Author Bio Question

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
If this question is not in the right sub-forum, feel free to move it.

When I look at online forms to submit small fiction pieces--FF is my thang--I often see either a field on the form for "bio" or instructions that ask you to include a bio in the body of an email.

Which bio are they asking for?

A) The formal bio that NF writers include in a query like (for a piece on flies) "I hold 6 Ph.D.'s in fly science and have been researching Tsetse flies since 1964. I have 77 articles published in peer reviewed journals such as Fly World Quarterly, The Fly, and The Flies The Limit.

or

B) The pithy bio that might appear under your ugly picture in the magazine such as "When I'm not reading or writing about flies, I can be found climbing Mount Everest, inventing new ways to harness solar energy or training goldfish to play polo in my backyard pond."

I'm afraid I am a dinosaur and not fully acquainted with the online world of submissions. Thanks

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's closer to B. What they want is information about you as a writer and as the writer of this particular story.

Sea Witch has published umpteen articles on flies and their favorite foods in popular and scholarly journals. She lives and writes in western Canada, which is not as fly-rich as she'd like. This is her first story about flies playing hockey.

Like that.

Maryn, who tailors it to the publication by reading other writers' bios there

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's B. Though you should always include a little bit of A in your cover letter, unless the guidelines specifically say otherwise. I use this form:

---
Dear [Name of Editor(s)],

Enclosed is a [flash/short] story, "Title" (XXXX words).

My recent short fiction sales were to [Your very best market #1, 2, 3] (no more than 3).

Thank you very much in advance for reading and considering my submission.

Sincerely,

Alex Shvartsman
---

If they ask to include a BIO, I use the one from my web site, separately from the above. Include your Twitter handle and website link in your bio, if you have such things.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Also, unless the guidelines state otherwise, most zines want bios written in third person present tense, like Maryn's example above :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score