• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever get the feeling that what you’re writing just isn’t important enough to exist, that writing for entertainment is somehow wrong?

Yes. But I think it can be fixed in revision. ...
:roll:

I love it.

My problem right now is letting go of current events. I want to escape into my writing. It's tearing me up. At least financially I'm doing well at the moment. With no work given the COVID 19 lock down here, at least that bit is okay for me for a while anyway. But the unrest is unsettling. Serious looting went on last night only three miles from here. Stores I shop at were hit.

Makes it hard to settle down to write. I did manage to get my piece done for Wednesday's critique group.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Bookmarking that for next year. I'm halfway through my draft. No way I'll be done in time for this year.

(Though I noticed that both previous winners had stories set in Australia, starring Australians. Mine is, uh, not. My working-class Londoner protags will definitely hurt my chances, lol)

I don't want to give out incorrect information, but I'm pretty sure an Australian setting isn't a requirement. HarperCollins Australia publishes commercial fiction with non-Australian settings - so it's worth a try! - though I know they're interested in manuscripts that will work as book club reads, and local settings might have a little advantage over that.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Currently having fun.
A character is exploring a planet dominated by a culture of cephalopods. He's in an underwater city, visiting a creature he considers a friend.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Currently having fun.
A character is exploring a planet dominated by a culture of cephalopods. He's in an underwater city, visiting a creature he considers a friend.

I love having fun when I write. It's the best feeling in the world. Just thinking of it makes me want to write. I haven't written on my WIPs in a while...

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever get the feeling that what you’re writing just isn’t important enough to exist, that writing for entertainment is somehow wrong?
Sometimes. But then I read something entertaining and I realize how darn important that is for mental health. Write away!

My problem right now is letting go of current events. I want to escape into my writing. It's tearing me up. At least financially I'm doing well at the moment. With no work given the COVID 19 lock down here, at least that bit is okay for me for a while anyway. But the unrest is unsettling. Serious looting went on last night only three miles from here. Stores I shop at were hit.

:Hug2: I hear you!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I write for myself and my own enjoyment/entertainment. I see that as no different than any other form of entertainment (sports, gaming, dancing, gardening, crafts, etc) that others enjoy. That's valid in and of itself. If it amuses other, that's the icing rose on the cake. Honestly, I agree with Stephen King's stance that you write to satisfy your first reader (whoever that is). It keeps me focused and doesn't let other fears creep in.

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
I'm 85% into the draft and I know the ending, but really struggling to find my way there in a truly satisfying way.

Might have to put it aside for a month and work on something else.

I'd be worried, but this happens every time.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda stuck. I'm writing a battle planning scene that I want to read quick and mean. (Sigh, yeah I hear the little rhyme.) Right now I am dragging myself through it, and I feel like my waders are full of sand. So anxious to put it behind me and get into the parts that (for me) are fun to write.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Wrote a family row scene and am not happy with it.

The pov character's uncle comes across as too much of a moustache-twirling bad guy. He is indeed a bad guy. He is an opportunist, intent on forcing my MC down a path the MC does not want to take. Hence the row.

I am thinking it should be a little more nuanced than what I have already committed to the page.

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
I've started another novel and like the first chapter, but I keep backing away from the next scene. I know where I want to go, but the details of the upcoming fight are eluding me. My characters often seem to speak to me and push me forward, but the two in this novel are still a little shy.

I'll probably throw something on the page tonight, just to get a toehold, but I foresee a lot of rewriting.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hit a roadblock in my WIP. Following the old ram-my-head-against-the-wall-until-it-stops-being-a-wall approach. :Headbang: I figure it'll be like that Doctor Who episode and I'll get through eventually . . .

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've been on a decent roll this last month. I have written just over 40,000 words since May 1st. But I feel like my story is moving way too slow, and I feel that too many elements have to be built up before the meat of the story takes place. I will be there soon, but I didn't think I'd be on Page 161 and not "there" yet. And it is impossible to not be critical. Very critical, actually. "My main character is so boring"; "This is just flat-out bad writing"; "Nobody is ever gonna wanna read this"; "This story is going nowhere"; "Does any of this even make sense?"; "Why do I bother trying?"; "I am a terrible writer"; "I wrote a thousand words today, and I will probably end up deleting four hundred of them when it comes to editing". Why do we do this to ourselves? Lmao.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
After not being able to sleep stressing over my current manuscript I woke up, all inspired to write, sat down a couple of hours ago … and I have now have a grand total of 158 words!

I'm thinking it's not helping that I'm in final edits for another book, and I am working on similar scenes for both. I think they might be too similar. I'm getting everything confused.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
It’s always dispiriting when you know you’re better suited to a particular genre/form but secretly wish you could be good at another, especially if you enjoy reading in that genre.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
It’s always dispiriting when you know you’re better suited to a particular genre/form but secretly wish you could be good at another, especially if you enjoy reading in that genre.

We can only get better at what we do. I say, follow your heart and write what pleases you.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
My MC has been caught by foes, the world continues without him, and he’s stuck until I think of a way to have him rescued.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda stuck. I'm writing a battle planning scene that I want to read quick and mean. (Sigh, yeah I hear the little rhyme.) Right now I am dragging myself through it, and I feel like my waders are full of sand. So anxious to put it behind me and get into the parts that (for me) are fun to write.

Does that suggest it will drag for the reader as well?

But, you can move on and come back to rewrite it later. That always works for me.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've been on a decent roll this last month. I have written just over 40,000 words since May 1st. But I feel like my story is moving way too slow, and I feel that too many elements have to be built up before the meat of the story takes place. I will be there soon, but I didn't think I'd be on Page 161 and not "there" yet. And it is impossible to not be critical. Very critical, actually. "My main character is so boring"; "This is just flat-out bad writing"; "Nobody is ever gonna wanna read this"; "This story is going nowhere"; "Does any of this even make sense?"; "Why do I bother trying?"; "I am a terrible writer"; "I wrote a thousand words today, and I will probably end up deleting four hundred of them when it comes to editing". Why do we do this to ourselves? Lmao.
Because it gets better and gets there eventually.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm good. I've managed to get two evenings of nice weather, writing in the backyard until the mosquitos come out. I'm ready for Wed critique.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm spending the morning on my new computer, retyping the work I lost when my old computer crashed a few days ago. So that's fun. :D I'm still not used to the new keyboard so 100% of my words have typos!

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid there was this sixteen year old who was in the local paper for having written a book. Now that I'm publishing my own book, I causally told my mom about that and wouldn't it be cool if that happened to me? Tonight at dinner my mom told me that on Wednesday afternoon a reporter is actually coming by to talk about my book and about me. I'm nervous and scared. On one hand this would be great for my publicity and on the other hand, my social anxiety is kicking in.
Just rambling out loud here...

Just finished reading a book that was so incredible that I feel like mine are terrible...

Uh, so how's everyone else been doing? I've been so busy on Instagram lately, and with marketing, and with college, I haven't been here for a while.

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score

I feel that way so often. Whenever I finish a book regardless if it was good or not I always want to write in that style, genre, have the same sort of ending. I just get so envious reading.