• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Write Your Way Thin? (and related articles)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It's from a science blog! It's not a hokey ad, I swear!

That said, it's easy to see why this first article caught my eye:

Write Your Way Thin?
(ScienceBlog)

But after I read it, I realized the technique they're talking about is the same one discussed in the following articles:

15-minute Writing Exercise Closes the Gender Gap in University Level Physics
(Discover Magazine)

Simple Writing Exercise Helps Break Vicious Cycle That Holds Back Black Students
(Discover Magazine)

The idea here is that if someone is stressed about being a failure, it makes them more likely to fail.

In the latter two articles, the cause of the stress is due to individual students being afraid they're living up to some stereotype that claims that people of their category aren't as smart as people in some other category.

This stress causes the students to lose confidence, to fixate on external benchmarks instead of their internal goals, and to thereby do worse in their studies. And this creates a self-fulfilling prophecy both in terms of that one student's success and the stereotype within society.

And a short writing exercise reverses the trend! This is so cool!

(It's also very cool to see such clear evidence that racial and gender stereotypes are a head-fake and always were, but I digress.)

So it sounds like, if you're afraid of failing as a writer, one of the most potent things you can do is write out a list of all your most important values or traits as a human being, then spend fifteen minutes writing about why they are important to you.

And maybe this helps explain why writers are sometimes very good at being persistent in the face of depressing odds? We commonly do write about our values and why we think they're important. In other words, some of us have already been doing this exercise, for years, as part of our work as artists.

Last edited:

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Hu. Very interesting. Goes along with one of my own values: positivity. I'm an attitude is everything person. I think positive things often happen to positive people, because they're less likely to self-sabotage, and more likely to take opportunities when they're presented.

song_of_calliope

Registered
Reaction score
Huh. At first I thought it was something about losing weight while sitting around writing which, although it would be a dream come true, sounded a little unrealistic. But this makes sense.

I'm a big believer in positive self-talk in all areas of my life. We all have these little voices in our head that say we're not good enough, smart enough, etc but I think it's important to silence them as much as possible. Or even better, to turn them around and look at things positively. That old Jack Handy idea, if anyone remembers him, is actually not as stupid as it sounded.

It's very similar to some aspects of cognitive behavior therapy where you examine the illogical negative things you say to yourself and try to ground them in reality and look at the evidence. We should learn to go as easy on ourselves as we (generally) do on other people.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
There's an entire book dedicated to this concept, called the Write Yourself Right Diet by Julia Cameron. Journaling and concentrated self-talk does have benefits.