Status
Not open for further replies.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think many people are just in denial about the fact of what I am trying to say.
Have you considered the possibility that your choice of words is not effectively conveying your ideas?

To me, it's not clear if you are saying,
a) Nobody reads books in which the characters are not the same race as the reader
or
b) I, Vedren, only read books with characters who are of the same race as me. Therefore, I am sure that all other readers do the same
or
c) My books are not selling well and I am sure it's because white readers refuse to purchase my books as they have black characters
or
d) I have no idea whether the majority of readers read books in which the characters do not reflect the readers' own race/gender/sexuality/whatever, and I am interested in conducting a small poll here on AW to find out how broad people's reading interests are.

Vedren

Banned
Reaction score
Have you considered the possibility that your choice of words is not effectively conveying your ideas?

To me, it's not clear if you are saying,
a) Nobody reads books in which the characters are not the same race as the reader
or
b) I, Vedren, only read books with characters who are of the same race as me. Therefore, I am sure that all other readers do the same
or
c) My books are not selling well and I am sure it's because white readers refuse to purchase my books as they have black characters
or
d) I have no idea whether the majority of readers read books in which the characters do not reflect the readers' own race/gender/sexuality/whatever, and I am interested in conducting a small poll here on AW to find out how broad people's reading interests are.

No, what I meant to say is what I said! But thanks, you're too kind!

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, what I meant to say is what I said! But thanks, you're too kind!

What you said was "This isn't fact"; "I believe many don't read outside what we know"; "I feel whites may feel black books are 'Hood books'"; and "I think we should give each other a chance." So, you believe something that is not based on fact, and you are asking us to change our reading choices based on your nonfactual belief.

It's certainly something to think about. Quite illuminating, in fact.

Vedren

Banned
Reaction score
What you said was "This isn't fact"; "I believe many don't read outside what we know"; "I feel whites may feel black books are 'Hood books'"; and "I think we should give each other a chance." So, you believe something that is not based on fact, and you are asking us to change our reading choices based on your nonfactual belief.

It's certainly something to think about. Quite illuminating, in fact.

Not asking anyone to do anything. I asked for your feedback on this topic. I also mentioned for those who may feel this way to open up some. I guess I'm having trouble comprehending the fact you're trying to prove.

Ya see, I guess because I'm, pretty forward with everything, I expect everyone else to. So pour it out. Don't use quotes and things to voice your point, just say what you gotta say... I'm actually interested.

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
I think many people are just in denial about the fact of what I am trying to say.

I'm confused, because at the beginning of your original post you write: "Now this isn't fact."

So if it's not a fact, then why are you trying to debate something false? I don't get it. It's like saying, "This isn't true, but dogs are made of cheese. So what are your thoughts on this scandalous revelation about dogs being made of cheese?"

I'll read what you call a "black" book if the premise interests me. It gets the same consideration any other book on the shelf gets. All I'm looking for is a good story.

As for my skin color: My father is a Purple People Eater and my mother is the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Now try finding fiction on the shelves that represents my racial mix.

Eternal

Registered
Reaction score
As for my skin color: My father is a Purple People Eater and my mother is the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Now try finding fiction on the shelves that represents my racial mix.

Your mother is the Flying Spaghetti Monster! Could you put in a good word for me, I have been hoping for a touch from her noodly appendage for some time.

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
Your mother is the Flying Spaghetti Monster! Could you put in a good word for me, I have been hoping for a touch from her noodly appendage for some time.

Absolutely.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't use quotes and things to voice your point, just say what you gotta say... I'm actually interested.

Okay.

1. I do not understand what you are asking/saying in your original post. Please clarify.

2. An awful lot of people are, like me, saying that they do not understand what you are saying. I would strongly suggest that you re-consider my point, which you previously dismissed, that your writing is failing to convey your thoughts. You are in fact not saying what you mean to say. Your meaning is in your head but it is not translating to the words on the page.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Surely there's a "Chthulu and the Eggplant Princess" romance out there somewhere?

Vedren

Banned
Reaction score
I'm confused, because at the beginning of your original post you write: "Now this isn't fact."

So if it's not a fact, then why are you trying to debate something false? I don't get it. It's like saying, "This isn't true, but dogs are made of cheese. So what are your thoughts on this scandalous revelation about dogs being made of cheese?"

I'll read what you call a "black" book if the premise interests me. It gets the same consideration any other book on the shelf gets. All I'm looking for is a good story.

When I say this isn't fact, I mean my word isn't law. This is my take and my opinion and this is what I feel. So what do you feel? Basically.

It's really that difficult of a project (Smirks). If you find yourself so confused, then this doesn't pertain to you.
:)

Vedren

Banned
Reaction score
Okay.

1. I do not understand what you are asking/saying in your original post. Please clarify.

2. An awful lot of people are, like me, saying that they do not understand what you are saying. I would strongly suggest that you re-consider my point, which you previously dismissed, that your writing is failing to convey your thoughts. You are in fact not saying what you mean to say. Your meaning is in your head but it is not translating to the words on the page.

Oh, I haven't found that an awful lot of people were confused. They just gave feedback on what they got out of the post. There is no question. I was interested in knowing what people felt about my take. But you may not have any feeling on so, I guess we just kinda move along? Good day!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It was a two-fer, too. I don't think I've ever seen that before!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Verden,

Just my personal view on MY reading preferences...

I don't care about the color, gender, political choice, or religion of the author. What I do care about is that the book interest me.

If someone introduces me to a new author who is black and he wrote this really fantastic novel about a fictional rap artist rise and fall. I would not read it. Not because he/she is black because the subject matter is not something I would find interesting. I am sure my son would though...

Now, take the same author and tell me he/she wrote this fantastic SF series and I will go actively search it out to see if it interest me. My son would not... sighhhh

When I started reading SF&F, I fell in love with the works of Andre Norton. I did not know the author was a woman and when I found out I did not stop reading her books.

Salmon Rushdie, while I am not a Muslim, it did not stop me from reading several of his books. Very interesting stuff.

To me, color, gender, and all that other stuff only matters if the person them self has a closed mind. I am sure there are a large percent of people out there that do, but the reality is, you are asking a question of fellow writers who are a bit more open minded and perhaps did not take into consideration.

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
I'm white, and Ralph Ellison's The Invisible Man is one of my very favorite books. It's effin' brilliant. For those who haven't read it - check it out.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
To be fair, some books are just okay and don't make it all the way to good without flopping face-down into bad.

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, some books are just okay and don't make it all the way to good without flopping face-down into bad.

True, nitpicker :tongue
There are always shades of gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.