So, how do you celebrate that 'final' draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
me, I'm old-fashioned.

A bottle of good* wine, some cheese, a small selection of cold cuts...

* reasonably good ($30), the champers comes with publication

Reaction score
I don't, really. I just get straight on with the editing. I enjoy certain parts of the process, I won't deny that. But celebrating seems a bit much because I've done it so many times before.

I celebrate the first time I take another step up the ladder. The first time I finished a novel I knew would be published. First cover art, first contract, first contract with a new publisher, first time I sold a book before it was written, that kind of thing.

Usually it's by buying myself a new DVD and some munchies, sitting home, watching the movie, stuffing my face, and feeling smug about what I've achieved. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I celebrate when the check for the final draft clears the bank.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Which final draft? The one I sent to my agent, the one I did after getting notes from an editor or the next one I'll do when I'm signed and they want more changes?

This is one of those rare cases where I'm with James. I'll celebrate when the cheque clears.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Which final draft? The one I sent to my agent, the one I did after getting notes from an editor or the next one I'll do when I'm signed and they want more changes?

This is one of those rare cases where I'm with James. I'll celebrate when the cheque clears.
ok, ok.

The one you send to your agent.

look, it's a big deal ok? for me.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Ah, Paul, people are roughing you up a bit here, I see! I think because for many of us, the "final draft" isn't really the end of the game, but The Little Beyond Maybe Halfway Point (If We're Lucky) part of the game. For me, the "final draft" still doesn't feel final -- even though I'm thrilled to have the darn thing done -- because now it goes off for edits and proofing and clearances and so on, which are all just as exhausting, if not more so, than getting to that final draft. For me, then, the time to finally celebrate is when I've got the hardcover in my hands.

But I think I take your point: I *think* you want to know how people celebrate when they get to the end of whatever their particular process might be --- whether that's finally having the hardcover in their hands, or cashing the check, or whatever. You wanna know what we do when it feels like it's done. Me, I go out for a quiet dinner with my wife and daughter and we all get to order whatever the hell we want. And then it's back to work on the next proposal.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect the first final draft a writer finishes probably is a big deal. I didn't have time to celebrate the first final draft I wrote. I had to write the book in a month, and it had to reach an agent in time for her to get it to a publisher within a week after that.

I actually wrote the book in three weeks, and all I wanted to do after that was sleep. And sleep. And sleep some more.

The book was published pretty fast, and I spent the time between handing in the book and its actual publication writing mostly short stuff to bring in money. When it did hit the stores, I had about ten minutes of "Ain't this cool" before I realized all it really meant was that I needed to sit down and start from scratch, do it all over again.

Sure enough, my agent called about two weeks later and said the publisher wanted a sequel.

Anyway, congratulations on finishing the final draft. It's a good thing, and you're right to celebrate. I just think that most writers who have been at it for a time realize there's often a big gap between final draft and actually selling a book, and that what a final draft really means is that it's time to sit down and start another first draft.

I don't mean any of this to sound like a downer. I'm a writer, and it's a life I enjoy greatly. There is a feeling of satisfaction when a new book sells, or when a short story or article finds a home at a magazine I've never sold to. I truly enjoy the process of writing, but it's the life writing allows me to live that I love most of all.

As much as I enjoy writing, and I do enjoy it greatly or I wouldn't write another word, the things I really celebrate are pretty much all outside of writing. A daughter-in-law brought my fourth grandchild into the world at 12:20 A. M. Tuesday morning. Writing allowed me to be there, but a Nobel Prize wouldn't be as much cause for celebration as that grandchild.

Writing is what I do, and it's a great way to live, but it isn't my life, and is far down the list of things I care about most.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I didn't really celebrate my final draft, partially because I was exhausted, partially because it didn't really feel 'done' [with good reason; after a couple months I realized it was only the second-to-final draft, at best]. But I really do want to celebrate my work-- when I get an agent, for one, I'll probably get champagne! [well, all right, sparkling Califonia wine ;P]... and when it's accepted for publication, similar, then when it's OUT-- I hate parties but I might go and have a party!!

I think it's worth celebrating whatever is meaningful to you to celebrate, and wine and cheese sounds just brilliant for that, to me!

Words.Worth

Registered
Reaction score
me, I'm old-fashioned.

A bottle of good* wine, some cheese, a small selection of cold cuts...

* reasonably good ($30), the champers comes with publication

^^and plus I do something more

BjornAbust

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations on your fourth grandchild, James!

For me, finishing a final draft is a big deal. For many years, I've been the sort of writer who struggles to finish anything longer than a short story. In this respect, finishing a novella-length piece or something longer, even if it isn't perfect, is quite an achievement. I don't go wild or anything, but I take a shot of good whiskey upon completion of such a draft. I may also allow myself a day or two of rest; spend more time with my wife and kids, or maybe even visit a nice restaurant for a meal with them. I haven't made any major sales as of yet, but I expect that when I do (because I will someday, damn it!) I'll celebrate a bit more thoughtfully.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I actually think finishing a first draft - for a novel, at least - is reason to celebrate. Hubby and will indulge in a nice bottle of wine when the first draft is done. Yes, there's a lot more work to do, but for me, the first draft is the biggest struggle. The first draft is the foundation and is the hardest to build.

If and when the book sells, that's cause to crack open the champers.

If I ever get to the point when I can give up the day job - that wil be a cause for a significant celebration.

Shara

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I finish and am ready to submit a story of any length, hubby promised to take me out to dinner.

Poor bastard didn't think that one out too far. He's all ready behind. :ROFL:

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
My big reward for finishing a final draft is my husband bringing home take-out. One night off cooking. Yep, it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.