• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
It was a struggle, but I finally finished the chapter where the plague is beaten and my two characters find themselves as surviving it.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
My continuing quest to try and develop characters had lead to me despondently rolling my head back and forth across my keyboard.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
It was a struggle, but I finally finished the chapter where the plague is beaten and my two characters find themselves as surviving it.

This was done a bit too prematurely -- still writing the chapter, and trying to convince myself that I know how to write a sentence.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
Today I finished my second draft of my novella, so I'm waiting for my beta feedback to start draft three. Even small progress is progress! Hope everyone else is having a good day.

Banner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently writing my first draft of my first novel. It's a post-apocalyptic story with a scavenger as the protagonist, wandering about and doing stuff in different camps or towns. This will, of course, turn into something bigger but for now it's a secret.

What's funny is that the first ideas for this story -- and a few others I have in mind -- all originated in my middle school years. I didn't really like anyone back then, although that was mostly because i was a jerk. Anyway, I ended up getting alienated and kept escaping to an imagined world that may have been more fun than my everyday life. Three different worlds were created due to that. The post-apocalyptic one, which I'm trying to write first, a fantasy one and a sci-fi. I hope get around to bringing them to life on paper if I turn out to be any good at it. It's really a wonderful feeling when fantasies from your childish past begin gaining proper shape -- and by your hand, at that. Have you felt that way, too?

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I'm currently writing my first draft of my first novel. It's a post-apocalyptic story with a scavenger as the protagonist, wandering about and doing stuff in different camps or towns. This will, of course, turn into something bigger but for now it's a secret.

What's funny is that the first ideas for this story -- and a few others I have in mind -- all originated in my middle school years. I didn't really like anyone back then, although that was mostly because i was a jerk. Anyway, I ended up getting alienated and kept escaping to an imagined world that may have been more fun than my everyday life. Three different worlds were created due to that. The post-apocalyptic one, which I'm trying to write first, a fantasy one and a sci-fi. I hope get around to bringing them to life on paper if I turn out to be any good at it. It's really a wonderful feeling when fantasies from your childish past begin gaining proper shape -- and by your hand, at that. Have you felt that way, too?
I love these type stories!

I have insomnia. So, I'm going to edit the "wall of water" scene using the youtube video I found. When that's done, if I still can't sleep, I'll add another chapter or section to the autobiography. Hope to edit the historical, as well. And try to keep on schedule FCOL.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score

That's super cool! I hope everything turns out as amazing as it was in your head when you were younger. :) The ability to make something from your childhood into something tangible and real is really awesome. Maybe when we are children our imaginations are allowed to run "freer" without the restrictions of bias, experience, and fear getting in the way.

RLGreenleaf

Ummm, just one more chapter...
Registered
Reaction score
Question for everyone:

To put it bluntly, long-story-short, etc.:

If you have a trilogy completed, is it a good idea to publish the SECOND book first, before the FIRST book has been published?

Just wondering because my SECOND book (in said trilogy) is actually in much better shape than the FIRST, and though it uses some characters and situations from the FIRST book, stands on its own very well, independently.

Was wondering if anyone has heard of this happening before.

Was considering sending out the SECOND book, even though the FIRST one is not out yet.

Lots of smart people here, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks! :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Question for everyone:

To put it bluntly, long-story-short, etc.:

If you have a trilogy completed, is it a good idea to publish the SECOND book first, before the FIRST book has been published?

Just wondering because my SECOND book (in said trilogy) is actually in much better shape than the FIRST, and though it uses some characters and situations from the FIRST book, stands on its own very well, independently.

Was wondering if anyone has heard of this happening before.

Was considering sending out the SECOND book, even though the FIRST one is not out yet.

Lots of smart people here, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks! :)

You could publish the 2nd as the 1st book and then call the 1st book a prequel.

- - - Updated - - -

On my end, the writing has not been flowing these last few days. With the exception of one day when I was crazy busy with life, I've still hit my 1,000 words per day, but it hasn't been easy. Part of it may be that I'm writing an important section, and I want to make sure I get it right.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
After going back to read through chapter 23, I found myself as adding 300 words to it. I just didn't like how the broadcast said "in the nearest college near you" when there's so few survivors to the plague, so I changed it to "in a medical college near you" then added two new paragraphs to describe how the father feels after learning that the one near him isn't being used, but the one that's 4 hours away is. Now to get to chapter 24 (the son is still alive, but is in a coma thanks to the plague).

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I managed to write another 1000 words since I last posted in here. Things are starting to come together, but I know I'm still going to have to do some serious continuity edits in the first two books because of some of the twists in book 3. I'm hoping that I'm overestimating the amount. I usually do. Most of the time, I find I can eliminate these continuity errors pretty easily.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the first draft of a new short story. I like the premise, but it has a long way to go before it's ready for publication. Aside from the many typos, I need to develop the alien civilization more. Also found a great seed for another tale. Into the idea book it goes!

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
My idea book scares me. I have so many ideas I doubt I'll ever be able to write them all.
It could be the other way round: An idea book that you're scared to write anything in at all thus leaving it blank for eternity.

I may have that problem.

OT: Started looking up numerous Slavic/Russian name generators. Apparently it's really important that at least a notable chunk of my characters right now have Slavic and Russian-derived names despite the little idea I'm pottering away at being set in a fantasy world.

Last edited:

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 35% right now in what I'm doing, but it's something instead of nothing. Now just trying to get what I've written to sound better (right now, it's crap).

marveleon

Registered
Reaction score
Star Wars Ep. 4, 5, 6.

Then Ep. 1, 2, 3.

So yeah. That's what Georgie did. Seems he had the same problem you do... ;)

yournextdoorcreep

Registered
Reaction score
i personally believe i'm always thinking about writing...which does indeed suck since from of all those thoughts i only end up writing a few or none for the fact, most of the time i end up writing about the most cliché things in a very lousy way but after many lousy thoughts i come up with one that could actually be worth it, and even if it's not someone, somewhere could, under certain circumstances find it worth it...so that keeps me going, that and my monumental ego which keeps on telling me i have to be heard.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I finally got over my cover reveal hump. I've been stressing out over it, but I'm super glad it's finally out there. I just have the proofreading stage and it's out on Netgalley (should be in a couple of weeks.) I have plans to work on polishing book #6. I have 4 books after my published one and need to polish all of them if I'm going to send out to my publisher for possible consideration. But I always feel like writing something new. The last novel I finished was late December and I'm really beating myself I'm not writing. I've been writing if you count your blog and stuff like that. But I'm on the fence about really counting it "writing." Anyway, I'll figure it out eventually. I always do. Just hate being in a quandary like this.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
It's not what I wanted it to be, but draft 1 of chapter 23 is done. I'll return to it sometime down the road. Now to the final chapter to part 1 and then *shudder* edit through what I've written before moving on to part 2.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
My last 14,500 words have been a huge flashback. I love the revelations in this flashback, but I'm starting to worry that it might be too long. Explaining all of this through dialogue was not an option because my characters have to see what happened to believe it (It's fantasy, so people are able to share memories.). Besides, that would have been really boring. By using the flashback, I've allowed you to get inside the head of an important character who isn't a normal POV character.

In the end, it's a good thing. I'm just worried about the length.

Simpson17866

Registered
Reaction score
My last 14,500 words have been a huge flashback. I love the revelations in this flashback, but I'm starting to worry that it might be too long. Explaining all of this through dialogue was not an option because my characters have to see what happened to believe it (It's fantasy, so people are able to share memories.). Besides, that would have been really boring. By using the flashback, I've allowed you to get inside the head of an important character who isn't a normal POV character.

In the end, it's a good thing. I'm just worried about the length.
Does it have to be all at once? Would alternating Past chapters and Present chapters work?

Then, when one of the Present chapters ends in the flashback starting, followed by the final Past chapter, then we would find out that the MC had experienced all of the Past chapters at the same time?

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
Today's attempt to wrangle a half-developed plot idea into a coherent outline has resulted in the story and world exploding, and now what was supposed to be a stand-alone is looking to be at least two books. Anyone else in the same boat recently? :)