How to get your book noticed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Book review bloggers can give you some exposure and name recognition. I've not yet bought a book that was recommended in this way, but I have picked up several in the library because the cover and title were in a recent review--which in turn moved me to pick up the book and read a few pages to see if I might like it.

Amazon reader reviews can be influential as well: I've bought a number of books based on multiple (high) recommendations.

JDKinman

Trying to learn new tricks
Registered
Reaction score
There's probably no way at all to know, but do blog reviews lead to sales? Or just warm-fuzzy feelings that someone is noticing your work? :Shrug:

If the blog is topic-focused, such as say. . . a cooking blog and you wrote a cookbook, then you can get a review AND some probable sales.

A friend of mine writes historical military fiction and co-ops with several bloggers who concentrate on WWII, Korean and recently, Vietnam war history subjects.

It's a natural match. The blogs review his books, he offers promotions to the blogs' readers (one month it was a free Kindle, another month it was a complete set of Time Warner DVDs on WWII in the Pacific).

Together, they all continue to build very loyal, very consistent readers--so much so that one of the blogs has now been approached by a significant advertiser.

Nothing wrong with review sites, but with the sheer number of blogs out there that are specialized, you might think about hooking up with some that have subject content that is related to the subject content in your book/s.

In return, you can always plug those blogs in your next book or on your own blog/website.

harriet47

journo turned novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
harrietschultz.blogspot.com
446 book review blogs...OMG

Sorry for the "OMG," but that was my first thought when I saw that the MEME you linked to has 446 entries. It's great to have this kind of list since, as you said, they're all "live," so thank you for sharing. But when I think about how long it would take to check each one to find out if they review your book's genre...well. It's daunting.

My book (paperback and all e-versions) has been well-reviewed by a number of bloggers, but I'm disappointed that these reviews (mostly 5 stars) have minimal impact on sales.

Other than offering my book for free, which helps to shoot your title to the top of Amazon's list, what else can I do? I don't think the freebie is effective until you have a second book that people can buy if they enjoy the first.

Advice???

Harriet

"Here's the lastest edition of this meme. It's held every week, so at least you now know that these websites are active. But that doesn't necessarily mean they'll review your genre."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.