• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Betas for Fantasy/Steampunk Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRDurkin

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryanrdurkin.blogspot.com
Edited to Add: I have a 2-page synopsis (620 words) describing the entire main plot. If you'd like to read it to see if the book is something you'd be interested in beta reading, please let me know and I can send it to you first!

Thanks for looking at this thread! Here are the details:

Genre: It's definitely fantasy, and it has a goodly dose of steampunk. There are also hints of science fiction in various portions of it. Keep in mind, if you're looking for the steampunk and sci-fi tech to "make sense," you'll be disappointed. I went with stuff that seemed fun and interesting, and it's not driven by any sort of fact.

Feedback: I am NOT looking for line-by-line feedback, so don't worry about that! Obviously, if you see a typo or a grammatical error and want to point it out, please do. But don't feel obligated to go through this with a fine-tooth comb.

What I'm looking for is to make sure the pacing is good throughout (gets the reader hooked, keeps them reading throughout) and to make sure there aren't any sagging portions or plot holes. I'd also like to make sure the characterization is solid.

I've been working really hard to eliminate repetitive/clumsy sentence structures, so if you happen to see any of that still going on, please point it out. But again, I'm not looking for a line-by-line, painstakingly slow crit.

That being said, please be brutally honest with me. If something is just not working for you, please let me know, and let me know why. I'm pretty laid-back, so I can take some pretty hard criticism without getting upset over it. You're doing ME a service, and I'll always appreciate that!

Publishing: The goal, of course, is to have this book published in the traditional method. I'm not really interested in self-publishing, so I don't need any tips on that.

Your Credentials: You don't need any! I'd prefer someone who's well-read in the fantasy genre, but that's about it. You don't need to be a published author. After all, it's not other authors I'm trying to please, it's readers. I just need someone who enjoys reading fantasy and is willing to be honest with me.

Other Notes: The manuscript is about 95K words long. It is in submission format: New Times Roman, 12pt. font, double-spaced. I can give it to you chapter-by-chapter, or I can give it to you in one file. This is NOT the rough draft. It has been edited and polished since it was first completed, so hopefully, most of the downright amateur mistakes will be taken care of already.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.