• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I left the house Tuesday. I scurried right back. :tongue

Yeah, I'm usually under the mindset that nothing good will come from leaving the house. But sometimes you have to do research. Under those circumstances, it might not be too bad. :ROFL:

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
One of my goals for 2019 was to be more focused and disciplined on writing instead of coming up with reasons to put it off.

I've been drawn into that goal kicking and screaming, but I'm starting to see some benefits.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Yeah, I'm usually under the mindset that nothing good will come from leaving the house. But sometimes you have to do research. Under those circumstances, it might not be too bad. :ROFL:

Sometimes research comes to your door in the form of research materials, and sometimes you wait impatiently for days and days, and it still hasn't arrived and you really just want to have it in your hands, and . . .

Yeah, so, I'm waiting (impatiently) for some research materials to show up in the mail.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I sent two stories back out on submission, one I had conveniently forgotten about (good thing too since that particular market only accepts submissions twice a year). Now that July is over and all my commitments finished, I can finally get back to editing. I’m beginning to think that the only chance I have of getting a book published is to sell pro rate shorts. Books can be so soul-sucking. I’ve only got one idea in the tank that I feel like I might seriously pursue in the future, but the others aren’t worth the trouble.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Ah! I'm ready to submit my novel to my beta who has been wanting to see my WIP, The Door in My Hand, for some time now. But I'm so afraid!:scared:

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Query letters. Ugh! How can something so short be so tough to write, and I haven't even submitted one to be torn apart by the squirrels yet. I'm also not sure from which two character's POV I should write the query for. The book switches between three, but the third one is definitely not in the running. I'm leaning toward Josef because he seems to have more at stake if he fails than Jennie, but I'll write one from both angles and see which one resonates more with the critiques. Josef and Jennie are pretty much equal to each other in the amount of time I spend in their POV in the story.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Query letters. Ugh! How can something so short be so tough to write, and I haven't even submitted one to be torn apart by the squirrels yet.

You said it. Been having some difficulty trimming mine down because one of the major characters takes the name of a character who dies, so I had to go into a lengthy explanation about it. In short, query letters aren't fun. :p

--------

Browsing agents again. One seems like she could be a good fit and technically, she might be interested in the book, except that's kind of contradicting the vibe I'm getting based on the profile as a whole. Might send it anyway. Also still not content with the opening paragraph, really need to sit down and re-write it sometime soon.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why I can be excited thinking over my story in the morning, spend all day eagerly thinking about it and everything I love about it, then get home and have that motivation and confidence go plllft.

I hate it.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why I can be excited thinking over my story in the morning, spend all day eagerly thinking about it and everything I love about it, then get home and have that motivation and confidence go plllft.

I hate it.

Are you me!? I hate it too.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com

I hate it.

That has happened to me so many times. Usually it's because I'm exhausted from work or being around people all day. Takes the energy right out of me.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a dozen really important things I should be doing, and yet I'm here in the backyard enjoying the 75 degree 8:45 pm calm looking at my second novel MS, and this forum of course.

The dogs are happy.

Lcarver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure this new story is working out. It's moving so slowly compared to my usual 'right to the action' style. It's making me edgy.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! I'm ready to submit my novel to my beta who has been wanting to see my WIP, The Door in My Hand, for some time now. But I'm so afraid!:scared:
What's the worst that can happen?

I need an editor.
Maybe you just need a beta?

Query letters. Ugh! How can something so short be so tough to write, and I haven't even submitted one to be torn apart by the squirrels yet. I'm also not sure from which two character's POV I should write the query for. The book switches between three, but the third one is definitely not in the running. I'm leaning toward Josef because he seems to have more at stake if he fails than Jennie, but I'll write one from both angles and see which one resonates more with the critiques. Josef and Jennie are pretty much equal to each other in the amount of time I spend in their POV in the story.
Yeah, I'd rather eat razor blades dipped in Drano than write a query letter. Enjoy. ;)

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Not much happening in the first few pages. They're meant to build atmosphere and the main character, except many readers probably find that boring considering there's no clear goal.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Editing pass #3.
It's tough to concentrate with a bouncing grand daughter careening through my office, asking, "Whatcha doin' Grandpa... huh?"

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
My good writing comes when I'm in the flow, so to speak. If I have to work at it, it's crap.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
My good writing comes when I'm in the flow, so to speak. If I have to work at it, it's crap.

Yes, this a million times over. I can feel when I'm slowing down, and know what I'm going to write next is bad. Sometimes I just have to push through.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote 1,800 words yesterday, and I'm at that point now today.