• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Second Moon said:
RANT ALERT!!!

Word is being a litterbox-head! <-- (my newest insult) More than 1,000 words gone! I wrote for an hour to finish up a short story and as soon as I finish it...poof! Now it's gone, because Word didn't autosave! I know it's my fault for assuming auto-save, but I don't want to blame myself because today is just one of those horrible day and it's only 9: 45 in the morning. I'll have my tech-savvy dad look at Word, because I need it to write a paper that'll count as part of my midterm. Ugh.
I feel your pain.

Losing work happened to me countless times in my life. I'm certain we've all experienced it. Once I lost an entire policy I was working on. It was so much work I went out and bought a recovery software program. It was well worth it. I got almost all of the policy back.

That was ages ago; there may be whole new ways to deal with it nowadays. I have gotten save-savvy over the years. I keep a running text document open where I'll copy-paste things that are too long to lose. I copy forum entries to the clipboard before posting just in case. But I still lose stuff from time to time and chastise myself for letting my guard down.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
So, this might be kind of long, but I think it's significant. About 7 weeks ago, due to a pretty major meltdown and finally succumbing to the realization that I've lived with anxiety and depression for way too long and it seems to be getting worse, I went to the doctor and to put on Lexapro. The journey over those seven weeks has been interesting, but I can definitely say that I am much more balanced, leveled out, and soooo much less stressed and anxious now. In fact, I didn't realize just how bad the anxiety had gotten. It was almost constant. I know that now because I'm living anxiety-free (well, for the most part, I'm still human, LOL) and it's such a game-changer.

Anyway, I picked up my WIP that I've been ignoring for a long time. When COVID hit and everything shut down, I began working from home and really thought I'd get back to writing and have a great time with it. My anxiety had other plans though. So, I didn't write. Or rather, I'd try and get frustrated or have major insecurity and self-doubt about my writing and give up. I'd try to start new WIPs that I thought might be "better" and then I'd lose interest in those and scrap them.

Luckily, I kept the story that I've had in my head and been slowly plugging away at for...years. I dusted it back off recently and have been plugging away again. And the most miraculous thing has happened. I no longer obsess over my writing not being good enough. I read back over it sometimes and think to myself "well this is crap" but I just shrug it off and keep typing. Sometimes even while I'm typing I'm thinking how bad it is, but...it doesn't bother me. It's like I can deal with it and it doesn't kill my motivation to keep on keeping on!

I just crossed 20,000 words in this WIP, and I'm pretty sure I've never written that much on one project before. I have yet to complete anything that I've started writing. Today, for the first time, I had the inkling of a feeling that this will be the one. And I let myself imagine what it will feel like to actually finish it and write The End. And it felt so good just thinking about it. It doesn't seem impossible. I don't care that it's going to be a first draft full of flaws. I don't even care if it never sees the light of day (though honestly there's a sparkle of hope that it will). I just want the accomplishment of finishing it. That's it. And if I don't I don't...but I really think I will. It may take me a few more years to finish it. That's okay too.

Anyway, I'm excited. I'm going to try to do NaNo...though as a rebel. My plan is to have 50k words total by the end of November, and since I'm already just over 20k, that's obviously not within the normal rules of NaNo. That's fine. I just want to make significant progress. 50k will probably be about halfway of this book (it's a fantasy), and just thinking of reaching that milestone fills me with excitement.

That's it! :)

That’s excellent, keep getting pumped up about it! It’s so much easier to write with a clear head (as it is to do most things!) As someone who has struggled with these issues myself, I do have to keep in mind to be kind to myself. I set goals for what I would like to accomplish each day. However, some days are simply not good and on those days it’s okay to not write and it’s okay to just focus on feeling better. All the best!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
PamelaC, I feel you. It's great to hear you're tackling that anxiety.

A few weeks ago, I was starting to feel like I might be ready to start a new WIP over a year after finishing the last one, but then I kind of got walloped by health issues and with all the nonsense attendant on buying my first home. The two things are related, I think. That is, I think all the stress of looking for and negotiating on a new home caused the health issue to flare up. The condition isn't life-threatening, but it has to be taken care of or it would erode my quality of life. I've been to three doctors and two ERs in the last two and half weeks, and I'm going again today for a last-minute doctor's appointment. Let's just say it's all caused me anxiety. Not just anxious feelings, but anxiety, for the first time in my life. That, in turn, exacerbates the condition, and it becomes a vicious cycle. Don't even get me started on the home-buying shenanigans I've been experiencing.

Naturally, writing hasn't really been happening, though I did manage to drag out an old WIP and start editing it.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com

A few weeks ago, I was starting to feel like I might be ready to start a new WIP over a year after finishing the last one, but then I kind of got walloped by health issues and with all the nonsense attendant on buying my first home. The two things are related, I think. That is, I think all the stress of looking for and negotiating on a new home caused the health issue to flare up. The condition isn't life-threatening, but it has to be taken care of or it would erode my quality of life. I've been to three doctors and two ERs in the last two and half weeks, and I'm going again today for a last-minute doctor's appointment. Let's just say it's all caused me anxiety. Not just anxious feelings, but anxiety, for the first time in my life. That, in turn, exacerbates the condition, and it becomes a vicious cycle. Don't even get me started on the home-buying shenanigans I've been experiencing.

Naturally, writing hasn't really been happening, though I did manage to drag out an old WIP and start editing it.

:Hug2: I'm sorry.

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score

Bless you're heart. It really can turn into a vicious cycle that one gets trapped in and has a hard time getting out of. And I hear you about buying a house. Thanksgiving will be a year that I've been in my new (to me) house. Everything went pretty smoothly for me, but it's still stressful. I had lived in my previous home for 15 years, so this was a big change. In the space of 5 months I lost my beloved horse (had him 22 years, saw him being born), sold my farm/home, lost my cat, moved to a new house, then lost one of my dogs. That happened between last September and this February. Then COVID hit in March. And I'm a teacher, so teaching remotely has been stressful, now we have students coming back for face-to-face in a few days (some of them...some are staying remote) and that is also stressful.

There finally comes a time when you realize you can't take any more stress. I hit that on August 18th this year. I completely lost it. But I'm grateful that it pushed me to seek help and that I got that help.

Good luck to you in your journey with your health...both mental and physical. That has to be priority number one. The writing will resurface when you're ready for it.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Second Moon, Pamela C, thank you!

PamelaC, that's a LOT to take on. I think many people don't turn to professional help because they think it's just part of life, or they don't have it as bad as other people, or it's just a bad moment, but we really need to normalize getting help and to inform people how to recognize when they do need help.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Got my MS back from my editor - actually, it isn't bad... should only take a week or so to sort it out.

Next up is the cover design - same guy that did my other books in this series will do it, so that should go smoothly.

A November release is still looking good.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Got my MS back from my editor - actually, it isn't bad... should only take a week or so to sort it out.

Next up is the cover design - same guy that did my other books in this series will do it, so that should go smoothly.

A November release is still looking good.

Wow! I'm on the same steps. I just need the cover art and am thinking of a November release. I'm also using the same artist who did the first book in the series.

Chaoticia

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking tonight that I have four unfinished novels and near zero motivation to complete them, I wrestle with nihilism too much.. need to eat more Subway.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I looked up what ferrets eat because on of my MCs in a MG project is one. Turns out they are strict carnivores. I thought they would eat plants like guinea pigs. Guess I was wrong.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Heh. Sounds like my kitten.

We had a sort of ferret city set up in what would have been a 'formal dining room' if we were formal folks. One of our guys stole my glasses from our upstairs bedroom, carried them downstairs, and put in his little hidey hole at the top of ferret city.

They also try to dig under closed doors - so kiss your carpeting goodbye.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Someone on Facebook, whose thoughts seem to amount to quote pics of other people's thoughts, just told me I'm not a real writer. Dude, whatever your definition of a real writer is, I'm surprised your comment to me isn't another sans-serif quote on a snarling wolf pic.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Someone on Facebook, whose thoughts seem to amount to quote pics of other people's thoughts, just told me I'm not a real writer. Dude, whatever your definition of a real writer is, I'm surprised your comment to me isn't another sans-serif quote on a snarling wolf pic.

Oh for heaven's sake. Anyone who writes is a real writer. I'm not sure whether this is jealousy from someone who wants to be deeper and cooler than they are, or signs of a superiority complex from someone who genuinely thinks they're better than everyone else. Either way, it's nonsense. I mean, why would this person go out of their way to put you down like that?

At least the quote pics aren't in Comic Sans? [Please tell me they aren't in Comic Sans.]

--

Over here, I've been doing some rewriting, and it feels great. It's something I didn't realize I needed.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Oh for heaven's sake. Anyone who writes is a real writer. I'm not sure whether this is jealousy from someone who wants to be deeper and cooler than they are, or signs of a superiority complex from someone who genuinely thinks they're better than everyone else. Either way, it's nonsense. I mean, why would this person go out of their way to put you down like that?

At least the quote pics aren't in Comic Sans? [Please tell me they aren't in Comic Sans.]

--

Over here, I've been doing some rewriting, and it feels great. It's something I didn't realize I needed.
Oh no, snarling wolf quote pic fonts are never comic sans! They have EDGE, like the person who shares them :ROFL:I feel a bit bugged by those comments because, yeah, my debut I took 4 years to write, did flop. But mostly I'm just like... dude... who ARE you, what qualifies your statements, and what achievements have you built that high horse on?
Honestly, I get these sometimes, and they're usually from the kind of people who think they're too tough for books. Okay kiddo, when you're done punching that drywall, let's talk about why books scare you so...

I hate and love rewriting. It has only ever made my writing better, but the prospect of the task, ugh no...

Mare

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryjhicks.com
I enjoyed reading the comments for today—haven't been on in a while. I'm on my fourth novel, about half way, and there's two different ways to go from where I am in the story. My hang-up is that I like both paths, can't decide which way to go. So, I've just stopped writing—trying to think through it.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
In a short story I'm writing, some pets are escaping a science museum and are using a moon buggy to get some speed away from the bad guy's snakes. To write this scene I needed to research how moon buggies work. Their steering wheel design was very surprising to me. They are T-shaped. They don't have pedals either (or at least as far as I can tell). The steering wheel can make it go forwards and brake.

I'm still looking up stuff, but if you know any of this is wrong, please correct me. I suck at understanding vehicle mechanics.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heavens to Murgatroid, I'm doing an awful lot of pre-planning and notemaking for this year's NaNo for a guy who claims to be a pantser! (Yeah, I've been known to pants more frequently but I'm thinking this year's project requires a metric shit tonne of planning because of the topics and character back stories.)

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I just looked up what a dolphin skeleton looks like for a short story I'm writing. Super creepy. I also thought their dorsal fin would be part of their skeleton, but I guess not.

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
So my WIP is loosely based on Arthurian legend, and after going down a wikipedia rabbit-hole, I've discovered that a LOT of the characters resemble (loosely) the characters in the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just from the main cast, we have Princess Amren, whose mother was called Angharad, which is awful similar to Alexander's Princess Eilonwy, daughter of Angharad.
And then there's Moony, a dogman loosely based on Gwrgi Garwlwyd. And who does Alexander have? Why, a half-man, half-beast character called Gurgi.
I have Eiddilig, the queen of the dwarves, he has Eiddileg, king of the fair folk.

I know this is fairly unavoidable since we're both based on King Arthur, but I've never read Prydain, and I've never seen the Disney adaptation of The Black Cauldron. Ever.
But I know it's a famous series of fantasy novels, and readers are gonna be more familiar with that than they are the original King Arthur myths, so parallels are gonna be drawn, and it's stressing me out.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Today I was going though my laptop and found the start of a very interesting short story I wrote. It was incomplete at only 930 words. I searched all of the laptop's folders (and the folders on my main computer for notes on the story. Nothing. The story was last touched in July 2019. Then, I vaguely recall scribbling some notes on it last year in a tiny, pocket-sized notebook. I found the notebook, but it appears that some pages were sloppily ripped out my yours truly. I had bought that particular notebook in a pack of three, so I searched for the other notebook with no luck. I must have thrown them away. Now I have this very interesting start of a short story and no notes on what it was about. I faintly remember some things about the story, but not much.

Moral of the story...NEVER THROW AWAY YOUR OLD JOURNALS OR RIP PAGES OUT!!!!!! You never know when those scrapped ideas will come back to you.