• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Easy. Not everyone is dead yet. Here, I'll help. :e2chain:

(In all seriousness, good luck!)

aah, just what I needed, lol. Thanks!

and for the record, I'm intrigued by angsty banjo players.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
and for the record, I'm intrigued by angsty banjo players.

They have a reputation among fiddlers for being jerks because they're always retuning, but in reality they're complex beasts, capable of being heroes and villains in their own right. :)

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
That moment when you realize you might have to change the name of one of your WiPs...

...because the name you gave the magical-girl protagonist of that story would be better for the magical-girl protagonist of another of your story ideas.

:greenie
I may wind up changing one of mine, because Annie/Liz(a) is apparently a SUPER common name pairing in f/f YA for some reason... :Shrug:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely at the 'why bother, it's pointless' phase of the writer's journey. Gah. Oh well, there's a story I wanna write and I even have an epigraph. And I gotta turn something in for the Sisyphus Solstice Sequel anyhow.

I don't have the energy to find another forum that tolerates me, so might as well keep writing.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Sometimes I feel like Calvin did in that one Calvin and Hobbes comic when he writes a comic.

Calvin says, (I'm paraphrasing here) "Look I drew a comic. There's a snowman and his snow car won't start. The snowman says, 'Darn, my engine's frozen'. Isn't that hilarious?"

Hobbes is quite for a moment before saying, (still paraphrasing) "Wouldn't the engine have melted the car because its snow?"

*Sigh* Sometimes you think of something really great for your story then a Hobbes comes over and says that logically won't work.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly hope my next novel goes a little more smoothly than my current one. :rant:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Sometimes I feel like Calvin did in that one Calvin and Hobbes comic when he writes a comic.

Calvin says, (I'm paraphrasing here) "Look I drew a comic. There's a snowman and his snow car won't start. The snowman says, 'Darn, my engine's frozen'. Isn't that hilarious?"

Hobbes is quite for a moment before saying, (still paraphrasing) "Wouldn't the engine have melted the car because its snow?"

*Sigh* Sometimes you think of something really great for your story then a Hobbes comes over and says that logically won't work.

I loved Calvin and Hobbes, IMO one of the best comics ever.

What's on my mind about my writing is that I'm going crazy (short trip) - I finished my first draft and wanted to give myself a few days to depressurize and disassociate, but am have a rough time doing so. I'm not among those that can set a project on the shelf and take years, months, or even days away from it. My characters are screaming at me, demanding that I get off my lazy butt and get to work.

Sigh.

Today I'll try distracting myself by working on an image I'll send to my cover designer. In my novel there is a local religion that involves an entity called the Stickman - whose image is similar to DaVinci's Vitruvian Man (a man within a circle), symbolizing that mankind is a part of nature, not separate from it, and must act accordingly.

That should take about an hour. Dang... what else can I do? Normally I'd jump on my motorcycle and take a ride, BUT even though today is the Summer Solstice we're expecting snow in the mountains, and thunderstorms with rain and hail down at my elevation (~7500 ft).

Maybe I'll read. I finished the Trilisk Ruins last night (good story BTW), and have the Dialogues by Plato on deck - maybe I'll start that.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought of a great idea for a Lovecraftian story for an anthology that's soliciting. The problem is the due date is June 30th.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score

I think if I had to pick a quote to sum up my writing right now would be from The Office (US). I'm not a huge fan of that show, but I was bored and was watching this one episode in which Michael Scott was attempting to write a book. Someone asked how much he had written and he goes "I've written all of it...in my head."

Yes! Don't we all feel that way sometimes?

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
So the last two/three weeks I've had a substantial amount of downtime. I was finally able to finish the short story I had been working on, which has received a *much* larger amount of attention than expected.

Now I just have to get that pesky novel off the ground.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
... well - my break between the first draft completion and starting the first editing pass has shortened. I was set to ride my motorcycle up to Steamboat Springs for a couple of days, but they got two feet of snow a few days ago and will accumulate more today and tomorrow.

Where has summer gone?

So, all that's left is to start editing earlier than I planned. I'll start on the prep-work today, and jump in tomorrow.

Sigh. Steamboat would have been nice.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having withdrawals. I handed off my book to my son to beta read and now I feel empty like I should be writing something.

I shall have to start on book two until I get feedback on book one.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'm having withdrawals. I handed off my book to my son to beta read and now I feel empty like I should be writing something.

I shall have to start on book two until I get feedback on book one.

A part of me worries that if I stop I won’t start again.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
How did it take me four drafts to realize that it's 60 miles between Seattle and Olympia, not 90? I live here!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I’m neck deep in research for my nonfiction book but I have nothing to occupy my itching fingers. My typewriter gives me pouting looks whenever I enter the room. Still haven’t made any brainstorming encodes in that ghost story idea. I’m stuck!

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
One of my minor characters has something terrible happen to her in the beginning of my novel and then she pretty much disappears until the end. I'm not sure that works.

Bridgen

Registered
Reaction score
Been working on the outline for my fantasy short story. Writing academic papers for a full year to writing creatively for about a week is, uh, a rough transition. I'm sure I'll manage. Hopefully.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Starting to write snippets and character backgrounds for book 2 while still editing book 1. I have queries and a full out right now. Am expecting several months of limbo before I send out the next bunch of queries.

Desertphile

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidmichaelrice.com
"What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?"

It needs more sex, more violence, more drugs, music, horses, and women with red hair. But gosh, I am writing a tea cozy so these things do not actually belong (except "behind doors" and only inferred in the prose).

Cosmering

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 75% done with my first draft of my MS but already have about twenty bullets of edits I know I have to go back and do. Ahh. Help.