I have this picture. (Second try up.)

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I started giving a book cover a go but did not like the first attempt so much. It didn't scream out "different" -- as a good friend said, the first cover looked generic and did not stand out. I'm not here to whine about the first cover, however. :gone:

Here is the cover I have so far:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3381/othermaybecovercopy.jpg

Obviously this is still a work-in-progress. I am looking at changing the font used (Footlight MT Light) - I don't like how it looks - and possibly those tiny spark shapes around the text/artwork.

Would anyone like to offer some insight on it?
...Could this cover potentially capture your interest on a website?

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
There are some nice elements there and it does stand out. I have no idea what the book is about, though. I think you can eliminate the words "a novel."

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I LOVE THIS.

And I'm hard to please when it comes to design. :D

I'd suggest an oval-ish vignette to darken the edges of the cover, and more depth in the background using gradients.

I LOVE the composition of this, the color, the sense of motion, the urgency/energy implied by the title extending past the frame, and the type treatment on the title (though I suggest putting all the text in caps, or changing the byline typeface to perhaps a bold sans serif for contrast).

ETA: Also, might wanna experiment with roughening up the edges of the circuit hearts. They're a little too clean when compared to the wildness of the sparks.

Great job.

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
I like it. What's your genre?

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
For those who can't see.
othermaybecovercopy.jpg

I actually like it. It makes me think the book is a young adult SF that has a human & AI love affair in it.

badlandz

Registered
Reaction score
I like the original as a concept, I downloaded it to play... I like it a bit better when the contrast is tweaked, a bit more red (to give it a hint of purple rather than greenish blue), and ... somehow... if the white/blue edges were sharper (but I couldn't do that just tweaking contrast.

Overall, I like it though. But do delete "a novel" and just leave "by..."

Hiroko

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't expect such positive replies. Thank you, everyone. :e2flowers

There are some nice elements there and it does stand out. I have no idea what the book is about, though. I think you can eliminate the words "a novel."

I like the original as a concept, I downloaded it to play... I like it a bit better when the contrast is tweaked, a bit more red (to give it a hint of purple rather than greenish blue), and ... somehow... if the white/blue edges were sharper (but I couldn't do that just tweaking contrast.

Overall, I like it though. But do delete "a novel" and just leave "by..."

I see with the "a novel"; I thought it might be a little clunky. I like the blue-green hue, though!

I LOVE THIS.

And I'm hard to please when it comes to design. :D

I'd suggest an oval-ish vignette to darken the edges of the cover, and more depth in the background using gradients.

I LOVE the composition of this, the color, the sense of motion, the urgency/energy implied by the title extending past the frame, and the type treatment on the title (though I suggest putting all the text in caps, or changing the byline typeface to perhaps a bold sans serif for contrast).

ETA: Also, might wanna experiment with roughening up the edges of the circuit hearts. They're a little too clean when compared to the wildness of the sparks.

Great job.

Much obliged. :D I'll play with the design a little more; I think deepening the edges could give a darker feel. I do believe I've just gotten another idea for the background.

Wow, that is one SWEEEEEEEET cover!

Just like your comment. :tongue

I can't see it. It won't load

I can't see it either. Everything on the page except your images loads, then I get a server-isn't-responding message.

Pooh. I could attempt loading the image to another site, as I can't attach files here (or so it would appear). Wouldn't want to exclude you on the viewing.

For those who can't see.
othermaybecovercopy.jpg

I actually like it. It makes me think the book is a young adult SF that has a human & AI love affair in it.

I like it. What's your genre?

Well, Gale kind of nailed the genre on the head. :Wha: You're on the right track as far as human/AI interaction goes, but I might spoil the book if I laid out all the details.

Hiroko

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, take two. I hate to double-post, but I didn't think making another thread would be appropriate.

Warning: It's pretty huge.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/othermaybecovercopy2.jpg/

I added some effects and whatnot, but I'm trying not to overdo it simultaneously. I like this product. Does it look nice to anyone else but me?