• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ashley Grayson Agency

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, another agent asked for material, but I haven't heard much about this one. Anyone know anything? I know P&E is upset that they aren't taking any unsolicited queries, but Richard Henshaw did the same thing for over a year so I don't really understand why that would be bad. Anyway, any info is great.
Thanks
SC

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They're not refusing queries, just not guaranteeing a response unless they want to see more. Unfortunate (no one likes a brush-off), but understandable as the number of submissions increases.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
scfirenice said:
Hey all, another agent asked for material, but I haven't heard much about this one. Anyone know anything? I know P&E is upset that they aren't taking any unsolicited queries, but Richard Henshaw did the same thing for over a year so I don't really understand why that would be bad. Anyway, any info is great.
Thanks
SC

Unsolicited submissions is one thing, but queries? Queries are always unsolicited.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not always, since some agencies are closed to queries unless one has a referral. Anyway, perhaps you could clarify the blurb on P&E as to exactly what is disturbing? :Hail:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
CaoPaux said:
Not always, since some agencies are closed to queries unless one has a referral. Anyway, perhaps you could clarify the blurb on P&E as to exactly what is disturbing? :Hail:

You're right. I'd be less disturbed, if at all, had they simply stated "by referral only."

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Ashley's legit, and a good, helpful, friendly guy. I'll ask him about his current submission policies.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
However, the P&E notice was based on an actual letter where a writer reported they "can no longer guarantee to respond to unsolicited queries. Include a SASE only if you have no phone or email address at which you may be contacted if we should wish to see more of your material."

How much effort can it be to write no on the query letter and poke it back in the SASE to go out in the next mail pickup? After all, SASE's are generally standard within the industry.

I wouldn't expect them to use email to say no unless the writer was overseas or they urgently wanted to see the manuscript regardless of the writer's location. I certainly wouldn't expect them to ever telephone, either, unless it was a Pavlovian query strong enough to make them say send it.

LindsayP

Registered
Reaction score
Any experience with Carolyn Grayson?

Hi! I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with Carolyn Grayson or the Ashley Grayson agency? Is she legit? Thanks!!!:)

WriteStuff

Registered
Reaction score
Oh well, another one bites the dust. I wish I had read this link earlier and realized Ashley was a GUY. I wonder how long he'll laugh, or if he will, when he reads: Dear MS. Grayson?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I expect he's used to it. Now, does he ding a good query for "Ms.", or ping an average one for "Mr."? :idea:

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
sadly my query was to MS Grayson. Fortunately there IS a Ms Grayson who is a partner, Carolyn. Only if you used Ashley in the header.....

Last edited:

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
Gee, I got a rejection...if they don't talk to the ones they aren't interested...what does receiving a rejection mean...besides the obvious.

What is it they call reading between the lines of a form rejection? LOLOL

David

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
It's interesting to note that just recently Dan Hooker, of the Grayson agency, just passed away, and was pushing his clients work right up until the minute he died. I was totally shocked to find this out, since Dan personally rejected me twice (just recently) and it's very unsettling to read his emails again.

My heart-felt contrition to the Grayson Agency.

Tri

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
A few months back I promised I'd ask Ashley about his submission policies. I've done so. He says he's taking submissions, and that he hasn't instituted any especially novel policies.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

MikeyD

Two Newbie Posts in One Day!

Hello - I just wanted to point out that I met both Ashley and Caroline Grayson at the 2006 San Francisco Writers Conference and that they are legitimate, working agents.

The only thing I would detract (and this is highly personal rather than professional opinion) was that I had a difficult time connecting with them on a formal pitch. This is a personality thing, not a business thing.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
You had trouble connecting? It's easy to start a conversation with Ashley. What's hard is to stop one.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
That is the truth. That man can talk. Carolyn is a bit more hesitant on the phone, but that may be because she doesn't get a word in edgewise! I ended up signing with them, so I hope it goes well.

LindsayP

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on sigining with Ashley Grayson!! They just rejected me, but way to go! I wish you all the best!

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
They just signed a friend of mine, too. Another new/unpublished author. She posts on AW so I'll see if she wants to "out" herself and point her to this thread for her own comments. Even if she doesn't, I just wanted to add that they do seem to be signing new talent. =)