Not open for further replies.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I need to look, and I might be mistaken.
In France, there has been so many discussions about this, and it is only in the past few weeks that it is possible to get e-books that can be used on different readers.
In Norway, I believe it is impossible to buy an e-book that is supported by kindle. Some publishers use the adobe rdm(?I am not sure if this is the correct name) that can be read either only on the computer, or with a special application for iPad or iPhone.
In Switzerland, e-books have to be bought in the language wanted by the reader from neighbouring countries.

Ah, I see the problem here. You're talking about DRM - digital rights management software - which is something that is added to the file. Two ebook readers might use exactly the same file format, but different DRM systems - that way, they can't read each other's files.

Lexxie

Avid reader and lover of fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
unconventionalbookviews.com
Torgo, I think what you said is right. And a couple of years ago, all the big publishing houses in France were supposed to agree on one or two e-book formats they would all use, so that people could decide on one 'reader' and be able to read books bought anywhere on them.

It took a long time for them to finally agree, and now, most books are both in pdf format and in epub format.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Torgo, I think what you said is right. And a couple of years ago, all the big publishing houses in France were supposed to agree on one or two e-book formats they would all use, so that people could decide on one 'reader' and be able to read books bought anywhere on them.

It took a long time for them to finally agree, and now, most books are both in pdf format and in epub format.

I think probably they have agreed to use Adobe DRM on epubs and PDFs, in that case. Is the Kindle in France yet? I doubt that Amazon would sign up to that.

Lexxie

Avid reader and lover of fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
unconventionalbookviews.com
I think probably they have agreed to use Adobe DRM on epubs and PDFs, in that case. Is the Kindle in France yet? I doubt that Amazon would sign up to that.

Yes, there is kindle in France, and just recently it became possible to buy French books for kindle. For the time being, it is impossible to use the kindle for the other e-book formats that are sold in France (and I believe this is the same for Norway).

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
For the time being, it is impossible to use the kindle for the other e-book formats that are sold in France (and I believe this is the same for Norway).

And it is the same for the rest of the world. Kindles don't read anything other than their own .mobi and .azw formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.