• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
On the flip side, I might take a project which didn't seem to have any home in the mass paperback world and put it up on the website (with very noticeable changes). Decent following on there and seems to be growing at a steady enough rate.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I haven't written in the past few days but I think that's because the current chapter is kinda a slog and not much is happening. I'll have to make a note of that to tighten up in editing and push through it. Also been thinking about what the next project would be, something much shorter.

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about how intimidating it can be to have someone read your work and give feedback, and how disappointing and near impossible it can feel when a part you really liked just didn't go over well or didn't work at all. But the magical part is when you keep at it and fix those issues and you end up with something you like even better. I'm working on my first novel and I'm using a close friend to read a few paragraphs I'm unsure about every now and then. Said friend has some problems with reading comprehension so using them seems like a great opportunity to learn how to write with clarity. Just having a ball with it honestly!

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Working on a serial killer/FBI story. I enjoy working with the concept, as usual, but my favorite parts of writing it so far are the moody conversations between the two main characters. Also the little clues I'm leaving about the "mythology" of the killer. Things that build atmosphere. The plot, not so much.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I realized that, in two different projects, I have two side characters with "Douglas" in their names. One is "MacDouglas" and the other is just "Douglas", but still super similar. Luckily, they are both in different WIPs and very different (personality-wise, age-wise, and with their influence on their respective plots.) If not for these differences someone would get a name change. Hilariously though, I chose MacDouglas' name because (if I remember correctly) it means "Son of the Sea". I just chose Douglas' name on a whim.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
At the moment, any nascent motivation I was feeling to start a new project has disappeared. I got a form rejection on a partial, and I admit that it really threw me for a loop. Firstly, the request had seemed really promising because the agent expressed interest in the topic I wrote about. Secondly, it's a rejection based on pages rather than just the query. Thirdly, I'm just feeling so worn out by the battering I've taken from the publishing industry. I don't think it matters how hard I try or how well I write or how much readers might like it. I just don't think I'm going to be that person who succeeds, you know? Hard to get myself to want to write any more.

Yeah, I'm still feeling pretty low about this. Maybe I should wander over to Rejection and Dejection.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2::Hug2:
That's awful. I'm so, so sorry. Please indulge in chocolate or margaritas or whatever floats your boat.
---
I've got a character strung out between a**hole and angel and I'm second-guessing every bit I write about him because I don't want to tip the balance too far in any one direction. A snail could get this draft down faster.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Angelliz, so sorry to hear about your latest battle in the trenches. I've felt the exact same way more than once, often without even a rejection to prompt it. Every time I look at a bookshelf I think "Gee, there are a lot of folks out there who have already done this; a lot of ideas and styles. How can I compete with that?" I just came off of a pretty big block myself. In fact, YOU helped me get over it. I'm motivated to finish the project, and I'm trying hard not to worry about whether it'll find a home. Try to remember this is a natural dip in the ebb and flow of life. You'll swing up again.

Regarding my latest work, I'm plotting my first mystery short story and it's pretty hard. I had envisioned a time-traveler going back to solve a murder. Only a few indictments survive. No newspapers. No transcripts. It sounded intriguing until I realized that in order to do this he can't "solve" the case in typical mystery fashion because it'd blow his cover! And, as a short story, it would take a lot of words to establish the time-travel element successfully without bloating the text; might detract from the action. Now I'm thinking of writing it as a standalone, featuring either a detective or someone close to the family involved in the crime cracks it ("A Jury of Her Peers" is one of my favorite mysteries in this respect). It's based on a true story, so I have all the pieces I need. Just have to rename, rearrange, and learn where to plant clues.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
At the moment, any nascent motivation I was feeling to start a new project has disappeared. I got a form rejection on a partial, and I admit that it really threw me for a loop. Firstly, the request had seemed really promising because the agent expressed interest in the topic I wrote about. Secondly, it's a rejection based on pages rather than just the query. Thirdly, I'm just feeling so worn out by the battering I've taken from the publishing industry. I don't think it matters how hard I try or how well I write or how much readers might like it. I just don't think I'm going to be that person who succeeds, you know? Hard to get myself to want to write any more.

Yeah, I'm still feeling pretty low about this. Maybe I should wander over to Rejection and Dejection.

I sorry you are dealing with this, many here (including me) have been in your position - and it sucks.

I wrote a ton back in the 80, shopped them around, got some nibbles but that was it. I was so depressed by the process that I gave up writing - and only took it up again a few years ago. With that perspective, I suggest you write for yourself, and if going the traditional publishing route isn't working, you might consider self publishing. I've had some success, not a lot, but I feel good about what I write and love the responses.

Stories are like an itch in my head, and writing scratches them - which feels good. True, I'll never be a Stephen King or James Patterson - none of my stuff will be on the silver screen, but I've entertained many, inspired a few, made a tiny bit of money (that was never my goal), most importantly though, I've loved every minute of it.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Taylor Harbin, well that cheered me up, to hear I helped you (in however small a way) to get over a block!

indianroads, thanks for the input. It's been a convoluted series of events that has put me where I am in my trying-to-get-published journey. I'm still committed to getting traditionally published. Self-publishing just wouldn't work for me. I don't have the time or temperament to make self-publishing work for me. I wouldn't be able to do my work justice on my own, and I'd frankly rather keep it to myself than see it flounder. Smaller presses are a more likely possibility.

As for writing for myself, I've been doing exactly that for 15 years, while simultaneously pursuing the getting-published thing. I do get a lot of fulfillment out of it--out of the process of writing and creating a presentable product. And I do tell myself that's enough. But in a lot of ways, it's not, or it was enough for a long time, and maybe it still is, but I'm starting to wear thin on telling myself that it is enough. At some point you look at six full length, publishable manuscripts sitting on your hard-drive and think that you don't need more novels under your belt, you need something to happen with the ones you already have before you bother writing any more.

Anyway, that's where I am.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
angeliz2k - I understand completely.

I also tell myself that the satisfaction of crafting a well told story is enough... but you know, I'd love a NYT Best Seller and a Movie Deal.

What's on my mind about my novel?

1st draft of the last book of the series is done, and I've run it through the first of eight to ten editing passes before I send it to my editor.

Today I took a break to work on the back-cover blurb / product description --- AND I HATE WRITING THOSE. I'd rather write ten chapters of a first draft than write a 150 word promo. Actually, I've been working on it for a while - first cut was before I started in on the first draft - second cut was before the first editing run through - anyway I hate writing those things.

Last edited:

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
So as I was sitting and writing, changing some stuff for the outline and adding notes...you know just generally letting the story take the shape it wants. I was going over character motivations, the needs and wants. Character by character I start to realize that a lot of the key players want the same thing but all express it in different ways in terms of the path they chose. I didn't plan it that way but somehow I've ended up with a concise main theme for my novel? I'm just rolling with it at this point ahahaha.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to send my next manuscript off to my publisher, and just discovered another author has a book coming out in September with the same location, the same theme, a main character who looks the same as mine ...

So. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do about that. Because I'm not just throwing away a book I've been working on for a couple of years, but she's more established than I am, and it doesn't look good!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I'm about to send my next manuscript off to my publisher, and just discovered another author has a book coming out in September with the same location, the same theme, a main character who looks the same as mine ...

So. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do about that. Because I'm not just throwing away a book I've been working on for a couple of years, but she's more established than I am, and it doesn't look good!

I agree that you shouldn't give up. Not after you worked so hard on your book. And...just because I'm curious...how did you find out about the other upcoming book?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
So as I was sitting and writing, changing some stuff for the outline and adding notes...you know just generally letting the story take the shape it wants. I was going over character motivations, the needs and wants. Character by character I start to realize that a lot of the key players want the same thing but all express it in different ways in terms of the path they chose. I didn't plan it that way but somehow I've ended up with a concise main theme for my novel? I'm just rolling with it at this point ahahaha.

That's always a great feeling when something you didn't plan clicks together! :)

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that you shouldn't give up. Not after you worked so hard on your book. And...just because I'm curious...how did you find out about the other upcoming book?

An Instagram cover reveal! Before I realised what it was I saw the cover and thought "Oh, that's just like I want my next cover to look like!". And then I looked the book up, and ... it's almost the same as the one I'm just finishing now. But this author has a famous father, so her book will look great and mine will look like a copy of it. :gone:

It has actually jolted me into deciding to change some things I was thinking about changing anyway. But - argh! I think some people will read mine and think I copied the other one!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
An Instagram cover reveal! Before I realised what it was I saw the cover and thought "Oh, that's just like I want my next cover to look like!". And then I looked the book up, and ... it's almost the same as the one I'm just finishing now. But this author has a famous father, so her book will look great and mine will look like a copy of it. :gone:

It has actually jolted me into deciding to change some things I was thinking about changing anyway. But - argh! I think some people will read mine and think I copied the other one!

I know of plenty of books that people think are copies but aren't really. Like how people are always comparing my favorite book series, The Children of the Red King to (IMHO the overrated) Harry Potter books. I watched the Harry Potter movies before I read The Children of the Red King series. I loved The Children of the Red King because I connected with the characters much more easily then I did with the Harry Potter series.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is your book might be some people's favorite while some people might like the other author.

Also, when I was editing my MG book Barney and Mr. Thomas some people compared it to this adult TV show ( I don't watch and have no interest in watching) about an inventor and a kid going on adventures just like in my book, Barney and Mr. Thomas . I didn't change a thing and it turned out fine.

Good luck regardless of what you do!

Last edited:

Natasitsa

Registered
Reaction score
I am just trying to wrap my head around the fact that my latest short story is actually quite funny. Humor has never been my strongest attribute so I have no idea how this happened. I intented the story to be more on the horror side but it turnt out more of a dark comedy, which I honestly love. Still needs a lot of editing though.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I just finished my second draft of Barney, Mr. Thomas, and the Alligator Creature. For some uncanny reason my books' final page number always seems to end on something with a zero at the end. Like Barney and Mr. Thomas was published at 200 pages and Barney, Mr. Thomas, and the Alligator Creature's second draft is at 160 pages. I'm kinda liking the way they end on zeros. Of course, I know that after a few more drafts, Barney, Mr. Thomas, and the Alligator Creature might have more or fewer pages than 160.

Just thought that was odd.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I am halfway done the first draft (4/8 stories) of Apocalypse Stoppers ! It took me months just to finish the 4th story in it. Oddly enough, the 4th story is the shortest short story I've written. I guess I just wanted to move onto another story.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You're really making some progress. I'm so jealous you can work on multiple projects at once. I've tried, but end up only focusing on one.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a dozen individual vignettes today and some flash fiction. I'm so glad to be writing again. I might even start on other projects!