take what I can get, I reckon

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
I got a hand-written rejection note in response to my novel (query only) today (from a small press). The editor indicated that the book leans a little too far toward commercial and away from literary. Anyway, at the end of the note, the editor wrote "P.S. Great title!"

That's...uh...something positive...right?

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I think so. Of course, I've never had a book rejection (because I just mailed my first manuscript today) but I've had a couple of magazine article rejections and the hand written one was the best. (I even framed it)
And I think it's nice that she wrote that comment about your title. A professional is telling you that you did a good job in choosing the title.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"a little too far toward commercial and away from literary"

So, let me make sure I got this straight . . . your novel got rejected because it was likely to sell too many copies?

caw.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think it boiled down to style. I knew going in that it would be a long shot. After reading a bit about the publisher, I knew that my manuscript was going to be considered maybe too mainstream and contemporary...but I figured what the heck I'll query. Oh well, no big deal. Nothing ventured.....

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection

blacbird said:
"a little too far toward commercial and away from literary"

So, let me make sure I got this straight . . . your novel got rejected because it was likely to sell too many copies?

caw.

That's certainly an interesting reason to reject a novel, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.