• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten some great feedback on a recent short story. Next time I edit it will be with a mind towards submitting soon.

On my non-fiction book, I discovered that what I thought was a transcript of a criminal trial was, in fact, depositions taken in preparation for said trial. I hope I find the transcript (if it exists) or else the book will be lopsided: a detailed examination of the preliminary trial followed by a lackluster section on the criminal trial might annoy the reader.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
While I was on vacation, I was trying to find a marionette to buy for my current WIP that is based around puppets. Unfortunately, the antique store that sold them had gone out of business and was instead replaced with a organic dog treat store. At least that wasn't as bad the place trying to sell vegan leather. What is that even?
Anyway, the closest I got to finding a marionette were stuffed animals that you could pull around on a leash. Sigh. I'm going on another month-long vacation with more antique stores. Maybe I'll get lucky there.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I've decided to make my YA short story collection (That's still in the planning stage) into an adult short story collection. I mean no offense to YA writers, but writing YA just isn't for me. Reminds me of my not too-long-ago teens years. *shudder*

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Vegan leather is the leather made from the hide of a vegan animal. You know, a cow, a steer, a deer.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Slowly chiseling away at the comments I left in the manuscript of things I need to address, but then finding myself adding more. lol! In other news, I'm finding myself liking the winter months over the summer months. Just too much to do on top of a full time job that's exhausting at the end of the day. With all of this rain, the weeds are out of control and I've lost my passion for gardening. It's become a chore rather than something I do to escape the world. I go to the cemetery to clean headstones for that now, but the rain....At least in the winter I have time to work on my creative endeavors, like writing and drawing. I have to squeeze in time for writing, and drawing, well, that gets put on the back burner until winter.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a short story I've been tinkering with for months, so thinking about markets for it now.

Also pondering chapter openings. I was a little concerned that all the chapters in my WIP were sounding 'samey' out of the gate, so now I'm keeping a list of first sentences (last ones too) to help keep things fresh. Anyone else do this?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finishing the last of the edits. Damn, I love this story but how the hell do I describe it in a query?

My critique group suggestions for my query were so far off base. I didn't bring the chapters in in order and the group members have changed multiple times over the years. Only the group leader has been consistently there, six and a half years. Applying the usual tropes, group leader thinks my story is something completely different than it is. And from random chapters the current group has no clue. It's not an action hero story. The action scenes are not central parts in the story. Important, yes, but not central to the story.

But it's a really good story.

We have a query SYW forum. Anyone interested in a query workshop for those of us that need help figuring the basics out when the story is 'different'?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a short story I've been tinkering with for months, so thinking about markets for it now.

Also pondering chapter openings. I was a little concerned that all the chapters in my WIP were sounding 'samey' out of the gate, so now I'm keeping a list of first sentences (last ones too) to help keep things fresh. Anyone else do this?
Control-F (search) is good for that. I open the whole piece and control-F to find repeating phrases. It works great.

Ruby Road

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gheltebridle.wixsite.com
Hmmm...what's on my mind at 1am?

I'm attempting to finish my first novel this summer, at about 20K words, goal is 50K... *shudder*. Probably have to scrap and rewrite most of it, it's been awhile since I worked on it. Changed the title for the third time. But at least I have a clearer idea of what I want to do with it now.

1st title- Shadows and Substance- Found out this is already a title for something else.
2nd- The Necessity of the Lie- Lies are an important theme. But this seemed too pretentious.
3rd- Essential Lies- Hopefully won't have to change it again.

As for other projects, at about 5K with a short story about a girl and a robot man, told through their diaries. Started out as your average post apocalypse scenario, with characters attempting to restore order. Took an unexpected turn and seems to be turning into a weird scifi romance thing now...I don't really regret this, but I seem to lose control of the story after a certain point. Maybe I should map out plots more often.

Also been writing poetry. Used to write some really crappy poems that I loathe to look at now. Been writing poetry again and it's closer to what I actually want it to be. Still afraid to put it out there and get laughed at though.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I knew that crutch words were a thing.
I did not know that "that" is my crutch word.
Now I know that.
I should probably fix that.
That's all.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Control-F (search) is good for that. I open the whole piece and control-F to find repeating phrases. It works great.

It's been more a matter of repeating constructions and rhythms than phrases. Much harder to weed out with a find search, unfortunately! :(

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I'm doing a character journal for my 4 main characters. It is funny how they can see a question totally different then the others. One question was "What keeps you up at night" The first two I interviewed said things like bad thoughts, but one woman said something like, "eating bad food". :roll: That gave me a great look into how she sees things.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing a character journal for my 4 main characters. It is funny how they can see a question totally different then the others. One question was "What keeps you up at night" The first two I interviewed said things like bad thoughts, but one woman said something like, "eating bad food". :roll: That gave me a great look into how she sees things.

I've been trying to find a good character journal. I'm afraid I'm just not clicking with my main character.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. I can't write people dying. I had this huge plan for my character to kick start her adventure out of guilt when three people died when she could have saved them...but it was too sad, and I made the three injured instead. I just don't like sad books.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Just finished the first draft of my next novel - Damnation. It came in at 103K, which is right where I wanted it. I'm pleased with the work - and love the ending in particular because it plays right into the next 2 books of the series.

So, I'm going to take a couple days off to do some yard work, motorcycle maintenance, then take a ride up to Steamboat Springs to relax and empty my mind.

Then I'll start editing.

Yay!

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Sigh. I can't write people dying. I had this huge plan for my character to kick start her adventure out of guilt when three people died when she could have saved them...but it was too sad, and I made the three injured instead. I just don't like sad books.

My last novel ended with a downer - and one of the reviewers on Amazon remarked about that (but still gave me 5 stars). Sometimes bad things must happen as motive for what will happen next.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Can't seem to finish last little bit of editing. I'm distracting myself, doing everything but tapping keys. So, I guess my writing is only on my mind. It sure isn't filling up the pages.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score

I'm the opposite, it's always a surprise if there's anyone left standing at the end. :e2brows:

Wondering why I'm still not at the end of this mss I fully expected to be finished with by now.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the opposite, it's always a surprise if there's anyone left standing at the end. :e2brows:

Wondering why I'm still not at the end of this mss I fully expected to be finished with by now.

Easy. Not everyone is dead yet. Here, I'll help. :e2chain:

(In all seriousness, good luck!)

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
That moment when you realize you might have to change the name of one of your WiPs...

...because the name you gave the magical-girl protagonist of that story would be better for the magical-girl protagonist of another of your story ideas.

:greenie