• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
How I started this manuscript last month and I'm already 660 pages in. (It's handwritten).

Oceans24Skies

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, new kid here :)

I've gone through an enormous amount of life changes in the past couple of years, and right now, I'm just trying to start writing again. I have that panic that connects the back of my head to the pit of my stomach and says that I've lost my voice and squandered everything I knew. I just need to re-start, but I'm fumbling with it a bit. I joined several of these online writing communities, and I've been abusing snailmail just to force myself into social situations in which I have to prepare a written response. I'm not looking to start a book, necessarily; I just want to get going again.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
You're on fire, Maggiee, hand-written or not! You're still going to have the foundation in place and that's the major workload as far as I'm concerned.

My name is really Maggie. I did the "Maggiee" because I was afraid the name "Maggie19" might've been taken. That made my day. Thank you!

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my second draft! :hooray::hooray: :e2bear::Trophy::partyguy:

And it's much more toward my word count size. My first draft was 49K and this one is 75K (almost 76).

It took me eight months and fourteen days, but I did it.

On to the line-edit draft!

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score

And it's much more toward my word count size. My first draft was 49K and this one is 75K (almost 76).

That's awesome! Nice work! That's perseverance, no question about it. Now all you have to do is... keep doing that :)

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Undercover, and All!

Thanks for creating this thread. I can understand the frustration you describe. If my input is worth anything, it seems you are a writer who subconsiously sets a novel aside and like Truman Capote said, you let it "sit cold", then you return to it. You think about writing in the mean time because writing means a lot to you. I wouldn't see it in a negative way, it's just part of your process. I hope that helped some.

Now for me: I have an atypical kind of query I need to write. I wrote a 174,000 word novel that I was told I'll never get published or I greatly decrease my chance as it's too long. A writer told me that if I divide it into 3 novels each must resolve completely and independently at the end. Another writer told me no, that if I publish all three at once then resolve is not necessary and I can leave the reader hanging with the end of each novel. I found where I can divide it into 56K, 59K, and the third also at 59K. I did so and each leaves the reader with anticipation except the third of course resolves all three. What is the best way to write a query to an agent or traditional publisher for a trilogy? I like the title I had as I wrote it as a 174K novel and want to include that title with all three together with a different subtitle with each. Let me know if such titling is not appropriate in the writer's world. Much of the stories take place in America from California to Florida. A beta reader considered it the next great American novel, but felt also it was too long and needed to be divided. So after that I decided to have "an American Trilogy" with each title. The titles are: "The Silver Slipper Affair, an American Trilogy, Book One, The Particles of Tunguska"; "The Silver Slipper Affair, an American Trilogy, Book Two, The Conquest of Love"; and the last book, "The Silver Slipper Affair, an American Trilogy, Book Three, ...And Death Shall Have no Dominion".

So each book cover would have each part of the title on a separate line where I placed each of the commas, like:
The Silver Slipper Affair
an American Trilogy
Book One
The Particles of Tunguska

Do you or anyone know where I can find examples of authors of trilogies that got published and how they wrote their queries? I looked in Query Writers Hell and found no such examples. I find some trilogy authors in the main web but they are all best sellers and so famous they don't have contact info. I also haven't read their trilogies, and I think they would feel bad if I ask them such a question when I haven't bought their books. I might set premonitions aside and still perhaps ask some author that was published who is not so renowned they don't include contact info. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Winfred

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
you would query the novels as a standalone, and put in your housekeeping section: "The Silver Slipper Affair" is a standalone crime novel (or w/e genre) with series potential.

If an agent likes the book, they will ask about your series ideas. When it comes time to pitch an editor, they pitch the book as a single work of fiction, and if the editor likes it enough to take to acquisitions, they will ask for your series blurbs.

Even if writing a series, each book in the series needs to have a complete arc that wraps up, even if there is a larger overall arc for the series. Trilogy deals and trilogies in general are standard fare for many genres, but you will be querying based on the first book.

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I’m working on a new story. The tiniest seed of doubt about whether it should have been set in a secondary world instead of the modern world, but I’d hate to stop everything and start again. Trying to power through a first draft.

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Harlequin!

Thanks very much for taking the time and for your great advice!

Top of the Day!
Winfred

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
Last night, I had another writing ephiphany for something that’s been bothering me for ages, and I had to laugh because the answer seemed so simple, once it came to me. I think I overthink my plot sometimes.

Hope everyone’s stories are coming along. 🙂 I need to get back to mine; I stepped away from it for a while.

Well, damn it, I'm critically ill and trying to hang in there as best I can. Major surgeries and all kinds of hospital stays--health failing. The depression and suicidal thoughts abound, and I'm even on medication for that. My one current dream is to come full circle about my entire writing life from way back and keep on with the publishing of my last books. Writing is so dear to me that it bolsters me and keeps me alive. But it is so difficult for me to do. I just got a copy of my latest romance novel, and I just sold a YA trilogy. You know, I'm kind of asking God to let me live long enough to get some of my last books in print. Just enough time, is all I'm asking for.It's possible that the pursuit of creativity can keep the heart going. Writing is my best medication. That is how powerful it is. I want to come back to AW again and find my old friends. That would be sweet.

I am so, so sorry to hear. I know we’ve only spoken a few times on here, but I’m here if you ever need to vent. You’re in my prayers. I hope you’ll be able to finish publishing your books.

How I started this manuscript last month and I'm already 660 pages in. (It's handwritten).

Wow! Way to go, both of you! That’s great!

Even if writing a series, each book in the series needs to have a complete arc that wraps up, even if there is a larger overall arc for the series. Trilogy deals and trilogies in general are standard fare for many genres, but you will be querying based on the first book.

Lol I am really not looking forward to the query process for mine. It’s a continuing saga, in a format like the Lord of the Rings trilogy (one very long story), not to mention it will probably be difficult to categorize because I’ve mixed genres a bit. I’m trying not to think too much about the difficulty ahead of me; at least I’m not anywhere near that time yet (still writing). 🤣

Last edited:

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Everything about my writing is on my mind right now. I'm gearing up for NaNo, and have been pouring notes into a Google doc for the past week. I've been an aspiring writer for about 30 years, and I'm ready to actually be a writer. I want to finish a first draft. That's it. I want to feel what it's like to write "The End" after completing a full novel. I've been here so many times before. So many good intentions and promising beginnings that amounted to nothing. This time is going to be different (I've said that before too).

I think the one thing I've realized is that no matter what I attempt to write, it always winds up being about me and my own issues and fears. I can spend weeks creating characters and worldbuilding and plotting the story of a fun fantasy romp, only to eventually discover that my MC is a person who has the same problems, issues, hang-ups, and fears that I do. And in the past, that has often stopped me dead in my tracks because I didn't want to go there. Too painful. That doesn't seem to be the case this time.

I'm refusing to actually start drafting the novel until November 1st. I think that's going to be good for me. It makes it special. Something I've been waiting for and look forward to diving into. Here's hoping!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Unexpected, the publisher seems to be taking on the trilogy one at a time, spacing them about a yea or so tot. My agent and i were expecting a package deal which might have been more multi-tasking involved. Which would sav some dead time on productions. But is my second longer series so I'm just not up to day figuring that the standard contract look likes.My agent says she'll tighten it up and the publisher is adverse to working with a health care patience, but i sure don't wont to kick off editing half way through the series and leave these books stranded. either

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I can't seem to finish a short story. Key word: Short . I guess this is because can always think of things I'd rather write. You know, shiny new ideas. Or I'll tell myself the story is too complicated or it is too emotional (that's what happened to my last story I was halfway into. I realized it was far to emotional for me to write in this time in my life. Plus the world was boring.) <-- See I can always find an excuse not to write something. I don't even want to get published I just want to write for fun. The internet isn't a distraction, but my own daydreams are.

Sigh, sorry for the rant but I just want to write a story that will interest me the whole way through.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to finish a short story. Key word: Short . I guess this is because can always think of things I'd rather write. You know, shiny new ideas. Or I'll tell myself the story is too complicated or it is too emotional (that's what happened to my last story I was halfway into. I realized it was far to emotional for me to write in this time in my life. Plus the world was boring.) <-- See I can always find an excuse not to write something. I don't even want to get published I just want to write for fun. The internet isn't a distraction, but my own daydreams are.

Sigh, sorry for the rant but I just want to write a story that will interest me the whole way through.

I hope you can sort this out, but here's my advice anyway. Stories are always hard to get though. I doubt there's many writers that can say they were excited about a project from start to finish. There's always some rough parts, some moments of "what am I doing?" some points where you want to give up, but if you power though (with reasonable breaks), you can look at a fully edited, fully written short story. For me, I try to force shiny ideas out of my head and focus on only my project. I mean, sometimes when I can't sleep I'll think of other projects, or if something comes up that I need to use as research for another project, I get sidetracked, but that's just my way. As for the emotional story, take a break. There are some stories you're just not ready for.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like being a fiction writer is largely having the ability to absorb and replicate cultural values.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Well, I thought of a short story collection I want to write really badly (about the same characters). The two main characters and their adventures have stolen my heart and attention. I have to write it!

But, I'm afraid if I start writing this collection I'll...

1) lose interest in the other worlds I've created.

Or

2) Lose interest in the collection.

Are these two fears likely to happen? I've lost interest in stories in the past purely because I started writing them. And, I hope I will never have to give up the other worlds I've created ( I can't figure out how to cut out some characters so I can't write them.)

Also I don't see an end to (or want to end) this collection. Personally, I'm afraid if I finish the collection I'll stop thinking about the wonderful characters in it.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
"You don't have what it takes." That's what the angel of mercy would say.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the first draft of a 6,000-word short story, and I’m very pleased. I think it has great potential and I’m so looking forward to getting it revised and sent out to a couple of friends to read. I managed to work on it nearly every day since I started it about 3 weeks ago, which is unusual considering how busy I have been (visits to and from parents; many late nights at work). I don’t know if I can carry that discipline back to working on my novel, but it sure would be nice.

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
1) I wish my in-laws would better understand that being a novelist means spending an incredible amount of time behind a computer screen/pad of paper. Sometimes it’s difficult finding the time to write between jobs, my pre-existing health issues, and other things we have going on, which I guess is making me slightly more antisocial. Finding balance for everything is tough! I guess I’ll figure it out one of these days- maybe. :Shrug:

2) I need to create a more-detailed outline for the next several scenes in my book. There is so much to keep track of! Maybe I’ll make a spreadsheet.

Last edited: