• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I hope this line from my WIP is not considered sexist. It's intended to be humor.

Hmmm....just maybe a tad sexist. And I'm a guy. Remember WWII? I would rewrite it, if you are inclined to keep it.

Some say the way to a woman's heart can be bought with Chocolate.

Chocolate can buy some women's hearts, but not all.

Chocolate can be a great opener to a woman's heart.

Jonp95

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having such a dilemma while editing my manuscript! POV's are just too confusing.
In my fantasy novel, I have the protagonists POV, then every two chapters or so i switch to a character half the world away and use her POV. This has worked fine so far but now the second character disappears until the next novel. I want to replace her POV with an semi-antagonist that is introduced halfway into the book. Is this a good idea? :flag:

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
Agree that I'd need context to be sure, but if it works for the POV character, I'd say you can let it ride. :)

This. It doesn't really matter if the line is sexist to the reader or not so long as it's appropriate to the character those thoughts belong to, or the setting of the book.

I'm having such a dilemma while editing my manuscript! POV's are just too confusing.
In my fantasy novel, I have the protagonists POV, then every two chapters or so i switch to a character half the world away and use her POV. This has worked fine so far but now the second character disappears until the next novel. I want to replace her POV with an semi-antagonist that is introduced halfway into the book. Is this a good idea? :flag:

There's not a problem with this at all. Plenty of writers introduce new POV characters, some of whom may only appear once. If it works for the structure of the book, drives the story forward, or as long as it keeps the reader's intention, then I say go for it.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Not sure if working on an 1860's style dress is procrastination or not (I write in that era), but the project definitely seems to be consuming what might otherwise be writing time . . .

On the plus side, I know what it's like to wear a corset and hoop skirt now and have a much better appreciation for the work (and yards of fabric) that went into those dresses ladies wore in the 1860s.

I'm putting it aside for a bit and will get back to editing like a good girl.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if working on an 1860's style dress is procrastination or not (I write in that era), but the project definitely seems to be consuming what might otherwise be writing time . . .

On the plus side, I know what it's like to wear a corset and hoop skirt now and have a much better appreciation for the work (and yards of fabric) that went into those dresses ladies wore in the 1860s.

Hey, if I get to count drinking martinis as period research, then you can certainly count hands-on experience with period costume. :D

(I can count drinking martinis, can't I?)

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
It has been two months since I've posted anything on AW. I might have lurked at some point in there, but I'm not really sure.

Maybe if I get involved here again, I can rediscover the passion I used to feel for writing. It comes back from time to time, but never as consistently as I'd like.
:hi:

I wrote new words this weekend for the first time in close to a year... it happens!

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Working out the societal balance of a two-tiered magic system whereby you have wizards, who devote their lives to studying magic to master it, and then you have sorcerers for whom magic is as instinctive as breathing.

Trying to get the interaction between the two down. Current feeling is the sorcerers being shunned and largely feared while the wizards are revered, but that entire dynamic being a result of a long and constant spouting of propaganda by wizards largely to cover up their own hubristic failings which is what led to sorcerers even being a thing to begin with.

Like wizards tampered with some ancient knowledge they didn't understand and tore reality which let magic bleed in from beyond the veil and create people who are naturally infused with it, so wizards just want them hated and sidelined so nobody ever tries to really bother finding out their origins and realising that it was the wizard clases that messed with the fabric of reality and very possibly doomed all of creation.

Jonp95

Registered
Reaction score
This. It doesn't really matter if the line is sexist to the reader or not so long as it's appropriate to the character those thoughts belong to, or the setting of the book.

There's not a problem with this at all. Plenty of writers introduce new POV characters, some of whom may only appear once. If it works for the structure of the book, drives the story forward, or as long as it keeps the reader's intention, then I say go for it.

Thanks this is a big help :D

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Been thinking about some of my long-term goals. They seem so distant I wonder if I’ll ever get there.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, drinking martinis counts. I say so; therefore, it is so.

Carry on.

Cheers! :D

To the thread topic: I don’t think I’m going to be able to cut that story down to 5000 words, so I’ll be shopping it elsewhere than that particular contest. It’s been a good exercise, and really forced me to think about what is essential to the story and what can go, and what can be said in fewer words.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Throwing the production notes I'd written for this year's NaNo out the window. Since Saturday 11/10, I've determined that my MC has been through rehab as an adult, contemplated suicide during that time, and attempted it about a year before the story begins, when he was 16.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Been down sick after getting the flu shot.

I suggest that anyone considering the shot request the one that prevents the flu, rather than the one that gives it to you. Stupid me, I forgot to ask.
Do not blame flu shots because you caught a cold at the same time. Placebo controlled studies show it's not the flu shot making you ill. Epidemiological studies show a lot of viral pathogens circulate during the same months we give flu shots. [/sidetrack]

I'm annoyed my writing looks dorky until it's on the page and edited half a dozen times.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Do not blame flu shots because you caught a cold at the same time. Placebo controlled studies show it's not the flu shot making you ill. Epidemiological studies show a lot of viral pathogens circulate during the same months we give flu shots. [/sidetrack]

I'm annoyed my writing looks dorky until it's on the page and edited half a dozen times.

I know - that was an attempt at humor. Needless to say, I suck at writing comedy.

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm....just maybe a tad sexist. And I'm a guy. Remember WWII? I would rewrite it, if you are inclined to keep it.

Some say the way to a woman's heart can be bought with Chocolate.

Chocolate can buy some women's hearts, but not all.

Chocolate can be a great opener to a woman's heart.

Yeah, seconding that. Can still work if the writing's stellar, or if the expectation is played with in some way (I still fondly remember a short story where a guy was sending out chocolates on Valentine's Day to get women to come to him, and it became apparent that he was a morgue attendant sending out *poisoned* chocolates), or if the narrator is clearly working in the context where he says "women" but just means "uncommitted straight women".

But if it's played straight, then--as a married woman who buys dozens of books a year and gets reeeeaaaallly bored by guys who act like Godiva or jewelry would make me dump my husband--I'd eyeroll hard and move on.

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
So I've got a work (of unpublishable length--currently 16,400, so well below the 20K people are beginning to consider for novellas, but set that aside for the moment), and it's spec fic, but the spec fic elements really only become explicit 3/4ths of the way through the story.

Thoughts on the logistics of telling it backwards? Of starting with the dénouement, going to the climax that reveals the spec fic elements, and then moving back through the first encounter with the weird element?

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I need to pay someone to not only make me actually do writing but also to stop me when my imagination runs away into bombastic fantasy lands of what could be in the future of a massive series I have stretching out hypothetically before me, rather than focusing on what I need to be writing right now to actually get anything done in a more realistic framing.

Basically I'm trying to write Infinity War while I don't have the details of Iron Man 1 nailed down yet, and it's massively distracting.

ACMeehan

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to shorten a long draft - I have already killed all the obvious darlings and now am having to really hunt for them, which is probably why I'm so easily distracted right now. I've spent far too much time online trying to find credible people saying, "Don't worry about word count for your first novel. Agents and editors totally love having more of your brilliant work to read and obviously bigger books sell better." Just because something's NOT on the internet doesn't make it NOT true, does it?

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I am on chapter 12 of my NaNoWriMo novel, and I'm supposed to be on chapter 18. I am going to try to write 3 chapters today, as each chapter is 2,000 words, and try to write three more chapters tomorrow. I need to get caught up. Otherwise, I am not going to win NaNoWriMo.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Update: I did it. I wrote 3 chapters yesterday. Now, to get caught up, I'm gonna write 3 more chapters, and tomorrow I will write 3 more chapters, and hopefully, by tomorrow, I'm going to be on chapter 20, where I'm supposed to be. I hope it wasn't too late to introduce the villain of the story. She didn't show up until chapter 14.