and I agree, I had to research the OP's wording to understand the premise of the question (having never heard of Eric Cartman) and now, knowing what the name represents I'm quite annoyed that I spent the time I did looking...

There went a few minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.