• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ashley Grayson Agency

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
No worries :) I got a request from another agent in the same batch of mail, so I the blow was considerably softened - plus, she handwrote a few extra comments for me.

She responded via snail mail - when she had me mail the partial, she asked for a SASE.

flyinghorses12

Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Denise Dumars in early June and never heard back :( I obviously assume a rejection as Publishers Marketplace stated she was only even taking queries til June 21, but I was looking forward to getting some of the personalized feedback it soulds like many of you got. Oh well...

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I thought they didn't accept unsolicited queries? I would welcome the scalpel over deafening silence.

I had a nice experience with Denise when they opened up a brief window looking for urban fantasy/paranormal a month or so ago. She rejected the same day, but was positive about the query. She said it wasn't for her, but she could see it working for someone else.

I'm wondering, flyinghorses, if your query got lost in cyberspace :(

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Denise rejected a secondary-world fantasy of mine a month ago, the day after my email query: "Thanks for thinking of me, but this isn't quite what I'm looking for right now. Good luck with it elsewhere." Short, formal, and quickly sent -- I'd rather have that than a no-response.

I don't know Denise, but I met Ashley years ago at a World Fantasy Convention.
I'd stumbled through reading a short story that won a writing contest, and afterward Ashley asked me if I had any longer fiction. I wasn't ready yet, but he tolerated my clumsy efforts and gave me strong feedback. I stopped writing for ten years because of a busy career, and just started again last year.
I might take a chance and query Ashley again, but not until I can offer my best project. He's California-based, not NY, but everyone there is an expert agent.

Filigree

mairi

E-pubbed author
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Ashley, and he has my full for almost a month now. Wont nudge until I have to.

DionIsis

Registered
Reaction score
Hey kids--
If the agent doesn't reply, it probably means he or she didn't get the query. FlyingHorses12, if you didn't hear from me it might be that I didn't get your e-query. Please send it again or email to ask. That's the correct procedure.
Thanks,
Denise

gladspooky

Registered
Reaction score
queried on 11/30, got a rejection on 12/1 (today)

fast and personalized response (which is like gold), so i'm completely not bummed out at all

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent an e-submission to Denise, with her permission.
Has anyone read her blog? She posts snippets from her slush pile on it, and gives funny answers: Slush Pile Hell

Is that Denise Dumars? I thought it was completely anonymous?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
It was on the bottom of her email to me, so I assumed it was hers. I'd never heard of it before, so maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion?

I have no idea. :)

MadameApeFace

How do you work this crazy thing?
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything on Ashley Grayson recently? Both Agent Query and Query Tracker indicate the agency is closed to queries, but Grayson's AAR profile says nothing to the effect, and the agency blog hasn't been updated since 2011. For the moment, this one's in the Last Resort pile...

UPDATE: Never mind! I am such a maroon. A very simple search led me to their PM page, where they say they are closed to queries from unpublished authors.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Grayson passed away in '17 (obit). Agency closed soon thereafter.