Received A Letter Today

JBReed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorjbreed.yolasite.com
Well, I received a letter today from non other than Mr. Victor E Cretella III, himself. He stated that he was "directed" as the "attorney"for Publish America to send me the letter to address my "wrongful behavior", specifically my publishing a number of false and disparging statements about PA on Absolute Write website. Among other things I called PA a scam. Mr. Cretella stated these statements are "actionable as defamation and should be removed from the internet now". The letter went on to quote legal cases and ending with the case of David Kuzminski, owner of Preditors and Editors who was ordered to pay $53,000 in damages. Mr. Cretella used one of my website authors as an example, saying that his statements are non-existent, that he "manufactured them out of thin air. He also stated that another one of my author member's complaints were patently frivoulous and that her expectations were clearly unreasonable. This gentleman is clearly using intimidation tactics to get me to back off. He does not realize that I work in the legal field and know intimidation when I smell it. I phoned my attorney when I received the letter and faxed it to him. We welcome any litigation Mr. Cretella and PA wishes to bring. I am sure Mr. Cretella will know about this posting soon enough and that is fine. The fact that this company believes they can strong arm and otherwise intimidate people infuriates me and it's time more people take a stand. I shall continue to post here as long as AW will permit me to do so and I will continue to post on my personal website as well as my website for authors, the Eclectic Authors Showcase. If they can have their minons spying on these websites they deserve to see what people think and know about their company. If I can save one writer from going through what I have gone through with this company it will be worth it. I was also notified by one of the authors who is joining me in the group effort to obtain our publishing rights back that he also received a "nasty letter" threating suit. I look forward to what a court of law will have to say when this company's tactics are brought to light.

Last edited:

twm

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, he spends a lot of time lurking here. I guess PA doesn't give him enough to do with his time.

Schilcote

Registered
Reaction score
Holy wall of text, man. I'm afraid I don't know what Publish America is, but good luck fighting them anyways. Just break your posts up into paragraphs next time :p

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The letter went on to quote legal cases and ending with the case of David Kuzminski, owner of Preditors and Editors who was ordered to pay $53,000 in damages.

I don't suppose he mentioned that that case had nothing to do with PublishAmerica. It was a personal complaint by Vic personally against Dave, for, if I recall correctly, suggesting that Vic personally is an unethical shyster.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
You should forward the email to Dave himself.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Wait, people call PA a scam on here all the time. What makes them send letters to this or that person and not the rest?

What would happen if they pushed the matter? "They're a scam because everyone on this message board says so" isn't exactly hard proof, so what could someone use to defend themselves?

twm

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hey Vic, if you are reading this, everyone knows your employer is a bunch of scuzz balls. Your threats just show how ethically challenged you are by working for them.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, people call PA a scam on here all the time. What makes them send letters to this or that person and not the rest?

I think it's accessibility to those people. I mean, the folks who have recieved letters are folks who are very open on the net - using their real names, links to their sites etc. Those people are easy to target. The folks who aren't so accessbile most likely will never hear a peep from PA.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Vic, if you are reading this, everyone knows your employer is a bunch of scuzz balls. Your threats just show how ethically challenged you are by working for them.
:)

JBReed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I received an e-mail from that wonderful PA attorney today telling me he had reviewed my new web site, http://theauthortrap.com and needs to send me a cease and desist letter! LOL

He said he had reason to believe I am represented by an attorney and needs to send the letter to him. I immediately sent a copy of the e-mail to the folks at Star Media. I am scheduled to record my segment with them tomorrow for their expose' on PA.

That wonderful PA attorney is targeting me instead of a big company because he believes an author would be more easily intimidated. WRONG!

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
I think it's accessibility to those people. I mean, the folks who have recieved letters are folks who are very open on the net - using their real names, links to their sites etc. Those people are easy to target. The folks who aren't so accessbile most likely will never hear a peep from PA.

I wish Vic would send me a C&D letter. I'm fresh out of toilet paper.... :wag:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
JBReed:
I received an e-mail from that wonderful PA attorney today telling me he had reviewed my new web site, http://theauthortrap.com/ and needs to send me a cease and desist letter! LOL

JBReed, your website looks to be down. Is it possible that Cretin Cretella decided to send the C&D to your host?

JBReed:
I immediately sent a copy of the e-mail to the folks at Star Media. I am scheduled to record my segment with them tomorrow for their expose' on PA.

Don't give out information like that here if it's something you're planning to do. PA and its minion monkeys keep tabs on this board and all you're doing is giving them a head's up to try and stop you - e.g. they could take out an injunction or serve a C&D on Star Media. If you report back on it afterwards, then there's less chance they can take action.

MM

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
MM

JB posted a second link in his original thread and it still works.

JBReed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yet another Nasty Gram

Received another nasty gram from our favorite attorney at PA. I have posted it on my website at www.theauthortrap.com.

I have been attempting to negotiate my publishing rights back as well as release of my contract. All negotiations stop today. You cannot negotiate with people like this.

As they say, the best revenge is a life well lived so I am continuing to write my new book and am also preparing to open an online magazine for the website www.eclectic-authors-showcase.com

Will let you know if any legal action is filed against me. Looking forward to it. Hear that Vic?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
You cannot negotiate with people like this.

Agreed. I just read that letter.

PA would like this matter to go to Court because it would serve as example for other authors to actually learn how the publishing industry works before making accusations.
If authors learned how the publishing industry worked, they'd be much less likely to sign up with scammers.

Nevertheless, PA might be willing to settle this matter and return your rights if you are truly willing to retract the false statements already published and refrain from doing so in the future.
How magnanimous. PA might... and then again, PA might not.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Did PA hire The Great & Powerful Trixie (from My Little Pony) to write that dribble?