• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Sagml John

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnbeaverspen.wordpress.com
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Harlequin ...how exciting DID you hope it'd be?_?_
More exciting than it turned out. Maybe because I can't tell if it was a dream sequence or not, but the horse was unusually chill about it.

:roll:I see you're in LA but you sound so... British. Love the humor! (or is that humour)

Last edited:

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
I've just realised that one of the main supporting characters in my WIP has zero story arc. She's just there being her all busy-like with her family and work and being best friends with the MC. But nothing actually happens to her at all. Nothing.

Bother :Headbang:

anaemic_mind

Registered
Reaction score
On the plus side, you've recognized the issue! :Hug2:

Thank you for the hug. Much appreciated :)

I am pleased I noticed while I'm still on the first draft. But squeezing it into my already stupidly epic story might be hard. This may end up being a Trilogy at this rate. I'm struggling to resolve the MC's arc in one book, let alone the other five secondary characters and the antagonist...and now I've got her as well :e2drown:

Unless I just kill her off? :idea:

anaemic_mind

Registered
Reaction score
:roll: Killing off a character is always a nice option :evil

Trouble is then...what do I do with her four children and husband...oh and her Mother and her sister(s) [still not worked out how many she has]? Killing her opens up a whole raft of tertiary arc problems. She's the one character in the story who has a vast family who are mentioned now and then...:e2smack:

I might have to go for a red wedding scenario at this rate.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why I bother reading old WIPs, because that was a time where my ideas were messy, my writing wasn't great...but I could write without worrying about whether it was good or not. I miss that self-confidence.

(Also, it's always nice to hear about new-adult being a dead category, because the one WIP I've put the most time into would fit into that category. *shrugs and smiles and sighs*)

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got a fricking outline for a novella that I'm happy with. It's amazing how much I cut and how much I crammed in to do those things like, character development and world building. Now I just need to start writing the darn thing XD

caroline.q

Registered
Reaction score
I go through these periods where I don't write for months and then I'll have months where I'm writing furiously everyday. It's really frustrating. On the off months I feel like I'm failing and clearly not meant to be a writer and all the other self doubt thoughts we get.

Cascada

Registered
Reaction score
At this rate, I'll be 80 by the time I produce a publishable piece, but I'm trucking on anyway, because I really like creating stories ^_^.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've come back to the forum again after a break. Got my first draft done, so now I'm letting it rest for a bit before I jump back in for edits. Maybe I'll even start working on a query in the meantime :eek:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Anxiously waiting on several submissions. Meanwhile, I’m conducting an experiment with writing prompts. Between completed stories I often feel depleted, and sometimes worry if my well has dried up. I’m exploring whether or not releasing all inhibitions, just free writing, can be used to sift out a few gold nuggets for future use. My word counts are always very low when I do this because I have no plan, no goal to work towards, but writing is writing and no words are wasted.

SarahJane

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a short story to Apex Magazine's anthology "Do Not Go Quietly" last week, and I've been obsessively checking the progress of the queue. Started at 327 and now they're down to 209, so it's moving along nicely, but will still probably take a couple weeks to hear back. I really need to stop punishing myself like this.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a short story to Apex Magazine's anthology "Do Not Go Quietly" last week, and I've been obsessively checking the progress of the queue. Started at 327 and now they're down to 209, so it's moving along nicely, but will still probably take a couple weeks to hear back. I really need to stop punishing myself like this.

Hey, I did that too! Small world. Good luck!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Been going to my critique group for six years, working on the same novel. It's exciting to be bringing in the last chapters.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
Headed off to a PB workshop this weekend. Started an online fiction course today to help me focus on my short story collection. I’m in the midst of editing my novel for the publisher. And I suddenly have an urge to write poetry. I couldn’t be happier.

Deadeyemouse

Perpetually Wondering Why
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deadeyemouse.wixsite.com
Okay, I'm about half way done with this important scene that really gets Act 1 kicking. Putting me about a third of the way through Act 1.

Shit, I'm at 40 pages. This might be getting too long, I might need to look at the outline and cut that Denny's scene, take that discovery and character moment and place it elsewhere, but where?

I really like the idea of a safe harbor though... a diner for the group to be able to relax and act as a hub of sorts. Awww! I'll do it and have a backup plan on how to cut when the time comes maybe.