AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 540 of 540 FirstFirst ... 40290440465490515530534535536537538539540
Results 13,476 to 13,484 of 13484

Thread: What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Just got some VERY nice feedback on my pitch/blurb for the new WIP, in a public forum... now I just need to finish the damn book!
    Write the change you want to see in the world!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

PROCRASTINATING SUBS: One of the Lucky Ones (YA) - Soundtrack, Moodboard
    WRITING: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    PONDERING: Lion of Andalus (historical)
    Twitter (barely)

practical experience, FTW indianroads's Avatar
    I'm trying to figure out what a sister of a traitor and mass murdered would do if she saw him getting kicked to death. This guy conspired with the enemy, and opened the city gates for their army which resulted in the deaths of thousands. They weren't particularly close before he did this. Now, a few years later, the city he fled to is in the process of falling, and some of the survivors of his old city (if you can follow that) have cornered him. His sister is hiding, but sees her brother being kicked by a father who lost his family due to her brother's actions.

Does she run to her brother and try to save him or not? Complicating this problem, if she tries to save her bother, and fails, she will probably be killed as well.

What to do? What to do?

Always Learning
    I will end 6 months of research on Feb 13. I want to start writing by Feb 1. With what I am stuck doing, for the time being, I doubt I will meet that start date. Feb 14th is day one, after 6 months of research. It is an acceptable date, for me, to start. I wanted to cut it under 6 months of research though. Oh well.
    Completed
    Custom templates & databases.
    95% of research (with back-end matters; e.g. Lit Agent analysis).

WIP
    Research (began August 14, 2017); 3 eras.

Next Phase
    GOAL START: February 1, 2018 - Begin writing book 1, Era II of a SF/F Series
    (attempt at YA, upmarket fiction)

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    I've hit a rough patch in my WIP. My daily quota of 1000 words is getting harder and harder to meet.
    Check out my published work here!

Visit my blog, updated regularly!

http://gutsofimagination.blogspot.com/

Got an old typewriter you want gone? PM me!

figuring it all out
    Currently staring at a blank word doc. I've got the idea, the characters and the setting...now I'm just trying to figure out whether to use the standard First Person POV, or the Third Person POV. I've tried the Second Person POV but that didn't work for a while.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm sticking with 2nd Person. A lot easier for me right now.
    Last edited by cynicalpirate; Yesterday at 07:06 PM.
    Write what you know - Mark Twain

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature Reservoir Angel's Avatar
    So focused on laying out the path for a trilogy that I can't seem to focus on just Book One and get it underway.

Also wondering if it might be hard to make readers care about a MC if the first thing he's seen doing is contemplating and cynically talking himself out of commiting suicide.

practical experience, FTW indianroads's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Angel View Post
    So focused on laying out the path for a trilogy that I can't seem to focus on just Book One and get it underway.

Also wondering if it might be hard to make readers care about a MC if the first thing he's seen doing is contemplating and cynically talking himself out of commiting suicide.
    Actually it could work the opposite way. You meet MC at his lowest point, and learn to care about him.

practical experience, FTW thereeness's Avatar
    Just wrote one of the best lines ever with my MC. I didn't realize how violent/angry she is, but I kinda like it. It gives her more traits in common with the antagonist and will highlight how the antagonist fell prey to those anger tendencies while my MC rises above them. It's really cool.

And plus, who doesn't like the thought of spreading your enemy's liver on toast?
    Laurine's Literary Lookout: http://laurinebruder.tumblr.com
    Updates every Tuesday with writing tips, slices of author life, and thoughts on books and writing in general.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Angel View Post

The TV series version of Lethal Weapon (Martin Riggs) does this throughout the series. The writers, through his interactions with friends and their family members, slowly convince him that he has worth and is needed.
    Completed
    Custom templates & databases.
    95% of research (with back-end matters; e.g. Lit Agent analysis).

WIP
    Research (began August 14, 2017); 3 eras.

Next Phase
    GOAL START: February 1, 2018 - Begin writing book 1, Era II of a SF/F Series
    (attempt at YA, upmarket fiction)

Page 540 of 540 FirstFirst ... 40290440465490515530534535536537538539540